PDA

View Full Version : Heated grips?

CHAR250R
11-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Anybody running heated grips on their ATV? Thinking about putting a set on my Grizzly for the winter. I'd like to know your thoughts on them.....

usp4u
11-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by CHAR250R
I'd like to know your thoughts on them.....

They go inside the bar. They make the grips warm. Glad I could help.

CHAR250R
11-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by usp4u
They go inside the bar. They make the grips warm. Glad I could help.

Are you an engineer? or just a wise a s s?

usp4u
11-24-2010, 07:57 PM
I can be an engineer, a wise guy and everything in between......if you got the cash.

seriouslly, what do you want to know about them ?
-they're electrical: water/corrosion ruins them over time
-the palm of my hand being cold has never stopped me
-the outsides/top of my hands being cold has
-big hand gaurds help bigtime, the wind is the killer
-snowmobile "mitts" are the real answer
-if its SUPER cold, mitts & grip heaters are sweet

quad2xtreme
11-24-2010, 08:43 PM
It makes a huge difference in keeping yourself warm. My wife and I ride year round and often in the mountains of WV and Kentucky when the mountains are icy.

I run the type that is just a thin membrane that goes over the bar then your favorite grips mount on top of them. I don't bother with the high/low setting...I just opt for on/off instead. If you need heat then you will want full heat...otherwise, you really don't need it. I use power coming of the keyswitch instead of direct wiring to battery where you could risk leaving them on and draining the battery.

It is key to get the wire leads secured to the bar after they come out of the membrane. The only issue I've ever had is the wiring separating. I learned quickly so it hasn't been an issue. I've had a set of the heater membranes last for 4+ years.

We have them on 3 of the 4 quads. My mx quad doesn't have them. Honestly, I can't imagine riding without them. They do a great job keeping your gloves dry too.

Two thumbs up and highly recommend them.

We tried HotGrips (several styles) and didn't like them. They were always too hard and caused blisters. Even with Oury grips, the heater membrane works.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Get windproof gloves that are still thin like regular riding gloves. Moose makes my favorites. The ARC from Rocky Mountain are pretty good too but you have to be careful when you pull your fingers out so you don't pull the liner out of each finger. Real pain to get them back in.

usp4a is correct that handguards help alot. I don't like the "mitts" because I like to see the controls, etc. But, they do work.

witech
11-24-2010, 08:53 PM
I ran heated grips for one year. Turns out a good pair of gloves worked better. Personal favorites for the last 15 years have been coldwave. They could be wringing wet and still keep your hands warm . Good to well below zero but I dont ride colder than that any more .