PDA

View Full Version : 520 to 428 conversion.

jcs003
11-24-2010, 01:14 PM
anyone consider or are using this conversion? sidewinder/krause and another company whom i cannot recall do it with success.

i am considering this. any thoughts, suggestions or disagreements?

sidewinders page:

http://sidewindersprockets.com/conversionkits.html

jcs003
11-24-2010, 02:30 PM
there must be a few engineers out there with contributions...

C41Xracer
11-24-2010, 07:13 PM
i think its a good idea less rotating mass means faster acceleration. my only concern is how fast the chain will stretch and how long will it last

honda400ex2003
11-24-2010, 07:52 PM
x2 you would have to get a really good chain to withstand that force as compared to a 520 chain. it would definitely be lighter for sure though. lighter= better power to weight ratio of the drivetrain. steve

skyeryder
11-24-2010, 09:23 PM
That's what size chain we run our mini quads.... If I had any type of high horse power motor there is almost no way I'd consider this, some things are too important to sacrifice for a little more power just my .02

I don't think I'deven try it with a stock motor....

jcs003
11-25-2010, 03:15 AM
i have considered a chain wear issue. krause racing seems to do well with it and im seeinbg minimal benefits. reason i bring this up is, we have discussed many different motor modifications that were negligable and thought this would be good for discussion. also, im wanting to try this. someone must be the guinie pig.

wilkin250r
11-25-2010, 07:50 AM
I've never tried it, but I'm against the idea.

Look on ebay, or on here, and see how many engines have a broken case saver bolt, or how many engines list a broken case near the sprocket. Sure, many of them get welded and have no problems, but that's not the issue. All these problems come from broken chains.

If a 520 chain breaks this often, and creates this many problems, ain't no way I'm going down in size (and strength). If I'm doing any type of chain conversion, I'm going UP. Anybody make a 530 conversion? :p

leager-n-ky
11-25-2010, 08:30 AM
In my opinion, krause chains are the best you can get, the only chain i have ever seen break was a 428 chain on my kids mini. the damage to most 250r cases, are due to the chain coming off worn out sprockets, or allignment issues, not really breaking the chain. But i would not drop to a 428 even if it was a Krause chain, not worth the chance.... just my $ .02...

morse250r
11-25-2010, 08:38 AM
besides a crap load of cash for the conversion

deathman53
11-25-2010, 08:52 AM
I feel differently about sidewinder chain/sprockets. They are over-priced and over-hyped and can't forget the crappy after-sales. I wore out a set on my trx250r after ~1 year of use, I was denied because I used a NON-STOCK gearing(14/38) and didn't use their chain lube. Thats just bad business practice, now who uses stock gearing????? most go taller or shorter depending on their needs. I use primary drive sprockets(steel), Ironman rear sprockets, did x-ring atv chains and liquid wrench silicon spray(for chain lube). Stuff has lasted awhile using that.

gandgracing
11-26-2010, 07:39 AM
I will never deal with krause/sidewinder again. Terrible customer service and that was the only chain I have ever broke was from them. And it was suppose to be there top of the line 520. And there aluminum rear sprocket didnt last at all. I would stay away from them.