PDA

View Full Version : What now?

flyboy1294
11-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Hey guys,

I'm having some trouble with an FCR carb on my 440.

As many of you know, the quad has been torn down and built back up from the ground over the past year. However, these small details are killing me.

Right now it has a 40mm FCR off a CRF450R on it.
When I had the stock carb, it ran 185/40

Now, with this thing, I started off in the 170/42 range and it was WAY too rich. Now I'm down to a 132/30 and it still is acting rich (Fire coming out exhaust, etc)

The problem is they do not make much smaller jet sizes, I've gone as small as it gets for this carb.

What do I do know? I'll try messing more with the needle today, but I am doubtful for any real breakthroughs. It's been forever since this quad has been up and running, and I'm getting sick of having a 4K paper weight taking up space in my garage.

Scro
11-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Try it without the ECR lid completely. If it gets better, then you know you are still too rich. Did it make any difference between the 132/30 and 170/42? That should have made a big difference in the way it ran and cranked (for better or for worse). Are you sure it's timed correctly? That can cause it to backfire and run poorly.

jcs003
11-24-2010, 01:34 PM
i agree with scro. sounds like the cam time is off.

flyboy1294
11-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Yes, a difference was made. It has improved greatly, but is still not right.

As for the time, I'm pretty sure I got it right. I got the engine on TDC and lined up the marks on the Cam sprocket up, then installed it with the lobes facing upwards.. any problems with that technique?

416racer
11-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Im pretty sure the lobes go down, if Im not mistaken

3400ben
11-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by flyboy1294
Yes, a difference was made. It has improved greatly, but is still not right.

As for the time, I'm pretty sure I got it right. I got the engine on TDC and lined up the marks on the Cam sprocket up, then installed it with the lobes facing upwards.. any problems with that technique?

Lobes go down!!!!!!!

CJM
11-24-2010, 06:07 PM
oh boy your timing is WAY off if the lobes are up.

Retime everything, take it apart and put the lobes down at TDC and readjust the valves!

NacsMXer
11-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by CJM
oh boy your timing is WAY off if the lobes are up.

Retime everything, take it apart and put the lobes down at TDC and readjust the valves!

If you put it together with the lobes up I don't think it will mess up the timing to where it would run badly. It would simply shift the timing to a different stroke when the T mark on the flywheel is lined up with the notch in the sight hole. It would also make it more difficult to put the rocker cover on with the lobes up.

First off, i'm pretty sure the 400 has a redundant spark where it fires on each revolution regardless of the stroke.

Now if you imagined the piston traveling up and down without the cam installed to connect the top end to the crank, every time the piston would hit TDC would simply be TDC. In other words, TDC with the piston on the compression stroke and TDC with the piston on the exhaust stroke would be the same thing. The piston at TDC, doesn't know what stroke it is on until the cam is installed to open/close the valves.

To to sum it up, installing the cam lobes down puts the piston at TDC on the compression stroke (T mark lined up with notch) - good for adjusting valves.

Installing the cam lobes up puts the piston at TDC on the exhaust stroke (T mark lined up with notch) - bad for adjusting valves b/c exhaust valves are open!

So installing the cam lobes up would not be a good thing, but I don't think it will change the timing unless you shift it a tooth on the cam sprocket.

flyboy1294, you have a FCR MX style carb that is somewhat finicky to get right on a quad. Try giving Eddie Sisneros from thumpertalk an email to describe your issues. He is somewhat of a FCR guru and might be able to point you in the right direction. SSpeedworks@gmail.com

Also, take that rocker cover off and put in the cam lobes down this time. You are going to have a hard time finding TDC on the compression stroke to adjust your valves. You will have to insert something into the spark plug hole instead of lining up the T mark on the flywheel. It will give you a chance to verify the timing hasn't shifted a tooth on you while you're in there!

flyboy1294
11-28-2010, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
If you put it together with the lobes up I don't think it will mess up the timing to where it would run badly. It would simply shift the timing to a different stroke when the T mark on the flywheel is lined up with the notch in the sight hole. It would also make it more difficult to put the rocker cover on with the lobes up.

First off, i'm pretty sure the 400 has a redundant spark where it fires on each revolution regardless of the stroke.

Now if you imagined the piston traveling up and down without the cam installed to connect the top end to the crank, every time the piston would hit TDC would simply be TDC. In other words, TDC with the piston on the compression stroke and TDC with the piston on the exhaust stroke would be the same thing. The piston at TDC, doesn't know what stroke it is on until the cam is installed to open/close the valves.

To to sum it up, installing the cam lobes down puts the piston at TDC on the compression stroke (T mark lined up with notch) - good for adjusting valves.

Installing the cam lobes up puts the piston at TDC on the exhaust stroke (T mark lined up with notch) - bad for adjusting valves b/c exhaust valves are open!

So installing the cam lobes up would not be a good thing, but I don't think it will change the timing unless you shift it a tooth on the cam sprocket.

flyboy1294, you have a FCR MX style carb that is somewhat finicky to get right on a quad. Try giving Eddie Sisneros from thumpertalk an email to describe your issues. He is somewhat of a FCR guru and might be able to point you in the right direction. SSpeedworks@gmail.com

Also, take that rocker cover off and put in the cam lobes down this time. You are going to have a hard time finding TDC on the compression stroke to adjust your valves. You will have to insert something into the spark plug hole instead of lining up the T mark on the flywheel. It will give you a chance to verify the timing hasn't shifted a tooth on you while you're in there!

Best information I've had in a while; thanks Nacs.

As you said, flipped the cam back over and there was no improvement unfortunately.

I also emailed the gentlemen you specified, and he replied saying that was his work email, and to post the same questions in the thread he made on thumpertalk... I can't find this thread though. Do you think you can help me out?

NacsMXer
11-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Best information I've had in a while; thanks Nacs.

As you said, flipped the cam back over and there was no improvement unfortunately.

I also emailed the gentlemen you specified, and he replied saying that was his work email, and to post the same questions in the thread he made on thumpertalk... I can't find this thread though. Do you think you can help me out?

No problem :)

My bad on the email address. Just make a user name over on TT if you already haven't. This is the forum Eddie hosts for jetting and such over at TT, post your topic here:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64

flyboy1294
11-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
No problem :)

My bad on the email address. Just make a user name over on TT if you already haven't. This is the forum Eddie hosts for jetting and such over at TT, post your topic here:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64

No problem man, I appreciate the help.

Maybe someone over there can point me in the right direction

mlabarca240
11-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Have you tried running a hotter plug?

flyboy1294
11-30-2010, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by mlabarca240
Have you tried running a hotter plug?

No... how could that help the situation?

flyboy1294
11-30-2010, 07:18 PM
The guys over at TT seem to agree that it sounds like a timing issue.

Can someone update me on the correct procedure of adjusting the timing?

Here is what I do now:

Remove plugs and valve cover
Remove tensioner
Rotate flywheel until 'T' is visible
Install cam lobes DOWN
Install cam sprocket
Install tensioner
Tighten everything up.

Is there anything I'm missing or can do different?

CJM
11-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Your lining the marks on the cam sprocket up with the head right?

After all of its done you need to adjust your valves too.

flyboy1294
11-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Your lining the marks on the cam sprocket up with the head right?

After all of its done you need to adjust your valves too.

Yes I am.

And I got the valve thing almost down to a science at this point haha.

CJM
11-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Something still dont seem right if it wont run good.

Lets see here:
-piston properly facing (whichever way the arrow goes on your particular piston, iirc most point to the front of the atv)
-rings are on right and gapped properly
-timing is good as we already know

Not much less besides possibly improper jetting imho.

Im stumped.

flyboy1294
11-30-2010, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Something still dont seem right if it wont run good.

Lets see here:
-piston properly facing (whichever way the arrow goes on your particular piston, iirc most point to the front of the atv)
-rings are on right and gapped properly
-timing is good as we already know

Not much less besides possibly improper jetting imho.

Im stumped.

Piston is in correctly, I know for certain.

As for the rings, I had them gapped and installed at the shop, so I am hesitant to believe they are incorrect. Even though I am a bit untrusting because I didn't do it with my own two hands.

Someone mentioned adjusting the accelerator pump over at TT, I might look into that.

IMSROLL450R
12-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Any luck? I'm curious as to what it is....

rubbersdown
12-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Did you try jets in between 170/42 and 132/30? Because 132/30 seems like it would be pretty lean even with that carb. Does the bike actually run long enough for you to ride it and see what it does? how does it run? Shooting flames out the exhaust?, what color flames (blue or yellow)?

flyboy1294
12-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by IMSROLL450R
Any luck? I'm curious as to what it is....

No luck. Everyone said timing, but I know for a fact my timing is fine as far as I can tell.

* on a side note, I have found that if I rotate the flywheel to the T, and check the cam, the lobes will be down. However, if I rotate it until I see the T again, the lobes will be up. Is this normal?

RD,
Yes, I tried every other size between 185/55 and 130/30. It showed improvement around 140/32, but still is backfiring and shooting fire.

It will run as long as you rev the throttle. I have ridden it some for very short distances (IE: 50ft). It seems very powerful, but you have to be ready to grab the clutch because it revs uncontrollably.

Also, it only shoots fire at higher RPMS. I think they are bluish as for as I can tell.

At this point I'm tired of fooling with it. I think I'll sell this damn FCR and try to get another stock carb. I know I'll be robbing myself of power, but atleast I can get that carb to run. :confused:

I have a very ominous feeling that my engine builder has ****ed up my valves seats or something major like that.

honda400ex2003
12-04-2010, 03:54 PM
air leak somewhere? maybe at the header or on the intake. man this is an interesting story to say the least.

one T will be TDC and another will be BDC you want TDC

steve

flyboy1294
12-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
air leak somewhere? maybe at the header or on the intake. man this is an interesting story to say the least.

one T will be TDC and another will be BDC you want TDC

steve

It does make a 'whining' sound that could potentially be an airleak, but I think it'd almost have to be in the exhaust. The intake is very direct. At this point its basically a rubber tube coming from the head to the carb, then an air-filter on the carb.

And if it IS in the exhaust, how could I correct it? I have fresh crush gaskets in there.

And the one that is at TDC should be tight when I turn over the engine, correct?

honda400ex2003
12-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Maybe you have a cracked boot or something that only gets triggered when it gets alot of air moving through it. really hard to say. it should have no force on the valves when on the correct stroke. it should be the compression stroke that is slack. steve

rubbersdown
12-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Out of control revs and shooting flames could be an air leak a steve said. Sure the head gaskets good? Check the exhaust right around the flanges for cracks.
So this is the first time trying to start this motor sense the rebuild? I wonder if your cdi or coil is actually bad and messing with the ignition timing, do you happen to have a different one to throw on to test it?

flyboy1294
12-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by rubbersdown
Out of control revs and shooting flames could be an air leak a steve said. Sure the head gaskets good? Check the exhaust right around the flanges for cracks.
So this is the first time trying to start this motor sense the rebuild? I wonder if your cdi or coil is actually bad and messing with the ignition timing, do you happen to have a different one to throw on to test it?

I don't know where the air leak could be though.

The head gasket is a brand new Cometic, so I doubt there.

It could be in the intake I guess. I had to fashion a custom extension to make the airbox sit in the stock position.

How could I test this?

honda400ex2003
12-04-2010, 08:15 PM
you could use carb cleaner or starter spray and spray it around the intake and see if the rpms fluctuates or not. that would be the first thing to do. other than that, it is hard to say. flex it all and check for hairline cracks in it everything. steve

honda400ex2003
12-04-2010, 08:17 PM
also check around the cylinder/boot and check that gasket for good mating material also. I have heard a couple of people that had leaks where they meet and where the round boot part meets the bolt plate. mostly it is on the bottom of that boot. steve

rubbersdown
12-04-2010, 08:17 PM
I don't know where the air leak could be though.

The head gasket is a brand new Cometic, so I doubt there.

It could be in the intake I guess. I had to fashion a custom extension to make the airbox sit in the stock position.

How could I test this?

easiest way to test for an intake leak is to just get the bike started and let it idle (even if it doesn't idle well) then just take a can of carb cleaner and spray it all around the intake tube, if it has a leak the bike will rev up because its sucking in the carb cleaner like its fuel.

edit: damn, steves a faster typer than me lol

honda400ex2003
12-04-2010, 08:22 PM
;) fast draw... steve from the old west. I go way back man ;)

http://www.smilieshq.com/smilies/fighting0010.gif (http://www.smilieshq.com)

steve

honda400ex2003
12-04-2010, 08:23 PM
also my email is open and i have 2 minute refreshes for send/receive so i get them within a minute most of the time. plus i am super bored tonight, i already rode 20 miles on the sled today so im not doing that again tonight so im watching tv and browsing as usual. steve

flyboy1294
12-04-2010, 08:24 PM
There are no tears in the boot or anything, it's like new.

I think it must be in my little adapter thing. I'll try to find out tomorrow by doing as you suggested

honda400ex2003
12-04-2010, 08:28 PM
good luck! steve

rubbersdown
12-05-2010, 10:02 AM
OK, Im taking a dif approach and thinking of things that would make my crf450r do this sense we have the same carb and ive thought of a couple things to check. These are not 400ex related but fcr specific so let me know if you dont know what im talking about.

First: the hot start: what did you do with it? put it on your bars, block it off? Either way make sure the plunger is seated all the way and you do not have an air leak because that will def. cause a hanging idle and large flame backfires.

Second: this is my guess... Check that the vacuum release plate is in the right way and not upside down, that is a huge cause of exactly your symptoms and very often gets put back in upside down because it fits either way. The plate is slightly arrow shaped and should be "pointing" up. If you dont know what im talking about get on bikebandit or motosport and look at the carb microfiche for a crf450r and look at number 16. They call it a "floating valve set" but everyone in the crf world calls it a vacuum release plate.

IMSROLL450R
12-06-2010, 10:52 AM
OK, Im taking a dif approach and thinking of things that would make my crf450r do this sense we have the same carb and ive thought of a couple things to check. These are not 400ex related but fcr specific so let me know if you dont know what im talking about.

First: the hot start: what did you do with it? put it on your bars, block it off? Either way make sure the plunger is seated all the way and you do not have an air leak because that will def. cause a hanging idle and large flame backfires.

Second: this is my guess... Check that the vacuum release plate is in the right way and not upside down, that is a huge cause of exactly your symptoms and very often gets put back in upside down because it fits either way. The plate is slightly arrow shaped and should be "pointing" up. If you dont know what im talking about get on bikebandit or motosport and look at the carb microfiche for a crf450r and look at number 16. They call it a "floating valve set" but everyone in the crf world calls it a vacuum release plate.

Great ideas there!!!!!!!!! Damn I wanna know what it is....

flyboy1294
12-06-2010, 02:07 PM
... let me know if you dont know what im talking about.

First: the hot start: what did you do with it?

Second: this is my guess... Check that the vacuum release plate is in the right way and not upside down, that is a huge cause of exactly your symptoms and very often gets put back in upside down because it fits either way.

This is very helpful, thank you SO much.

First, the hot start. As ignorant as it makes me sound, I have forgotten about it entirely. So it's in the stock configuration... what do I need to do with it. Heck I'm not even sure where it's at exactly.

Secondly, I haven't taken the vacuum release plate off... but maybe it's possible the previous owner did it before I got it? I looked into the schematics as you suggested, and I have a very basic understand of it's location...

IMS, I'm as eager as you are. Snow is setting in. If I don't get it running soon, I might have to wait a few weeks to break it in. :ermm:

IMSROLL450R
12-06-2010, 04:01 PM
I just hope you get it runnin I want to know what it is. I'll be goin through the same thing in a few months.....

rubbersdown
12-06-2010, 04:12 PM
This is very helpful, thank you SO much.

First, the hot start. As ignorant as it makes me sound, I have forgotten about it entirely. So it's in the stock configuration... what do I need to do with it. Heck I'm not even sure where it's at exactly.

Secondly, I haven't taken the vacuum release plate off... but maybe it's possible the previous owner did it before I got it? I looked into the schematics as you suggested, and I have a very basic understand of it's location...

IMS, I'm as eager as you are. Snow is setting in. If I don't get it running soon, I might have to wait a few weeks to break it in. :ermm:

Ok if your carbs from a crf450r it should look just like the pic, the red arrow points to the hot start. There should be an elbow with a cable on it leading to a little lever (hot start lever) thats usually mounted on the handlebars. under that threaded fitting (elbow) is a little spring and plunger that gets lifted when you pull the hot start lever. Check yours out and let me know how yours looks. If you never noticed it im assuming the guys took it off before he sold you the carb and if he didnt plug it or didnt plug it good enough it would def cause major havoc with the way your bikes running.
As far as the vacuum plate. I would check it anyways. The guy before you could have taken the carb apart to clean it before selling it and may not have put it together right.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c368/rubbersdown/carb1.jpg

flyboy1294
12-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Ok if your carbs from a crf450r it should look just like the pic, the red arrow points to the hot start. There should be an elbow with a cable on it leading to a little lever (hot start lever) thats usually mounted on the handlebars. under that threaded fitting (elbow) is a little spring and plunger that gets lifted when you pull the hot start lever. Check yours out and let me know how yours looks. If you never noticed it im assuming the guys took it off before he sold you the carb and if he didnt plug it or didnt plug it good enough it would def cause major havoc with the way your bikes running.
As far as the vacuum plate. I would check it anyways. The guy before you could have taken the carb apart to clean it before selling it and may not have put it together right.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c368/rubbersdown/carb1.jpg

The black collar is not even there; I imagine that is why I did not notice it.

In addition, the plunger and spring are not in there either... is there a chance this is my problem? lol

What course of action should I take from here?

rubbersdown
12-06-2010, 11:26 PM
So there is nothing there what so ever? just a hole? If so I would almost guarantee thats your problem. On the crf450's if that boot is even not seated all the way and pulling on the cable just a little it runs bad and backfires and misses, if its not even on there at all its like your hotstart is on all the way all the time so I would imagine that it would run super bad like you have been describing.

Well it depends on if you want the hot start or not. I honestly dont think you would need it on a 400ex sense their relatively easy starting motors. So what I would recommend is to just buy the hot start parts, ebay item number 120535300916 is the cheapest at $18 shipped. Or if you want it sooner a local dealer may have it in stock but itll be like $35 or so I bet. Either way when you get it Just put the parts in (plunger then spring then plastic bolt) The elbow thats on it is a rubber piece that you can just pull off. the spring will hold the plunger down so with no cable on it it will be just like its plugged. then just find some sort of little rubber boot or cover or whatever and hose clamp it or zip tie it over the nut so that dirt doesnt get in there.
Then down the road if you think you want the hot start you can just buy a cable and perch ($30-$40 for a generic set) and put it on in a matter of a few min.

I would honestly almost guarantee you that this is your problem. Its a pretty big deal to not have that on there and will 100% make the bike run like your describing and make it un-tunable.

flyboy1294
12-07-2010, 09:55 AM
So there is nothing there what so ever? just a hole? If so I would almost guarantee thats your problem. On the crf450's if that boot is even not seated all the way and pulling on the cable just a little it runs bad and backfires and misses, if its not even on there at all its like your hotstart is on all the way all the time so I would imagine that it would run super bad like you have been describing.

Well it depends on if you want the hot start or not. I honestly dont think you would need it on a 400ex sense their relatively easy starting motors. So what I would recommend is to just buy the hot start parts, ebay item number 120535300916 is the cheapest at $18 shipped. Or if you want it sooner a local dealer may have it in stock but itll be like $35 or so I bet. Either way when you get it Just put the parts in (plunger then spring then plastic bolt) The elbow thats on it is a rubber piece that you can just pull off. the spring will hold the plunger down so with no cable on it it will be just like its plugged. then just find some sort of little rubber boot or cover or whatever and hose clamp it or zip tie it over the nut so that dirt doesnt get in there.
Then down the road if you think you want the hot start you can just buy a cable and perch ($30-$40 for a generic set) and put it on in a matter of a few min.

I would honestly almost guarantee you that this is your problem. Its a pretty big deal to not have that on there and will 100% make the bike run like your describing and make it un-tunable.

Yep nothing down there at all, just a gaping hole leading into the carburetor.

I can't believe I overlooked it. I just ordered those parts so I'll give you guys an update as soon as I can.

I know for a fact my timing is dead on. There are no airleaks. And I have tried literally every jet within a reasonable spectrum.

Are you running a hotstart setup on yours?

rubbersdown
12-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Yep nothing down there at all, just a gaping hole leading into the carburetor.

I can't believe I overlooked it. I just ordered those parts so I'll give you guys an update as soon as I can.

I know for a fact my timing is dead on. There are no airleaks. And I have tried literally every jet within a reasonable spectrum.

Are you running a hotstart setup on yours?

Im sure that is your problem then. Thats why the jetting changes didnt make the bike run very different. You are probably going to want to up your jets from where your at, i would think you should be around the 155/35 range but I could be wrong. I do not have this carb on my 400 only on my crf450r. My bike has a hot start but I rarely use it because my bike starts easy hot or cold. With an electric start quad I dont think you will need it, should start easy enough using the starter. but if you do end up wanting it its a quick and cheap mod. just a cable and lever and your good to go. Only reason I know so much about the fcr carb is I have had 3 crf450r's, a yz450f and a yfz450 and all 5 of those bikes use fcr carbs so I have taken them apart, adjusted, fixed and rebuilt them a million times.

rubbersdown
12-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Once you get it all dialed in and running good remind me and ill show you how to do the AP mod where you wire together the AP link arm and adjuster and grind down the AP diaphragms shaft. It makes the crf's run so good its like they have EFI. INSTANT throttle response and no lag what so ever. Id imagine it would do the same thing for the 400ex.

IMSROLL450R
12-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Once you get it all dialed in and running good remind me and ill show you how to do the AP mod where you wire together the AP link arm and adjuster and grind down the AP diaphragms shaft. It makes the crf's run so good its like they have EFI. INSTANT throttle response and no lag what so ever. Id imagine it would do the same thing for the 400ex.

Dang dude you are full of great info...

rubbersdown
12-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by IMSROLL450R
Dang dude you are full of great info...
If you work on as many different kinds of bikes and ATV's as I have you learn some random tips and tricks on every type of bike. I own a shop I do mechanic work at for customers (cars and bikes) but I prefer to just buy blown up/broken down bikes, fix em, ride em for a bit then sell em. I have had about 10 different bikes just in the last 8 months lol. I am looking for a new project right now, I dont have a single bike in my garage that isnt my personal bike, it feels weird lol. Sold a custom chopper project of mine a tiny bit ago and made good money on it so ive just been taking it easy working on the 400ex i bought for the wife.
Heres the chopper I built, it was my pride and joy, one of the funnest builds ive ever done i learned a ridiculous amount about harley motors and electronics because I built the motor and wired it myself. Even painted it myself lol.
Was actually thinking of posting a thread on here to see how many guys ride street/dirt bikes.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c368/rubbersdown/clpic1.jpg

flyboy1294
12-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Im sure that is your problem then. Thats why the jetting changes didnt make the bike run very different. You are probably going to want to up your jets from where your at, i would think you should be around the 155/35 range but I could be wrong. I do not have this carb on my 400 only on my crf450r. My bike has a hot start but I rarely use it because my bike starts easy hot or cold. With an electric start quad I dont think you will need it, should start easy enough using the starter. but if you do end up wanting it its a quick and cheap mod. just a cable and lever and your good to go. Only reason I know so much about the fcr carb is I have had 3 crf450r's, a yz450f and a yfz450 and all 5 of those bikes use fcr carbs so I have taken them apart, adjusted, fixed and rebuilt them a million times.

Alright man, I sure appreciate it. The parts are scheduled to arrive Saturday. I will post the results in this thread.

rubbersdown
12-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Alright man, I sure appreciate it. The parts are scheduled to arrive Saturday. I will post the results in this thread.

Cool, no problem bud, this forums been a blessing while working on my 400. Just glad I was able to help someone else out.

rubbersdown
12-13-2010, 03:18 PM
any luck?

flyboy1294
12-13-2010, 08:54 PM
any luck?

The parts still haven't arrived lol.

We got close to 6" of snow over the weekend. Roads are close to inaccessible. I'm hoping it will come tomorrow. More snow is scheduled Wednesday.

I'll post on here as soon as I get it :D

rubbersdown
12-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Haha ok just checkin. I miss the snow. Its hot as balls here in AZ (for december anyway lol). It got up to 81 yesterday and I literally got a mild sunburn while at the street fair lol.

flyboy1294
12-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Haha ok just checkin. I miss the snow. Its hot as balls here in AZ (for december anyway lol). It got up to 81 yesterday and I literally got a mild sunburn while at the street fair lol.

Haha 9F on my porch right now.

rubbersdown
12-13-2010, 10:55 PM
I would LOVE that! For a little while anyways lol. I grew up in MI and NY so I know what its like. Its 11pm here and its still 65 out though. Id like it a little colder. I doubt our mountains (7,500ft) will even get snow before Christmas.

flyboy1294
12-13-2010, 10:57 PM
I enjoy it, aside from the salt rusting out vehicles, and the mail not running.
:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure The south-central east is the place to be. Winters are too cold, summers aren't to hot. :p

rubbersdown
12-13-2010, 11:05 PM
haha yah me and the wife have actually been talking of moving to north carolina. Plenty of MX tracks and land/houses are MUCH cheaper than out west.
That is true though, out here in AZ I could store my bike outside for a year and have no rust on it. Out of me, my family and all my friends who ride I actually cant think of anyone out here that has ANY rust on their bike or vehicle lol.

flyboy1294
12-14-2010, 02:56 PM
haha yah me and the wife have actually been talking of moving to north carolina. Plenty of MX tracks and land/houses are MUCH cheaper than out west.
That is true though, out here in AZ I could store my bike outside for a year and have no rust on it. Out of me, my family and all my friends who ride I actually cant think of anyone out here that has ANY rust on their bike or vehicle lol.

Ah, I spent a year in NC on a marine base awhile back during Operation Iraqy Freedom. The weather was amazing there. I was right on the coast, so it was a bit more temporal than here in KY.

Anyway though, the parts did not come in the mail today.

That's my update. Hopefully I'll have better news tomorrow. :scary:

bherriman
12-14-2010, 07:52 PM

Tha'ts a heat wave lol. 1*F with a wind chill of -12*F. It's a bit brisk in my parts.

rubbersdown
12-14-2010, 09:31 PM
damn man, where you at? Its crazy to think there can be almost a 70+ degree difference between states when the whole countries only around 3,000 miles wide lol. I swear there must be a hole in the ozone right above tucson.

bherriman
12-15-2010, 11:28 AM
I live in west-central Illinois. It's pretty cold, but it can get down around -20 or so with the wind chill. Thats not very fun.

flyboy1294
12-16-2010, 09:46 AM
On that note, it made it down to -3*F the night before last here. :D

Also, the parts still have no shown up. I imagine the mail is somewhat swamped from the holiday season, so I'm trying to remain patient.

They may arrive this afternoon. I'll keep you guys posted.

rubbersdown
12-16-2010, 11:01 AM
On that note, it made it down to -3*F the night before last here. :D

Also, the parts still have no shown up. I imagine the mail is somewhat swamped from the holiday season, so I'm trying to remain patient.

They may arrive this afternoon. I'll keep you guys posted.

where you end up ordering them from?

flyboy1294
12-16-2010, 12:39 PM

I'm a lazy *** and just bought the exact ones that someone linked from eBay earlier :D

I believe Service Honda was the seller though. So I'm not worried about getting ripped.

flyboy1294
12-16-2010, 12:39 PM

I'm a lazy *** and just bought the exact ones that someone linked from eBay earlier :D

I believe Service Honda was the seller though. So I'm not worried about getting ripped.

rubbersdown
12-16-2010, 12:53 PM
thats what I was wondering. Me and other people I know have had a bunch of problems with service honda lately. I ordered a few jets from them that they said were "in stock" after 2 weeks of not getting them I called and they said they didnt even have them yet and would let me know when they got them. So I ended up going and getting them locally and when i called to cancel my order they charged me a 20% restocking fee for an item that never even shipped. THEN 3 days after I canceled the order I get an email from ups saying they shipped out! they never gave me my money back and now if I want to return them I have to pay to ship them back. I will personally never shop there again.

EDIT: I actually got a call from them as soon as I posted this, turns out my cancellation order was received but never put threw so the item shipped. So they are going to refund me my money and let me keep the jets because he said and I quote "It would cost us more to have the shipment stopped than we payed for the jets, so merry Christmas" So service honda sent me gift which is cool of them but I still doubt I will shop there till after the holiday season. They must be super busy or something.

hocman123
12-16-2010, 03:47 PM
yea i hate service honda i have ordered from them before and have waitted weeks for my stuff at really high shipping price. and let me tell u the shipping is were they make there money. they have the lowest prices on the parts but after the shipping they are more money then the other people.

i ordered some a-arm bushing from then last week all the parts were 37 bucks so i order it and they sent me a e-mail the next day saying that the total with shipping was 88 dollers. so that was 51 dollers to ship about a half a pound of stuff 2 states so i called and cancled( they did see what was so crazy about the price) and i am still waiting for my money to be giveb back to my card allmost 5 days latter. i am about to call the card company and cancle the payment.

bottom line i will be ordeing all my stuff from mrcycles from now on. got all the parts shipped for 49 dollers

rubbersdown
12-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by hocman123
yea i hate service honda i have ordered from them before and have waitted weeks for my stuff at really high shipping price. and let me tell u the shipping is were they make there money. they have the lowest prices on the parts but after the shipping they are more money then the other people.

i ordered some a-arm bushing from then last week all the parts were 37 bucks so i order it and they sent me a e-mail the next day saying that the total with shipping was 88 dollers. so that was 51 dollers to ship about a half a pound of stuff 2 states so i called and cancled( they did see what was so crazy about the price) and i am still waiting for my money to be giveb back to my card allmost 5 days latter. i am about to call the card company and cancle the payment.

bottom line i will be ordeing all my stuff from mrcycles from now on. got all the parts shipped for 49 dollers

yah their shipping is inane. I will more then likely never order from there again. I am a bigger fan of motosport, shippings not outrageous but every order over $99 gets free 3 day shipping. Which, lets face it with as much as bike parts cost $99 is easy to get to.

flyboy1294
12-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Whoa, didn't mean to start a Service Honda bashing extravaganza... I like the place, even though the shipping charges are high.

Anyway, I received the hotstart today. It was as described, I couldn't be happier.

With that said, I installed it immediately.

Worked like a charm!
The quad starts and idles like a champ. I am using a 150 main and 38 pilot. I 'think' its a little bit rich (Blows raw gas out the exhaust when you nail the throttle... also has some hesitation if you nail it from a stand still.) But it runs right now so I'm not going to worry too much about it.

I rode it for 10 minutes in terrible conditions, and it ran pretty good. There is a bit of a whistle that I imagine is the exhaust gaskets leaking... I'll take care of that soon.

Anyway, I'd like to say a huge thank you to everyone that's helped me with this thing. Specifically rubbersdown and IMSROLL450R. I would have given up a long time ago if not for your help.

I will update the build thread tonight, and I expect completion pictures within the week (Whenever the weather lets it. It's nasty outside this evening.)

rubbersdown
12-16-2010, 04:48 PM
awesome man, glad to hear it! Im sure your pretty good at changing the jets in that sucker by now so im sure you will get it all tuned in right lol. That low end bog (bog when you jam the throttle open) is an fcr problem thats cause by the AP. If you ever get bored and wanna fix it give this a try... http://www.squadpage.com/pandora/Professor%20RedBeard450%20How-To%20AP%20Mod.pdf

I did it on my crf450r. That bog is 100% gone on my bike now and I have perfect throttle response after doing this mod and it doesnt cost a thing.

flyboy1294
12-16-2010, 05:06 PM
awesome man, glad to hear it! Im sure your pretty good at changing the jets in that sucker by now so im sure you will get it all tuned in right lol. That low end bog (bog when you jam the throttle open) is an fcr problem thats cause by the AP. If you ever get bored and wanna fix it give this a try... http://www.squadpage.com/pandora/Professor%20RedBeard450%20How-To%20AP%20Mod.pdf

I did it on my crf450r. That bog is 100% gone on my bike now and I have perfect throttle response after doing this mod and it doesnt cost a thing.

Awesome, I'll give it a shot once it's dialed in. It appears to be simple enough.

This carb has one of those external fuel screws that you can adjust by hand, and I am having trouble figuring the damn thing out. But I'm making progress. It's only a matter of time.

Again, thanks. I can't express my gratitude enough.

IMSROLL450R
12-17-2010, 09:25 AM
Great to hear man!!!! Can't believe that's what it was i'd have never figured that out.

flyboy1294
01-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Hey guys,

I know it seems like I've had far too many headaches out of this, but I got the chance to start it up again and it's backfiring and cutting out again.

Which brings me to a question:

What does detonation sounds like? For instance, what does not using high enough octane create? It's backfiring with identical jetting that worked fine the other day. So I'm wondering if the octane has depleted some in the gas I was using.

I do have 12.5:1 compression. But I was running a stage 3 Hotcam, and I was under the impression that it made the dynamic compression low enough to where I could get away with 93 octane.

If this isn't the right direction I'm just going to sell the carb. I listed it as a feel and within 2 hours I had two people interested. I'd like to get it running, even if I have to use the stocker again. :chinese:

flyboy1294
01-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Anyone on detonation?

rubbersdown
01-03-2011, 05:16 PM
detonation sounds almost like a metal pinging (to me anyway). Like your bouncing a screwdriver handle off a pole. Some people refer to it as rocks in a shoebox to. Problem is Sometimes it can be quiet sometimes it can be loud. You can sometimes tell by looking at the plug if its detonating or not. Or if you happen to have a bore scope you can def tell by the top of the piston.

flyboy1294
01-03-2011, 08:16 PM
That's not the issue then. This is a no-go.

I'm going to try a stock carb and report back. It'll probably be a week or two.