PDA

View Full Version : input please

trx293pv
11-29-2010, 01:47 PM
Some of the races circuits I run are talking about making a vintage class. I don't want to be forced to run my 250R in a vintage class just because I like two-strokes. So I've started doing some brain-storming. I think KTM makes decent quads but I prefer two-stokes. I've thought about dirt bike engines for a long time and the only problem there is that they are backward kick. I saw that KTM has started making electric start two-stroke dirt bikes now so the question becomes: How does one finance a project like this? I know where I can buy a brand new 2008 KTM 525XC.

What is a brand new 525 KTM engine worth?

Has anyone ever tried to put a 300XC-W dirt bike engine on one of these quads before?

Are these quads reliable over the long term? Do the frames hold up to repeated hare scramble action?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!

patrickj75
11-29-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm parting out my 450XC and still have the frame and some other stuff if your interested in going that route.

IdahoMX
11-29-2010, 06:55 PM
I just bought a left over 08 and they really did a nice job with this quad. Welds are perfect along with a whole bunch of stuff that they dont tell you. Radiator is ovaled to allow more air flow, Stem is reversable, the list goes on. So far the best quad out there in my opnion. The weight is also getting close to a R stock with the four stroke engine in it. I really dont think you would be gaining much by throwing the 2 stroke engine in it.