PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Starter Stuck??

MyfirstHondaATV
11-26-2010, 01:09 AM
I would appreciate some advice on a problem that I am experiencing with my 400ex.

I recently installed an AMR rev box on the quad when I was riding this past weekend.

At some point in the day the starter would not stop turning over, thus running my battery dead while I was riding ( I wasnt aware that it was stuck, since the exhaust is pretty loud) Now I have charged the battery and when I connect it the starter starts cranking over automatically. What can I do to remedy this?

I will re-install the oem rev limiter to ensure that the new AMR rev box is not the problem.

Scro
11-26-2010, 06:49 AM
Did it start doing it as soon as you put the rev box on? If it did, I would first putting the stock rev box back on to see if that makes a difference. Secondly, I would take the start button apart and clean it really good.

wilkin250r
11-26-2010, 08:50 AM
That problem is usually the starter solenoid.

The starter motor takes a LOT of energy to spin. Way more energy than your little starter button can handle. If you wanted your starter motor connected directly to your handlebar button, you'd need a button at least 10 times the size you have now.

So what they do is use a starter solenoid. It's like a big switch, only it's electrically activated. So your starter button doesn't actually activate your starter, it activates the solenoid (which requires a lot less energy, so your button can be small). Your solenoid then activates your starter motor.

Sometimes the solenoid gets stuck closed, so it's ALWAYS passing electricity to your starter motor. It's most common with a low battery, but it can happen any time.

MyfirstHondaATV
11-30-2010, 02:42 AM
Thank you both for your responses.

I was away on a work related trip, just got back. I replaced the oem rev box and I cleaned the starter switch. But no luck it is still cranking up as soon as I connect the battery, so its got to be the solenoid.

Where is it located and how do I get it to reset itself, or do I need to buy a new one?

Scro
11-30-2010, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by MyfirstHondaATV
Thank you both for your responses.

I was away on a work related trip, just got back. I replaced the oem rev box and I cleaned the starter switch. But no luck it is still cranking up as soon as I connect the battery, so its got to be the solenoid.

Where is it located and how do I get it to reset itself, or do I need to buy a new one?

You will probably end up buying a new one.

rubbersdown
11-30-2010, 09:55 AM
its the round thing to the left of your battery.

wilkin250r
12-02-2010, 01:56 PM
If you follow the positive battery cable off of the battery, the first thing it connects to is the starter solenoid. The solenoid will also have another wire the same size coming off it (goes to the starter), and two smaller wires as well (that's the activation coming from the starter button).

There's no "resetting" it, you'll have to buy a new one. Like I said, it's basically a switch, and right now it's welded in the "on" position.