PDA

View Full Version : Bedliner Rims

ridgeracer
11-29-2010, 03:35 PM
I am planning on painting my rims black. I see that a lot of people have had success with spraying bedliner onto their rims and they seem to hold up well to a beating. However before I jump right into things I was hoping to see some bedlinered rims up close. I'm curious how the textured paint looks.

Also I have seen some people paint their rims with a gloss. The wheels look awesome in gloss but only if the tires are practically armor-all clean. And since the tires are rarely that clean out there, the look just doesn't work for me. So another of my concerns is how the bedliner looks with the overall cleanliness.

Anyone have any pics/thoughts on this?

CJM
11-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Paint just wont hold up in the end, no matter how many coats you do it will scratch easy.

I would pay for the powdercoat.

ridgeracer
11-29-2010, 03:55 PM
That's why I was investigating the bedliner. I hear it's far better than the actual paint.

I would do powdercoat but if I was gonna powdercoat then I would tear down the bike and do a bunch of stuff at once.

honda400ex2003
11-29-2010, 03:55 PM
x2 on the powder. the bed liner will fade out and will look stupid imo. it only gets worse and can peel really easy if not bonded correctly and prepped correctly. steve

supertrooper90
11-29-2010, 04:02 PM
I wheel jeeps and have built a few. I have tried a lot of the do it yourself roll on or brush on bed liners, and they really don't hold up that well and like steve said fade over time and look bad. Its also not that inexpensive either you can sell your current wheels and just buy a new set of flat black wheels. I think g force has wheels that are reasonably priced

Bababouie400
11-29-2010, 06:06 PM
ive been looking into this too how would you prep it to make it stay on?

honda400ex2003
11-29-2010, 06:43 PM
take it to a powdercoater thats how you prep it. ;) steve

CJM
11-29-2010, 07:43 PM
Could send them off to Pappy.

Scro
11-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Powdercoated rings/wheels won't last very long, unless you are riding strictly sand. I've done several sets for XC, and it's just not worth it. For durability, it's best to just leave them polished. At least that way you can polish them up yourself.

Another option would be to powdercoat everything on the wheel, except the lip on the outside. If you keep the lip polished, it looks pretty sick.

ridgeracer
11-29-2010, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Scro
Powdercoated rings/wheels won't last very long, unless you are riding strictly sand. I've done several sets for XC, and it's just not worth it. For durability, it's best to just leave them polished. At least that way you can polish them up yourself.

Another option would be to powdercoat everything on the wheel, except the lip on the outside. If you keep the lip polished, it looks pretty sick.

Most of what we ride out here is dunes. But painting everything but the lip might be pretty cool. A lot like bbenders motor

Originally posted by bbender85

my plan was to paint the motor a flat black (high temp), then polish the fin tips and faces of the cases.... here's how it turned out

before polishing:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s248/bbender85/quad/DSC02807.jpg

after polishing:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s248/bbender85/quad/DSC02793.jpg

rectifier to match:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s248/bbender85/quad/DSC02797.jpg

bergoff
11-29-2010, 11:28 PM
you could be like me and scuff your rims with a scotch bright pad, paint them with rattle can flat black. and just ride it 3 times a year and touch up as needed. jk.