PDA

View Full Version : Chassis Rebuild?

trailrider894
11-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Hey guys, i just got my chassis rebuild approved by my wallet and now i want to know what i should do? I already have my suspension setup the way i would like it. Just wondering what i should replace?

jcs003
11-27-2010, 11:57 AM
well, if your suspension is dialed in. you should probably check bearing, bushings and ball joints and replace if needed. BUT, all this should be in good shape before you start dialing in your suspension.

CJM
11-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Bearings, bushings, anything that needs to be greased you do it now.

Would really look into gusseting the frame so its stronger as well.

trailrider894
11-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Bearings, bushings, anything that needs to be greased you do it now.

Would really look into gusseting the frame so its stronger as well.

All is in the plan... Whats the verdict on best paint or coating that is cheap for the frame?

BombSquadEx
11-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Ive spray painted and powdercoated quite a few frames.
And while its a bit more pricey the powdercoat really is the most durable.

Most powdercoating places can match you up with a spray can that matches the color just in case you do scratch it.

With paint it definitely looks nice but no matter how many coats you put on, it always seems to scratch/rub off easy. Just my .02

CJM
11-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Powdercoat is always better since its much thicker. If you want to save a few bucks its best to go down the any auto parts store and get some automotive spray paint and use that as it tends to be thicker and its an oil based paint not enamel.

If your gonna spray it figure at least a good 2 priming coats and 4-6 coats of the paint then 3 coats of clear.

trailrider894
11-27-2010, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Powdercoat is always better since its much thicker. If you want to save a few bucks its best to go down the any auto parts store and get some automotive spray paint and use that as it tends to be thicker and its an oil based paint not enamel.

If your gonna spray it figure at least a good 2 priming coats and 4-6 coats of the paint then 3 coats of clear.

Can you link me too a good paint?

trailrider894
11-27-2010, 09:46 PM
I am doing the frame in black, but i don't know what to do with the hubs, spindles, motor mounts, etc... Thought about going red, but just not sure how that will look. I can't say i have ever seen that paint scheme.

CJM
11-27-2010, 09:56 PM
dupli color if you want it in spray can or for a paintgun is cheap and works well.

Engine enamel might be the best b/c it has stuff in it to resist heat and gas/oils.

Hi build fleet paint would also work too since its usually a thicker paint.

However it still wont hold up as well as powdercoating will.

trailrider894
11-27-2010, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by CJM
dupli color if you want it in spray can or for a paintgun is cheap and works well.

Engine enamel might be the best b/c it has stuff in it to resist heat and gas/oils.

Hi build fleet paint would also work too since its usually a thicker paint.

However it still wont hold up as well as powdercoating will.

Yeah i will take a look at those... I am a broke college student who will only be hitting the track for races. I will rebuild it again next winter for my 2012 season, when i start getting higher up in points.