PDA

View Full Version : cold blooded 400ex????

pepshocks
11-26-2010, 01:10 PM
bone stock 00 honda 400ex. full choke when its cold take the choke off 2 mins later n it keeps stalling. i have to hold throttle quater way to idle n it seems to cut out every few seconds. my 2001 400ex does the same thing. any ideas guys???

PaRedneckRiders
11-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Get a 42 pilot jet, it really helps on those cold days.

Also try turning the idle up a little.

But the 42 pilot should help alot.

pepshocks
11-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by PaRedneckRiders
Get a 42 pilot jet, it really helps on those cold days.

Also try turning the idle up a little.

But the 42 pilot should help alot. what is the stock size?

PaRedneckRiders
11-26-2010, 01:18 PM

pepshocks
11-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by PaRedneckRiders
38 i should be able to switch it without pulling off the carb right?

PaRedneckRiders
11-26-2010, 02:06 PM
It would be alot easier to do if u pull the carb, u have the pull the bowel of then the float pin out the float and then you can get to the pilot, make sure you dont lose any parts and while your in there you might as well clean the carb and make sure the main is clean also.

hocman123
11-26-2010, 03:02 PM
42 sounds a little high for a bone stock 400 it would most likely give u problems in the summer months i would go with a 40 it would still help a lot and u could run it year around

f419sr1
11-26-2010, 04:10 PM
I have the same problem with a 07. I called the dealer and he told me to drain the bowl. With todays bad fuels the ethanol builds up in the bowl and it wont run right. The other thing is it will run great then start to sputter like its running out of fuel. If I put the choke on and rev it up then shut it off it runs great again. The dealer still says its the ethanol. I thought it may have been a clogged jet. I was going to put a in line filter in but theres no room.
Are the stock jets on the 07 the same. A 38.

bherriman
11-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by f419sr1
I have the same problem with a 07. I called the dealer and he told me to drain the bowl. With todays bad fuels the ethanol builds up in the bowl and it wont run right. The other thing is it will run great then start to sputter like its running out of fuel. If I put the choke on and rev it up then shut it off it runs great again. The dealer still says its the ethanol. I thought it may have been a clogged jet. I was going to put a in line filter in but theres no room.
Are the stock jets on the 07 the same. A 38.

Thats odd..everyone I talk to says the ethanol actually helps clean things out. The jets are the same on all years.

CJM
11-26-2010, 04:27 PM
The jets might be the same but the carb might not be adjusted exactly the same on the air/fuel mixture screw I think.

My buddy has a stock carb on his 05 and it starts with minimal effort. Choke all the way on and just hold the throttle for a sec and then you can put it on half choke and let it run.

My other buddy has 2 (ones his and ones his GF) 07 left overs. Both of them are super hard to get going, requiring him to keep the throttle up till its warmed up. I need to adjut his a/f mix a bit and see it helps I think its to lean.

Mine has a 42 pilot and is a bit to rich when on full choke, but fine everywhere else. When its super cold I gotta put it on full choke, start it and rev it up slightly and then put on half choke and it runs.

I do not like ethanol and if I could find gas that doesnt use it I would be happy. What happens is ethanol is hygroscopic and ABSORBS water-this degrading your fuel. I wont use anything besides 89 or better.

hocman123
11-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Mine has a 42 pilot and is a bit to rich when on full choke, but fine everywhere else. When its super cold I gotta put it on full choke, start it and rev it up slightly and then put on half choke and it runs.

thats the reason i think he should have a 40 with stock engine. b/c u have a 42 but have a lot of engine and other mods done but on a stock machine i think it would be to much.

might be able to get away with it in the winter but it would be in trouble in the summer

CJM
11-26-2010, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by hocman123
thats the reason i think he should have a 40 with stock engine. b/c u have a 42 but have a lot of engine and other mods done but on a stock machine i think it would be to much.

might be able to get away with it in the winter but it would be in trouble in the summer

Agreed.

PaRedneckRiders
11-26-2010, 06:58 PM
didnt think of running a 40 in a stock motor, i ran a 42 in mine when it had a stock carb but still had all the mods in my sig other than the 450 carb and the +3 timing key

CJM
11-26-2010, 07:11 PM
42 would probably be too rich overall on a stock engine.

I know mines rich on choke b/c if I rev it up a bit I get some nice black smoke when chokes fully on

f419sr1
11-27-2010, 07:22 AM
Mine not only hard starting but will cut out in the middle of a ride. It will act like it runs out of fuel and the more you squeeze the throttle the more it bogs. If I put the choke on and rev it up it will run fine again. I was thinking it was dirt in the carb but the dealer says its the ethanol. I think he just dosnt want to pull the carb off and clean it.
When starting it cold it will keep stalling even if I give it a little gas. it gets longer each time I restart it but may take 8 or ten times before it stays running.
I dont think its a ethanol problem. Maybe on the first ride after I got it but its been out every week end and all the old fuel is long gone. I only run high test in it.