PDA

View Full Version : slipper sprocket

nutech
11-29-2010, 05:33 AM
Change stock slipper sprocket beginning of season to a wiley mod. No problems all season. Change gearing (new wiley mod ) to get a little more at last race with new chain, no problem missed gearing, went back to first setup, no problem at race. Freshen up trans. Practice, temp low40's track (Hard dirt, little muddy) 10 min riding time sprocket loosen up, retorque 75 lbs (always retorgue before each moto) 2 laps loosen up again, could not retorgue until sprocket cooled down (just keep spinning).Change torgue settings up and down, tighten chain and loosen chain same problem, sprocket Loosen again, put new slipper sprocket on. Problem same. Change bikes same problem as first bike (second bike ran first of season was used as backup and practice bike has same wiley mod, different gearing). Slight cracks on first disc (norm), glazing min. Sprocket never got blue hot. Don't know if could be linked to earlier form about clicking in rear gear.

Logan #34's Dad
11-29-2010, 09:19 AM
Here's my solution, If only the threads were lefthand threads. If you know a machinist that could convert the threads on the shaft to left handed I think the problem would be solved. Because everytime the load hits now the nut wants to back off. It does not take much backing off before the sprocket will spin and fail. So, if the threads were left hand the nut would want to tighten. Just my thoughts.
As far as the clicking problem being related to the sprocket slipping. If the chain is jumping on the rear sprocket, everytime it engages hard after the chain falls back into the grooves it would pull on the sprocket.

cik orange
11-29-2010, 11:58 AM
on wiley mod sprocket (609) we always ran ours at 110 lbs torque
and ran two cup washers

Logan #34's Dad
11-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by cik orange
on wiley mod sprocket (609) we always ran ours at 110 lbs torque
and ran two cup washers

Paul (Wiley) was made adjustments to the ole 609 slipper and he recommends that lower torque spec.

cik orange
11-29-2010, 02:19 PM
well if it's slipping adjustments still need to be made like more torque..whatca think

raidernut
11-29-2010, 07:25 PM
110 aint workin either.

cik orange
11-29-2010, 07:56 PM
never had any problem with our 609 wiley mod slipper.. one of the only things on our bike we did'nt really have issues with

sorry guess things change

TTracer#22
11-29-2010, 11:31 PM
We have taken the wiley mods from 75# to 120# brand new disc and the don't last for our 40-50 moto's cost us several races this year so if someone is having good luck on shorter races I have 2 forsale with brand new pads

tyler70t
11-30-2010, 03:40 PM
I know this sounds elementary but is your washer on right? I watched a guy go crazy @ the track just to find out that his washer was backwards. We used a Wiley Mods slipper all year and had no problems at all. Season just ended and we raced 25 events this year........Jeff

nutech
11-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Just check, both washers are cupped the right way. Race 17 events, numerous practices no failure, but for the first stock one. Until now. Thanks, I need all the help I can get.

jerkyboy
11-30-2010, 06:17 PM
Saw one this year do the same thing. Make sure the outer plate
with the groves cut in it slides all the way down when disasembled. We had to do a little grinding with a die grinder to get it to move freely. No problems after that.

nutech
12-01-2010, 05:09 AM
Yep. Thank you. Still looked and moved like the new ones. The first one had that little sharpness was cleaned up. Selbygrl hand problem with trans fluid, check that when change slipper sprocket. Cleaned and recheck after short run, was still dry.

JIM GRACE
12-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by jerkyboy
Saw one this year do the same thing. Make sure the outer plate
with the groves cut in it slides all the way down when disasembled. We had to do a little grinding with a die grinder to get it to move freely. No problems after that.

Mike good thing you where there because we were scratching our heads trying to fix it. 11 pm in the freezing cold.

Logan #34's Dad
12-02-2010, 05:19 AM
I take it you guys don't like my idea of rethreading the sprocket shaft to be left-handed?
I marked my shaft and bolt and the bolt absolutley backs off.

nitrofish
12-02-2010, 08:43 AM
I use red loctite. I have the nut, shaft and bevel washer marked. The nut has never backed off. Torqued at just 100lbs because my boy is light. Maybe I have no issues due to his 45 lb body? I like loctite, maybe it is because I have spent half my life on a Harley?Matt.

Logan #34's Dad
12-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Locktite is king. 95% of the time people won't have an issue if everything is together right and torqued correctly. BUT when your rider gets very aggressive/fast the sprocket will fail. They can only handle so much horsepower and landings while on the gas. JMO
Just fyi - I got a new invention that will end all the issues. :D coming soon - I hope!

raidernut
12-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Rocky, you must be back on first watch:D

Logan #34's Dad
12-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Yes I am! Gotta love the in car computers! LMAO! Good ole' Blackberry too!

raidernut
12-02-2010, 11:24 AM
2nd for me, just not forum friendly

zach R 7x
12-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Tax dollars at work:D !!

Rocky, not sure if your idea would work... if it moves with right handed threads ,won't it move with left also? Then it will get to tight and overload the pads and burn them up or eliminate the slipper aspect of it.

T@AFP
12-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Just fyi - I got a new invention that will end all the issues. :D coming soon - I hope! [/B][/QUOTE]

Sooo Rocky, When are you gonne tell us what Logan will be on next year?

Nichols Atvs
12-02-2010, 02:03 PM
You wont get that out of him till Feb !! You know that!! LOL

nitrofish
12-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Check this out. We use an aerial saw to trim trees and believe it or not, on each one of the saw blades there are slipper discs. The threads are not left handed. The mechanic does not use loctite. The blades turn at about 28k rpm. Go figure. I do like the disc set-up, they are of a teflon material with one sticky side. The sticky side attatches to the blade on each side. The purpose is in case the pilot gets into a saw pinching situation or hits something that may drag him where he does not want to go. Rocky you may have spotted the bird in your parts this year or at least heard about it. Matt.

edwardsp&b
12-03-2010, 08:53 AM
Just fyi - I got a new invention that will end all the issues. coming soon - I hope!

I cant wait to see what that is Rocky!

Back to the slippers, I had a problem for the first time with them this year after changing old discs. I use Loctite, but I also found that if you put them on, torque them down, and then let your rider ride easy around the pits to heat them up, then retourque them again they will work. After heating up new pads they always came loose again on me, so I would let him break them in easy and retourque a few times and they would be good. I tourque it to 105lbs. Ben is only about 65 lbs soaking wet, but he wont get off the gas even when landing. Drives me NUTS!!!

Thinking back though, it beats ripping trannies and busting cases. Id rather be bothered with the slippers than that!
Bryan

thequadfather+2
12-05-2010, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by edwardsp&b

Thinking back though, it beats ripping trannies and busting cases. Id rather be bothered with the slippers than that!
Bryan

Can I get an AMEN??!!

Bryan's got a point.

selbygirl
12-08-2010, 05:23 AM
hay steve did you find the problem with your slipper sprockets

nutech
12-08-2010, 06:05 AM
No. In process of changing motor over to new frame. Will keep posted.

nutech
12-08-2010, 06:12 AM
Check out new video of 11/20/10 race at buddscreek. Go to You Tube put in nutechmasonry will see all videos. You'll see #504 new national bike. Dillon cut 4 sec. off lap time after yellow flag chasing brandon.

Logan #34's Dad
12-09-2010, 04:56 AM
Here ya go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz5sAjhXvmY

hwf-racing
12-11-2010, 09:12 AM
I use the Wiley Mod and retorque after every moto to 72 lbs. I was busting gears all the time till we changed to Wiley. When we torqued the Wiley to much we would bust gears, the highr torque just doesn't allow the sprocket to slip. It's when we lowered the torque that the slipper started working correctly. If you use loctite that will work for a while till the disc start to wear then it will start to slip to much and cause a smoke screen. It's a lot of work to tighten after every moto but better than replacing trans gears. We have to tighten our axles anyhow, so hit the slipper while your at it.