PDA

View Full Version : bikes got left in the rain

rynb15
11-29-2010, 08:48 AM
my 400ex and a buddies yfz450. I have not looked at mine yet(was riding 700 raptor yesterday) but he had his 450 yesterday. His bike would not turn over. We took the seat off and the airbox was completely full of water(no lid), so was the exhaust and motor. Sat it on the grab bar to let it drain. pulled the plug and it cranked and pushed the water out. We stopped here. Loaded up and left. So im gussing my 400 will be the same. So im thinking change oil,clean filter and possible clean carb if it wont run? any thing else to do?

CJM
11-29-2010, 08:55 AM
Pretty much on the right track, get as much water out as possible, letit dry out for a few days or so to make sure and see if it cranks over. Might have to use some carb clean to get it going.

Do not crank the engine over to much if its full of water..bad, bad idea water doesnt compress to well.

grovesbm
11-29-2010, 08:57 AM
change oil a few times and tell your bud to take the drain plug out on the airbox:eek2: omg

rynb15
11-29-2010, 09:08 AM
ok thanks guys. ya the plug is off his airbox. im getting ready to go tear in to my bike. Myabe ill get luck and mine will be ok :)

rynb15
11-29-2010, 10:33 AM
yes i got lucky. It was all dry and it started right up and ran fine. I talked to him and he said his atv was sitting in a different spot on the side his house. Its time for and oil change and filter cleaning anyway.

Thumpin440ex
11-29-2010, 03:18 PM
So was this rain blowing up from the bottom of the bike or what?? Was the plastics left off of it??? Kinda hard for me to believe that the air box, pipe and engine were filled.. Who did you guys piss off is what I am thinking.. I have had my bike out in rain, buried to the tank in water and never ever had any remotely close to what you are saying. I hope you all get them running again, but something with that story doesn't add up in my head

John

rynb15
11-29-2010, 06:13 PM
Like i said my 400 was fine. When we took the seat off his yfz the airbox was almost up to the top. Tipped it up and water came out the exhaust. As far as we know its just from rain. I had a z400 i left outside for like 6 months one time and it was fine. There was a really heavy rain a few days ago. Were gussing its from that.

honda400ex2003
11-29-2010, 06:32 PM
ive pulled my 400 down the road at 75 for hours with only a little bit of water in my box. it sure seems fishy to have an air box filled along with the pipe. stand them up empty the water out, drain the oil wd40 the cylinder also if possible and turn it over while standing up. ride it for a while and check the oil again since there will probably be more water in it. good luck with it. i would wd everything right down to the plugins for the wires and switches if it was me. steve

grovesbm
11-29-2010, 08:12 PM
moral to the story ......dont piss anybody off i guess?

2001400exrida
11-29-2010, 08:24 PM
it seems the yfz450 airbox is much better covered than the 400ex too. My buddy has a yfz450 and it's not to bad with the lid off. the ex is totally exposed, it's horrible.