PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting thumb throttle

CJM
11-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Anyone know a way to adjust how hard it is to push the thumb throttle? Mines rather hard to push in vs some other EX's Ive ridden.

Maybe inside the carb where the cable goes in? IDK.

PaRedneckRiders
11-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Anyone know a way to adjust how hard it is to push the thumb throttle? Mines rather hard to push in vs some other EX's Ive ridden.

Maybe inside the carb where the cable goes in? IDK.
Could just be a worn out cable, did you think of trying a new one?

rubbersdown
11-26-2010, 01:37 PM
I dont believe you can adjust the tightness of it like that. Best bet would be a new cable or aftermarket throttle.

CJM
11-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Cable looks fine and I lubed it. Could just be worn out I guess. Ive never replaced it since I got the quad in 07.

I think Im gonna have to yank off the carb and see how its setup in there.

slightlybent47
11-26-2010, 02:17 PM
You can take the little return spring out of the thumb throttle. I did that and it helped but not much. Some say you can take the spring out of the carb and shorten it to make it weaker but I have never done it nor have I seen it done. My stock carb was like that, and had a slow feeling to it; the 450 carb solved all that. The 450 carb is way better then the stock one.

slightlybent47
11-26-2010, 02:21 PM
Also my cable looked fine but when I replaced it, it worked better but still not as good as the 450 carb is

CJM
11-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Good info there bent. Since Im gonna swap to a 450R carb anyways over the winter Ill probably leave the setup alone for now.

slightlybent47
11-26-2010, 03:48 PM
I don’t know if there all like that or it was just the one I have but the stock carb always felt sluggish.

CJM
11-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
I don’t know if there all like that or it was just the one I have but the stock carb always felt sluggish.

Mine doesnt feel sluggish at all, just hard to push the throttle vs other quads it seems.

slightlybent47
11-26-2010, 04:02 PM
Is your thumb getting tired? I found that with my stock carb set up it was just easer to keep it pined all the time.lol

CJM
11-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Is your thumb getting tired? I found that with my stock carb set up it was just easer to keep it pined all the time.lol

No, not really. What hurts is my left hand cause its holding on for dear life the entire time lol..

slightlybent47
11-26-2010, 04:43 PM
I know what ya mean.lol
The 450 carb should be better, but try this in the mean time till you make the changeover.
Rotate the throttle downward just a little bit, you may have it set too high. If it’s too high my hand gets tired faster. I have mine just loose enough so if I grab it with both hands I can move it up or down a little bit, that way I can move it without getting out a wrench.

Another thing that helps is to just try to relax and stay loose when you ride. When I started racing I noticed that I got arm pump real bad during a race but not when I practiced. I realized that in that first lap my adrenalin was pumping and I had a death grip on the bars.lol
So I learned to stay relaxed and that helped a lot.

CJM
11-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Nah my thumb doesnt hurt at all man, like I said just my left hand from holding the bar.

It also doesnt help my steering stem is 9 ways bent to sunday and is hard to turn.

deathman53
11-26-2010, 08:10 PM
JL ATV does sell an adjustable thumb throttle lever, its wider, longer and better cushioned than stock ones. It is something like $40. I used them before I changed everything to twists.