PDA

View Full Version : Now I messed up!

Moded86R
11-27-2010, 11:43 PM
I recently got my 300ex running again after sitting for 7 years in my basement.I took the carb apart and replaced a pilot jet.Also cleaned it up with some carb cleaner.Put it all back togother and it fired right up

Well it was idling so high the header pipe started glowing red.So I shut the bike down.Then I started messing around with a screw on the bottom of the carb.On the end of the screw is a small cable that goes up inside the carb and pushes the throttle.

The real problem with the high idle ended up being that sometime in the past 7 years I was messing with the bike trying to get it to run with a clogged pilot jet and had turned the idle up on the handle bars.I got that fixed now.

But the bike won't idle for longer than 20 seconds.Than it "coughs" and dies.It does after you just got done riding it for an hour.Good and warm ya know...

I am thinking this has something to do with that screw I messed with.

Any advice would be appreciated!

fmftrx300ex
12-24-2010, 12:28 PM
if it was a screw in the very underside of the carb it was the piolet screw turn it out 1/2 a turn and see if this helps outs richer sounds like its to lean if it coughs nd dies when its cold. just right down how many turns out u go and go in 1/4 turn increments if it doesnt help just turn it back