PDA

View Full Version : 400ex top end rebuild questions

lanes400ex
11-27-2010, 07:07 PM
i have an 01 400 ex im in the process of rebuilding the top end i just bought a namura 40 overkit my first question is how to put the rings on every other ring i have put on are marked theses say nothing i dont think next is how to adjust the timing chain ? and also how what is the ring gaps supposed to be any information would be appreciated this is my first 4 wheeler rebuild and i want to make sure i ask all the questions i can and make sure i do this right these may be stupid questions to someone who knows what they are doing but i dont so im asking

killer454
11-27-2010, 10:52 PM
ok i installed rings on a namara piston and if i remember right the top ring will be shiny and you should see a number i think.i put it faceing the top of the piston.im thinking both the top and second ring has like a part number or somthing like that i faced them up on the piston.

i pretty sure i had to call namara and ask this same question i would call them to be sure if i was you.im thinking im right but not 100% sure.

AtvKid4Eva
11-28-2010, 03:45 PM
for the rings they should of included a ring diagram with the piston? i only use wiseco pistons and i know they include a detailed instruction sheet that explains how to set the rings. basically yout just dont want the ring gaps to be aligned with one another to avoid oil peaping through causing the bike to burn oil..no experience with the type of piston your installing tho but it has to be similiar.

lanes400ex
11-28-2010, 05:57 PM
yeah the rings both say R 100 on them they are both the same color but one the writing on it is shiny but does anyone know about how tight the timing chain should be and how adjust it

AtvKid4Eva
11-28-2010, 08:01 PM
the gaps on those two rings should be different one should be larger than the other thats how you determine if it goes into the first or second rail on the piston. google it im sure you will find it all over there
the timing chain as an auto adjust on the back side of the cylinder you just tighten it back onto the cylinder and it will automatically add tension to the cam chain guides..no other adjustment is needed.