PDA

View Full Version : invisible dog fence help needed

sexysilverado45
11-26-2010, 07:46 PM
well i got a blood hound, then i have a beagle mix and they are pretty active dogs. i live on a 150 acres and im trying to keep them contained the invisible fence im looking for would need to be probly 1/4 mile of wire and im needing a 2 collar system. Thats about all i know about these things i don't know which brands are a good and reliable but not hundreds upon hundreds of dollars. In a nut shell what im asking is if anybody here has experience with these and if so wich ones would you encourage me getting.

mx Eli
11-26-2010, 09:10 PM
we have one for our dog and i think its called a petsafe i could be totally wrong too. but me my brother and dad plantedd the wire around our 3 acre land in probably 4 hours. we rented a machine that lays the wire down from home depot, this is the way to go just walk behide it and it diggs a trench puts the wire down and covers it.

the one problem i see with you is the 150 acres your gana need alot of wire

sexysilverado45
11-26-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm not doing the whole thing maybe 5 acres. So you said its called pet safe can you remember were you got it.

mx Eli
11-27-2010, 08:42 AM
Ill make sure that was the name when i get home but we got it at home depot

if your doing only the 5 acres you could o it in a day.

also I think i remember see kits that had two collors but could be wrong

Pappy
11-28-2010, 03:12 PM
I want the wireless system....from what ive heard they work extremely well!

mx Eli
11-28-2010, 04:55 PM
never used a wireless one but have heard they work ok. I would think they could only limit your dogs to a cucular shape becuase you set the distance from the central unit or whatever

CNC_guy
11-30-2010, 08:35 AM
We got our boys a beagle/lab mix pup this summer and being that we live in a rural subdivision (if that makes sense) we decided to do the underground dog fence so he wouldn't mess with the neighbors. We went with the PetSafe Stubborn Dog Fence (http://www.petsafe.net/Products/Fencing/In-Ground-Fences/Stubborn-Dog-In-Ground-Fence.aspx) basically because we found a good deal on Ebay. We enclosed 2 acres and it was pretty simple. You can use this fence on up to 10 acres and as many dogs as you want....you just have to buy the collars which are about $50 I think.

I didn't train the dog at all....just put the collar on and let him figure it out himself. It only took a few times getting shocked for him to figure out his boundaries and we haven't had the first problem in 6 months of using the system.

We also looked at the wireless system but it was more money and only had a range of 90ft away from the transmitter or basically 1/2 acre.

sexysilverado45
11-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the help that sounds like the way to go

440racer66
11-30-2010, 12:39 PM
wireless is the way to go. the wire fences are good for about a week then they learn to jump over it and then there free. the wireless runs of a radio and if the collar doesnt get the signal it zaps them till the get the signal again. i wouldnt have a wire fence again.

quad59
11-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Ive had both wire and wireless and am using the wireless now. The wireless is nice because you just plug it in and your up and running, I have the pet safe version and it makes a 90' cicrcle around your transmitter. You can increase the size by adding multiple transmitters but they are costly and so are the collars. A collar was about 100 bucks and the system was close to three and came with one collar. The negative is you can not customize where your dogs can and can not acess your yard, I would prefer mine to stay out of the front yard but I like the wireless better than the wired system. The collar batteries seem to be like cell phones they last forever when the collar is new but as it gets older the batteries die quicker and are 10 bucks for 2. The wired system is about the same cost and it easy to put down just use an edger to dig your trench and kick dirt over the line. The problem I had is you cant bury it to deep and animals kept digging it up, or the freeze thaw would stretch it and break it ( dogs kept getting away) the wireless I have had no problems with I would just prefer not to have great dane piles in my front yard. It is also fun to set the intesity on 10 and dare your trash talking buddies to run for it, brings them to the ground every time but my great dane will stand in it and just twitch alittle.

beags86
12-01-2010, 05:46 PM
petsafe....stopped a 90 lab cold in it tracks... best one on the market.. a bit pricey but worth it

petsmart or petco