PDA

View Full Version : bad starting polaris

eric bernt
11-28-2010, 05:08 PM
I have a 2005 polaris preditor. It starts fine when cold and sitting in the garage, but after it is warmed up you have to full throttle it so it starts. Also when your sitting around with it running it will just die no hesitation, sputtering, just die. Then it will hardly start full throttle. It sounds like the timing is off. I took it to Oklahoma, which is about an 8 hour drive, and after we got there it wouldn't hardly start at all, it acted like it was flooded, and some kind of fluid was coming out the exhaust not sure if it was gas or not. Any kind of advice on were to start to fix this problem would be helpful. I don't know if it is timing or fuel problem maybe both. The carburator was to be cleaned before I got it. I have ran about two tankfuls of gas through it. Thanks

fearlessfred
11-29-2010, 01:04 PM
check the carb overflow and make sure it isnt plugged or routed as a vent tube or vent hose connected to over flow

eric bernt
02-27-2011, 01:25 PM
I checked the overflow and vent there a no tubes to the overflow or the vent. the only tubes are gas comming in and i assume a vaccum after the intake that runs to the fuel pump. Now it is a now start there seems to be plenty of fuel. I have cleaned the carb, adjusted the needle inside the carb to maybe lean it out, installed a new spark plug, and checked for spark when it is a no start. Any help would be appreciated thanks

wilkin250r
02-27-2011, 08:54 PM
How does it run AFTER it starts, when it's hot?

What kind of filter is the Predator? I know the old Trailblazers came with a really lousy paper filter.

eric bernt
02-28-2011, 06:43 PM
It has a UNI filter. It runs great after it
starts warm, but as soon as you stop and sit
for 5-10 seconds it will die and be hard to start
again