PDA

View Full Version : 09 yfz450r vs 08 ltr450

kickinwing
11-27-2010, 05:37 AM
I just bought an 08 ltr450 and rode it a little bit. I like it and it feels like a good quad, feels a little heavy when jumping but not bad. I sat on an 09 yfz450r today and it felt really nice, and i am actually considering getting one but i have always heard and seen that the yfz's require a lot of upkeep and seem to break down alot, not very reliable, maybe its just the people i have seen dont take care of them. I ride sand dunes, i do not race but ride the track every once in a while, so i was basically just wondering if the 09 yfz's are reliable and if they have any common problems. thanks

funyun
11-27-2010, 07:47 AM
The new YFZ and even the older ones are probably 10x more reliable than any LTR. All i constantly read about is how garbage the LTR transmission is and its just a ticking time bobm ready to go out on you. As for the YFZs I really can't thing of 1 single common problem that happens with them they are probably one of the most reliable 450s out there.

kickinwing
11-27-2010, 07:53 AM
a couple of the things i have heard of in the past on the yfz's are overheating and not getting enough oil..on the ltr' trans. most people say if you dont race you should be fine, the third gear could go out but you never know. i just dont know much about the new yamahas and dont want to get something that wont be reliable.

RATPACK Z400
11-27-2010, 08:02 AM
Do you have any mods on the suzuki? to say the yami does,t have there own problems is a joke they have oil problems that burn up motors would rather deal with third gear problem than motor issues! you look at MX racing the suzuki has had the least amount of DNF,s over the yrs then all the manufactor IMO.Yami 450 also hasn,t won any pro- MX championship its entire life(7yrs) suzuki,s has won three in a row!No DNF,sI know you,ll say its rider and thats true but they dont break down on the track as much as the others do IMO.

funyun
11-27-2010, 08:34 AM
The only yfzs having oiling problems are old ones 04-05 and if you read his thread you would see hes looking into the NEW yfzs. Im sure the pros get their trans replaced every race in those LTR's or have some kind of custom trans. Comparing MX wins and all that to figure out which quad is the best is pretty much a joke that doesnt mean anything.

blaster12s
11-27-2010, 02:06 PM
unless your a mecanic or have a shi t ton of cash ltr is a bad idea. the new and old yfz's hold up very well. just like any bike they are awsome if you take care of them. there is noting you can do about the 3rd gear. just wait till it blows. atleast the yfz problems are cheap and easy to fix

kickinwing
11-27-2010, 10:28 PM
I dont really have any mods done to my ltr, i think the stock 450 motor has enough power for me so all i would do if i got a yfz is do an exhaust and programmer and filter change. I have heard mostly good things about the new 09 and 10 yfz's but i have always been leery about yamaha in the past so i just wanted to check and make sure they would be reliable for the type of riding i will be doing. I understand that all quads will have normal stuff happen from wear and tear, i just want something that i can trust not to break down all the time. I just wanted to check and see if the new yfz's were betther then previous models. after buying my used ltr i can get a brand new yfz450r (white with red seat) for $5500. i thought that was a good deal and i liked the looks and ergos of the 09 since they came out so that is why i am thinking about selling my ltr and getting a yfz.

RATPACK Z400
11-28-2010, 05:57 AM
Why if you just got LTR450 want to switch and get YFZ450 why not have gotten it in the first place seems dumb to get quad then get another cuss you heard somethings better (IS the quad just too much for you to handle)being you haven,t got any mods on it!.You got the best ! these guys will tell you yfz the best till there blue in the face ,the third gear problem only happen on certains yrs and hardcore racers only have problem, and is alot cheaper than motor burning up cuss it gets no oil ! new shifter pin WOW that just makes the whole quad suck! Bottom line you get what you feel fits you but If you get YFZ you,ll be on here in a few weeks with A;problem with it or B:wish you never switch from LTR450 mark my words .

kickinwing
11-28-2010, 07:04 AM
first off i dont want to switch cause one is better that the other, i just think that i personally would like the new yfz better, dont get me wrong i like my ltr450, it seems to be a good quad and the only thing that i have really heard bad about the ltr is third gear so thats not to bad.
I have been around quads, dirtbikes, and street bikes my whole life, so my ltr definately doesnt have too much power but it does have plenty for the type of riding that i do..(little sahara, on the farm, and ride the track for fun). I would rather have a stock atv that has only a pipe and programmer and it always be reliable than have a race atv that has had the motor torn apart and me not trust it..
I probably would have looked more into getting the 09yfz450r before i bought my ltr if i would have known the price difference was that close to eachother especially since i would be buying a new yfz compared to a used ltr.
i was only asking if the new 09yfz's had any of the problems that they have had in the past or what are some common problems that they do have.

monster400ex
11-28-2010, 07:54 AM
yes when i bought my yfz450x i was worried about the same thing but they use the motocross bike motor this time around and i havent had any issues with my new one. ive rode my buddys stock and built ltr and i prefer the yfz all day so comfortable and the power stock is insane faster than the honda with a full pipe intake and jets, id got with the yfz all day now such a all around good bike. A+++++

XCRacer236
11-28-2010, 10:26 AM
neither. Standard YFZ all the way.

funyun
11-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
Why if you just got LTR450 want to switch and get YFZ450 why not have gotten it in the first place seems dumb to get quad then get another cuss you heard somethings better (IS the quad just too much for you to handle)being you haven,t got any mods on it!.You got the best ! these guys will tell you yfz the best till there blue in the face ,the third gear problem only happen on certains yrs and hardcore racers only have problem, and is alot cheaper than motor burning up cuss it gets no oil ! new shifter pin WOW that just makes the whole quad suck! Bottom line you get what you feel fits you but If you get YFZ you,ll be on here in a few weeks with A;problem with it or B:wish you never switch from LTR450 mark my words .

If I were you I wouldnt take one word this guy says seriously. The new YFZs have 0 problems with "burning up motors" and crap like this guy keeps making up. Even the older ones dont have these problems unless its one of the first few years the YFZ came out. The LTR trans is garbage and can happen to the average rider aswell its all just luck some people are fine some arent. I have heard that the newer ones are actualy worse than the 06 LTR in the trans department though.

madsmokey12
11-29-2010, 06:55 PM

I would never Buy a Suzuki Product. Every one i known that owned any of their Products had Problems. Even the Name sounds like Garbage . the only Brands i would buy is Yamaha and Kawasaki . i had them all my life They have been good to me and never had a problem with them

quadrider2112
11-29-2010, 08:30 PM
My friend rides a ltr and its good bike and he hasnt had alot of trouble with it but know way i would by a guttless tank like a ltr450. As far as the tranny prob he is always worried and talkin bout it.

The zuki rockstar yosh team trannys and most zuki race trannys are back cut and have been specially hardened by yosh. That is also how zuki wins. Give Yamaha sponsors, R&D, and talent like that and Yamaha wears the #1 plate!

The yfz450 is reliable and fast. The carb models hit way harder than the fuelies. When i go to the local races a carb yfz will always get the holeshot.

If it was me i would get i yfz cause i Yamaha all the way and cuase it has that power you need for the dunes.

kickinwing
11-30-2010, 11:01 AM
thanks for the replys, i think i will just keep my ltr for now and ride it a while but i really think my next quad will the the 09 or newer yfz450r.

madsmokey12
11-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by kickinwing
thanks for the replys, i think i will just keep my ltr for now and ride it a while but i really think my next quad will the the 09 or newer yfz450r.

good luck i never liked Suzuki . But the YFZ's are sweet bikes i also like the Kawasaki KFX 450r's . thats prob my next bike. im gonna prob sell my blaster and save up for the KFX

tar
11-30-2010, 06:44 PM
I might have read some of the dumbest things I have heard my whole life in this forum.

blaster12s
11-30-2010, 07:13 PM
^agree.

Hooligan
11-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by tar
I might have read some of the dumbest things I have heard my whole life in this forum.
lmao I think I just wasted 2 minutes of my life!

Neither, take up golf.

I don't like EFI, so I ride an 07 YFZ...but it's for XC. You can make any quad "better" if you want to dump a bunch of $$ in to it. The Zuki will most likely cost you more to get it up to speed, just b/c the way they come set up stock.

When it comes down to it, test them out. This is like asking if you should buy boot cut or skinny leg pants, and every a-hole will chime in. When it comes to the line, it's mostly rider skill anyway.

XCRacer236
12-02-2010, 05:49 PM
There is some funny **** in this thread, lol.

as far as Zuki winning MX championships and not Yamaha, look who was riding Yamaha compared to Zuki. This dude apparently knows nothing about GNCC.. lmao.

dvx400rider04
12-02-2010, 06:39 PM
wen it comes to quads they all have there problems...04 to 06 yfzs have oiling issues...06 and maybe newer ltrs have tranny issues im positive the 06 does though..08 kfx 450's fuel pumps blow and some year 450rs cranks are bad...wen it comes to quads u just have to pick ur poison.theres minor issues with all...yfz is as good as any hope this helps man

RATPACK Z400
12-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Xcracer236, They only had 8yrs to put someone on it that can win. ISn,t that long enuff to find a rider?evrybody else seems to get riders.

blaster12s
12-04-2010, 03:48 PM
yamaha doesnt even support dirtbikes. were lucky that we even have t brown and p brown racing. suz support has tripple the $ put into it then yam. but to each his own some people are just "special"

Ride1Rob
12-04-2010, 07:54 PM
They're all good bikes. Ride what you have and enjoy it.

XCRacer236
12-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Xcracer236, They only had 8yrs to put someone on it that can win. ISn,t that long enuff to find a rider?evrybody else seems to get riders.

no *****? My point is not that they couldn't find riders, its that they didnt want to. Take a look at the GNCC scene and you will know what I am talking about.

RATPACK Z400
12-05-2010, 06:57 PM
What you mean about GNNC, suzuki,s won pro with Borich two yrs and he,s faster on the LTR450 than he ever was on the honda !most guys that step off other quads seem to do awesome on the Suzuki hopefully the new Yammie can copy that success! On the MX track.

tar
12-05-2010, 08:32 PM
It's not necesarily about the quad at all. It comes down to suspension setups and the rider.

funyun
12-07-2010, 02:14 PM
*cough*
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/racing/bill_ballance.aspx
*cough*

RATPACK Z400
12-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Bills a beast! and he also rode the "old yfz" you could put him on blaster and he would win. Im talking MX those Gnnc races take lot of endurance your talking two hours at full throttle that take,s yrs to build up that kind of endurance like Bill has no rookie stands a chance agains,t him .moto cross IMO is more technique(jumps/holeshots/whoops) not that Gnnc you dont need technique it just a offroad race thought the woods /creeks/hillclimbs than hitting huge jumps (60-80ft) and whoops and having to get holeshot or up front to win.I cant wait till next yr to see what the yfz450 gonna do against the raining champ of MX and GNNC =LTR 450! hopefully they can get something going ,not winning a MX championship its entire existence sucks for yamaha !