PDA

View Full Version : how to fill a radiator..

fasterblaster09
11-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Of all the vehicles ive had, I have never had such an aggervating car. My girlfriends 95 mustang (v6 3.8) started overheating, had symptoms of thrmostat, changed it, worked great until was riding in town it started to overheat. Ended up changing water pump, hoses, thermostat 3 times, until finally a certain mechanic said these motors have been known to give problems with air in cooling system, so I let sit running for a while and it ended up being a couple gallons short of coolant. Its not overheating, except SOMETIMES every once in a while when sitting it will go up slightly then go back down, so Im guessing it still has a small air pocket. How do I go about completely getting the air out? It does have a bleed valve nut by thermostat just unsure of the process I need to follow. thanks, neil

Kickstarts-suck
11-25-2010, 08:05 PM
let it idle with the cap off for a while.

Sjorge450R
11-25-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
let it idle with the cap off for a while.

yep. give it a few burbs of the throttle here and there too. Sometimes that helps the air work its way out

fasterblaster09
11-25-2010, 08:18 PM
yeh that what I did before, it got damn near all of it. Her aunt might be getting it from us and she makes trips to mississippi every week I just want to make sure its good. I guess I will try that some more tomorrow. Thanks

chucked
11-26-2010, 05:52 AM
I have a device that sucks all the air out of the cooling system. They're kind of pricey but its cheaper then putting head gaskets on.

CJM
11-26-2010, 12:04 PM
As it idles, pump the upper rad hose to force the bubbles out. Sometimes its hard to get all the air out and you might have to wait a good half hour or more of it running.

deathman53
11-26-2010, 01:43 PM
I always run it for some time w/o radiator cap and/or overflow cap on. It usually does it. My ktm dirtbike, it doesn't work, I have to remove the bleed bolt from the head and radiator.

fasterblaster09
11-26-2010, 09:20 PM
well today is the first time it gave problems, my fiance said it would go up and down on the way to work. Today is the first cold day we had yet, I dont know if it had anyrhing to do with it. But on her drive back, it didn't act up at all. So I took cap off and it was short on coolant, hopefully its all out now. this is very, very frustrating. THENN I just got an 01 mustang with v6 also and the people before were having same problem, they didn't know of them having the air problems. None of my other vehicles were this nitpicky

snacob14
11-26-2010, 09:35 PM
check your oil. those aluminum headed engines are notorious for warping heads. got one sitting in the driveway that does the same stuff.

CJM
11-26-2010, 09:41 PM
yep, oil looks like a milkshake then your doing a head gasket.

416racer
11-27-2010, 07:26 AM
Since it has a bleed valve you can open it with the motor off and cool, then fill it through the cap untill all the air quits coming out of the bleeder. youll lose some coolant but keep filling it untill is a good stream of water.

fasterblaster09
11-27-2010, 07:27 AM
it wasnt mixing a few weeks ago. When we were changing the water pump I accidentally hit my hand on the head of the oil dip stick and it broke..its been a few about a month like that..I completely forgot about it. But its been driving great. Last night it gave us no problems. I will go try to take the dipstick out, but im pretty sure the headgaskets arent blown