PDA

View Full Version : Honda dies out

QuadRacer041
11-24-2010, 12:11 PM
I have a 250ex that I use to ride around while my daugther rides her quad. The past 2 times I have taken it out it stalls out if ride to fast down a bumpy section of trail. I can feel it start to sputter then it stalls. When i try to start it, it will kick over and as soon as I touch the throttle it dies out. I just have to keep trying to start it, then after about 5-10 minutes it will restart and be fine as long as I dont go blazin down a bumpy trail too fast. Both times this happened I had been riding the quad for a decent amount of time and it ran fine until that point. I would think it is a carb problem but what?

madsmokey12
11-24-2010, 03:09 PM
sounds like a Carb problem to me

fearlessfred
11-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by QuadRacer041
I have a 250ex that I use to ride around while my daugther rides her quad. The past 2 times I have taken it out it stalls out if ride to fast down a bumpy section of trail. I can feel it start to sputter then it stalls. When i try to start it, it will kick over and as soon as I touch the throttle it dies out. I just have to keep trying to start it, then after about 5-10 minutes it will restart and be fine as long as I dont go blazin down a bumpy trail too fast. Both times this happened I had been riding the quad for a decent amount of time and it ran fine until that point. I would think it is a carb problem but what? when i dies shut your fuel off and then drain fuel bowl to see if its full of gas if there is very little or no gas than u have a fuel delivery prob. pull fuel line and make sure gas flows freely. if it flows freely than its time to ck. the needle and seat in the carb to make sure they are not sticking or clogged.

wilkin250r
11-25-2010, 08:54 AM
It sounds like one of two problem, the first is suggested by fred, a fuel delivery problem.

Your carburetor has a bowl on the bottom that fills up with gas. Your quad will actually run for several minutes after you shut off the fuel, because it will be using the fuel sitting in the carburetor.

What is sounds like to me is that the fuel isn't flowing fast enough from your tank into your carburetor. It's not a problem when you're going slow, because you're not using much fuel. But when you go fast, you're using the fuel faster than it's coming in, which eventually drains the carb bowl.

The second possibility is a small amount of water in your fuel that causes problems when you go on bumpy roads and it gets mixed in. But it sounds more like the first problem, because otherwise you'd see problems on ANY bumpy road, whether you're going 40mph or 10mph.

QuadRacer041
11-25-2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the input, i will check those things out. But why would it be so hard to start after it dies? Its not like it's just a minute or so where the bowl has to fill up again, it takes a good 5-10 minutes to get restarted.

madsmokey12
11-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the input, i will check those things out. But why would it be so hard to start after it dies? Its not like it's just a minute or so where the bowl has to fill up again, it takes a good 5-10 minutes to get restarted.

there might be water in your Fuel it's Very Common. im not sure if your bike sit's alot but if it does . the hot and cold Weather makes your Tank Sweat there for you get water in your gas

fearlessfred
11-25-2010, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the input, i will check those things out. But why would it be so hard to start after it dies? Its not like it's just a minute or so where the bowl has to fill up again, it takes a good 5-10 minutes to get restarted. try doing what i said in a diff. order. pull the fuel line off first and make sure that the gas is flowing freely.

wilkin250r
11-26-2010, 08:55 AM

Because, if you are using fuel faster than it's coming in, then it's not coming in very fast at all.

The carb bowl only holds about 1/3 cup or so, which is actually enough to run your quad for several minutes even at wide open throttle. So if it takes several minutes for your quad to use up 1/3 cup of fuel, and your petcock is flowing SLOWER than that, then obviously it's going to take several minutes to fill up.

wilkin250r
11-26-2010, 09:29 AM
Now, this is still just a shot in the dark, it might not be a fuel delivery problem at all, or water in the tank. It might be a goofy electrical problem that only shows up when some component gets hot (and once it sits for several minutes and cools down, it goes away).

But let's go through the easy and likely scenarios first.

QuadRacer041
11-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Well fuel from the line flowed freely. I took the tank off, drained the fuel blow out the fuel valve, took the carb off, stripped in down and cleaned it out. Put her all back together and she runs good up and down the road but ill have to ride it over the weekend on the trails and see if its fixed over bumps. Thanks for all the help, let u know on Monday how it is.

QuadRacer041
12-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Forgot to post last week. Took the quad out in the trails and it seems to be fine, thanks for all the help guys.