PDA

View Full Version : Cross over rings on the work shocks??

400exBro
02-10-2003, 03:37 PM
i am wondering if i am able to take out one(on both shocks so it is even) of the cross over rings, abling the spring to travel firther???

this will make the ride smother right??

will it hurt the shock in any way??

any info about this could you please inform me?,? i am in the process of getting everything cleaned up and ready for this spring....

thanks

DantheEXman
02-10-2003, 03:41 PM
I believe that someone called him and asked him about all of this and he said that if you change the ammount of rings or the preload clip position, that it is now NO LONGER suitable for the weight that they were set up for.... Someone correct me if im wrong.

400exBro
02-10-2003, 06:23 PM
bump...

anyone else??

i am sure that it won t change the characteristics of the shock, it is valved 20 lbs heavier then i am... also i got the treaded perload option... all what the cross over rings do is as the first spring compersses it will force the second one to comperss as well till it reaches the thrird, then the shaft...

right, Bee, you know your stuff...

02-10-2003, 07:18 PM
I could see it helping when hammering thru the trails and woods riding,,,but i wouldn't air the quad out with them missing..

beerock
02-10-2003, 08:02 PM
changing the size of the crossover ring just changes when the springs"crossover" to the next spring.

I guess you could take the ring out to gain some softness but there may be a possibility of the spring becoming entagled with itself on a hard landing(compressing the spring too much)I'm not sure

400exBro
02-11-2003, 03:59 PM
i am going to leave one spring in, probably the larger one of the 2, i can see it giving it a longer spring travel, but i don't see how it would softned up the ride..??

anyone else have an opion... i tend to pound the works around the track, i could see them crack from extra stress...

Where Jeff been lately, i am sure he might now...

tprender
02-11-2003, 05:08 PM
If you take out to many rings on the works shocks, the springs will compress to much and the spring will break. I found this out the hard way after breaking a few springs. there is formula for how many or space there should be for the length of the spring. Lost that paper when I moved last year.

Woz
02-11-2003, 05:23 PM
If you remove on ring (assuming you have two between the spring guides) you will allow this spring to compress further before crossing over. This means your ride will be softer further into the travel. The initial rate will be the same. You will most likely bottom out easier. This is something you can easily try, and then change back. In my opinion, your springs shouldn't break, but it is possible. Individual springs can also be replaced (if you break them), or just to change the plushness of that part of the ride.

You will want to check to see if your springs compress to the cross over rings you have now under your own weight. If they do, then removing a ring will likely also lower your ride height.

1 concern...
If your rings are quite large probably about 1/2 inch each, that's a pretty big adjustment (to remove one). You might want to contact works and have them send you a cross-over ring that is slightly shorter than the one you want to remove. This will be a much less drastic change. You could also have someone with a lathe make the cross over ring shorter, but then that' tough to undo if you don't like it.

Hope that helps.

02-11-2003, 05:43 PM
I know on my works steelers...the top spring had 3 rings to it..and one was only about 1/4 of an inch maybe..sounds like that's about the only one you'd wanna remove..

400exBro
02-11-2003, 06:22 PM
ya that is what i was thinking just the very first spring so i get a softer ride when i am pounding throught the rough stuff..

thanks for your help, i will contacted works and see, and about making a cross over ring, i will go to my machine shop in school and make some on some lathes, easy stuff for me, my buddy and i made a mini bike and go cart in machine this year..

beerock
02-11-2003, 10:43 PM
the cross over rings pretty much stops the spring from compressing anymore, if you have a longer ring , the spring wil compress less and make your ride stiffer , since its changing over to the other springs earlier.

im glad motowoz is on here jesse knows his shiit and explains it well. :cool:

YZROOSTINYA
02-12-2003, 04:10 AM
i talked to the guy that makes the shocks at works. he told me if i take ANY of the crossover rings out it will offset the rate of spring compression in relation the the actual internal dampining of the shock.

so basically, NO you dont want to adjust it using this method. you will need to get them revalved. also you are not supposed to move the preload clips either

YZROOSTINYA
02-12-2003, 04:12 AM
you can try it. the worst thing that can happen is a new set off shocks:D

Zingnut
02-12-2003, 09:17 AM
Here is what I did. I removed the 1/2 inch crossover on the top spring, and replaced it with a 1/4 inch crossover. Then removed one of the 1/4 inch crossover from the middle spring (ther were two 1/4 inchers to begin with). I am only into running trails and small 3 ft high jumps. So nothing big. I have found that this setup ROCKS!!!. It lets the quad run the trails with much more smooth control and reduced the harsh bumpy feedback. I love it and have had it setup like this for about 6 months now with some severe rides to confirm that it was not something that was going to break the shocks.

I did this just to experiment witht he shocks to see if I could get them to perform better. I did remove all the crossovers and it rode like a caddy but did bottom out on the jumps. So I came to this middle ground on them. Not saying this will work for you but it sure made my quad more userfriendly.

I also ordered a small white spring from works due to when I bought mine used the spring had some wear on the inner coil that looked bad. I have also bout the black seperators and crossovers from them. The spring was a mere 30 bucks shipped so a broken spring should not deter you from trying this out.

Just offering my experience and in no way am I an expert on this matter.

Woz
02-12-2003, 09:56 AM
Just offering my experience and in no way am I an expert on this matter.

Zingnut may not be an expert, but he's right on on this one. Good Job Zingnut. It's important to find out what works for you. Valving of a shock is very tricky, but not every spring change requires a valving change, and vice versa. Valving is very complicated, and is almost more of an art than a science.

Springs (and cross-overs) are much more straight forward. I say experimentation is good. Just make sure you know how to get back to where you started. Take notes. Take pictures if you have to, but Zingnut sounds like he went to the extreme when he took out all his cross-overs. That's great. Now he knows how that would work. Changed it back, no harm. In the process, he found what works well for him somewhere in the middle.

Also, 400exBro,
You say you have access to a lathe at school... Thats great. This is a very simple part. It's good practice though. You can make any size spacer you want. There are a lot of simple parts you can make on that lathe for your shocks. How bout some new spring guides? aluminum or Delrin, easy to machine, and a fun project.

I better be careful or we'll be reading a product release on "Bro Shocks" soon.

400exBro
02-12-2003, 05:19 PM
thanks for your help..

and about the Bro Shocks, i doubt that this will happen this year, i got to wait until i have a full year with that class so i have time to plan it out... i just had machine, my teacher is cool he rides, bikes, atc 250, and quads so he now what he is doing too...

first i am going to take out just the top spring, and remove 1 of the three cross overs...

one question tho, how do you get the springs off???

02-12-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by 400exBro
thanks for your help..

and about the Bro Shocks, i doubt that this will happen this year, i got to wait until i have a full year with that class so i have time to plan it out... i just had machine, my teacher is cool he rides, bikes, atc 250, and quads so he now what he is doing too...

first i am going to take out just the top spring, and remove 1 of the three cross overs...

one question tho, how do you get the springs off???

Loosen the preload clip or turn the preload adjuster all the way soft.
Turn the shocks upside down were the bottom of the shock is pointing up.
Pull the springs down with your hand and you can pull the metal retainer clip down and turn it and wala..your done...;)
Having a friend help you is not a bad idea either..:D

beerock
02-13-2003, 12:06 AM
ya experimenting is great!:D

400exBro
02-13-2003, 04:26 AM
alright thanks..

i will do that next week, i just found out that my bearing in the rear axle housing are shot, so there another 200 for some taper rollers.. plus then i ll get a lsr axle..

Woz
02-14-2003, 08:16 AM
Bro...

If you get your shocks off, and can't seem to get the springs off, give me a call, and I'll walk you through it.

400exBro
02-14-2003, 02:28 PM
alright will do...

do you work for works performance??

Woz
02-15-2003, 03:27 PM
No,

I am a partner in motowoz

http://www.motowoz.com

But I know a thing or two about a lot of different shocks, and I know that sometimes simple jobs can be tough if you haven't done it before.

If you need any help, I'm always available.

400exBro
02-15-2003, 05:23 PM
oo sweet, ya i have read some good things about those shocks, they look extremly hi tech..

good luck with business