PDA

View Full Version : '05 450r not running right. Any help?

vwjohnny
11-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Hey guys, '05 450. HRC kit, full exhaust. Really low hours. Feels almost like it's bouncing off the rev limiter but WAY to soon. Bike accelerates well and good mid-range, but once it hits top end it cuts in and out. Never ran like this before. Changed gas, cleaned carb, checked plug. Still nothing. Help please!

nwi45
11-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Valves?

muddzilla94
11-28-2010, 08:17 PM
could be a false rev limiter caused by your jetting being off. could be valves like nwi said also

DnB_racing
11-28-2010, 08:31 PM
when you say cleaned carb , did you take apart and blow air through all passages and inspect all seals and seats and o rings?

weeman69xx303
11-29-2010, 05:05 PM
i have the same problem on my friends 450r just one day it started to sputter at the top end of every gear out of no where. carb has been cleaned many times. also took the baffle out but this was after it started to have these problems. its been like this for about 3 years now. what should i do to fix it? i was thinking the needle?

bracey
11-29-2010, 08:34 PM
maybe it's getting lean on top because of the cold weather and do you have a air box with the lid on it ......try to take the lid of and see if that helps it or hurts it .........maybe that will point you in the direction you need to go ....just a easy thing to check

vwjohnny
12-01-2010, 08:03 AM
All good points... I'm leaning towards a faulty cdi box? I would hope not valves. This bike has been dune ridden two or three times a year since new. Bike starts easy, It has the HRC airbox lid and plug looks good, not to lean, not to rich. Weird how it began... Ran great, parked it, Sat for 6 months and now cutting out at the top of all gears. Still idles and accels strong though.

DnB_racing
12-01-2010, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by vwjohnny
Weird how it began... Ran great, parked it, Sat for 6 months and now cutting out at the top of all gears. Still idles and accels strong though. **** classic carb problem****

Id be surprised if its not a dirty carb!!!make sure you take carb COMPLETLY apart and check all parts and seals, spray all passages with a carb cleaner and blow out with air, and reassemble with a new rebuild kit, unless its been sitting uncovered outside I dont think it would be electrical system,

kono993
12-01-2010, 10:25 AM
could be a bunch of stuff
#1-clean carb clean all jets blow air theough all passage ways
#2-check air filter/take off air box lid, it could be starving for air.
#3 check your valves... prob not the prob if it was runing ok befor

wckedclownz69
12-01-2010, 03:42 PM
make sure your main jet isn't loose... i had that happen then it just fell out and lost all power

zdowell
12-05-2010, 09:50 AM
I had the same problem at the beginning of the year. Cleaned my carb 3 times before I got it right!! Id also recommend playing with your jets to. I know I raised or lowered my needle a few times before I found a setting that cured my problem. Id put money on its a carb problem

vwjohnny
12-26-2010, 06:53 PM
Been thru the carb twice now. Found plugged pilot jet second time around... Still doin' it. Tomorrow I'm going thru it again. I hear three times a charm? Come on baby! I need this bike for new years:cuss:

dyno
12-27-2010, 07:43 AM
Check the high speed air bleed in the back (holes in filter end) of carb. It mixes air with fuel and up through the needle jet- pull it also!
All this "great" ethanol laced fuel clogs everything!

zdowell
01-11-2011, 10:50 AM
U put ethanol in yours? I sure as hell wouldn't. Even if its inconvenient find a station with 91 or higher that isn't mixed with corn.

DnB_racing
01-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by zdowell
U put ethanol in yours? I sure as hell wouldn't. Even if its inconvenient find a station with 91 or higher that isn't mixed with corn.
Due to state and federal government tax breaks it is almost impossible to find gas with out ethanol added. Your best bet would be to call your local stations, ask for a manager and ask them what the ethanol percentage is in their fuel.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_gas_stations_have_gasoline_without_ethanol#ix zz1Al0HzX2i

simon7
01-16-2011, 08:59 AM
Check your stator!! Electrical can seem like a fuel problem. If you have a pocket tester you can check it.