PDA

View Full Version : lonestar a-arms +2+1 advice

ehorst33
11-24-2010, 08:16 AM
hey i currently have lonestar a-arms +2+1 and moog balljoints with 86 spindles. I have it set up and it just doesnt look right. The top a-arms look to close to the bottom. The tie rods don't rub or touch but I want it to be exactly how it should be. I was reading that it could be bc of the moog balljoints. If so, could I just replace the top two balljoints with lonestars, would that do the job? And does any possibly have two lonstar balljoints??? Let me know what you guys think......

Honda 250r 001
11-24-2010, 08:21 AM
we need pictures of what your taking about. Unless the pin on the ball joint is too short, i dont think what your talking about would have any effect.

ehorst33
11-24-2010, 08:27 AM
pic

ehorst33
11-24-2010, 08:28 AM
sorry about the size but if you look close look at the right side compared to the left, the a-arms are closer to each other..

4x4 AG
11-24-2010, 09:03 AM
it does look odd. it is hard to tell with the small pic, but is one of the arms bent?

C41Xracer
11-24-2010, 10:10 AM
one of the a arms might be upside down. need a close up of both sides

ehorst33
11-24-2010, 11:57 AM
I dont think they arent bent or upside down( i have looked into both of those suggestions). They do have diifferent balljoints, but I didnt think it would cause that much of a difference. I will look again tongiht to make sure they are on right and are straight. I will try to get better pic or atleast a little larger..

ehorst33
11-24-2010, 12:14 PM

sameltoe
11-24-2010, 02:52 PM
From the pic to me it looks like the frame is bent?...maybe the upper a-arm also.
jmo, Sam

MANIAK 88R
11-24-2010, 03:05 PM
I'd say left side arm is twisted at the ball joint. The angle of the ball joint on the left side is much greater than the right side. The type of ball joint shouldn't matter. If one was taller or shorter than the other, it would only be a minimul amount. Your situation is much more than what I would call minimul.

I would remove both upper arms. Lay them upside down at the edge of a flat surface with the ball joints hanging over. I think you will find that one of your arms is tisted at the ball joint.

PaRedneckRiders
11-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by MANIAK 88R
I'd say left side arm is twisted at the ball joint. The angle of the ball joint on the left side is much greater than the right side. The type of ball joint shouldn't matter. If one was taller or shorter than the other, it would only be a minimul amount. Your situation is much more than what I would call minimul.

I would remove both upper arms. Lay them upside down at the edge of a flat surface with the ball joints hanging over. I think you will find that one of your arms is tisted at the ball joint.
Yep thats what it looks like to me, because it seems like it goes down at a much steeper angle then levels out really quick.
Im betting that the arm twisted by the ball joint.

DnB_racing
11-24-2010, 08:36 PM
its hard to tell from pics but are both spindles the same?

Power Junkey
11-26-2010, 06:41 PM
I think you have a bent spindle. I had this problem w/ my leager a-arms a few years back .

MANIAK 88R
11-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Power Junkey
I think you have a bent spindle. I had this problem w/ my leager a-arms a few years back .

I could understand if it was bent 1/2" or something but the left side upper arm is about 2 1/2" lower than the right side.

If you study the large pic very well, you'll notice that the attitude of the front calipers match, lower arms match, upper spindle mounts seem to be even, and the frame mounting points all seem to be the same. The only oddity is the left side upper arm, which leads me back to thinking it is bent.

PaRedneckRiders
11-26-2010, 07:05 PM
Also why is the right side ball joint out so much farther than the left (if your looking at it from the front)

MANIAK 88R
11-26-2010, 07:08 PM
I just thought of something, These arms, Are they new to the machine? Are they new to the owner? Why was the ball joint changed?

If they are new to the owner it is possible that the previous owner damaged one arm and replaced with another brand of arm. Unlikely but possible. There are several manufacturers who's parts are really similar.

Sitting next to each other, my lonestar +2's and my fireball +2's look identicle but they have the ball joint bung mounted at different angles. If miss matched, they would produce a similar situation as this bike.

If these arms have been on this bike and used to match, why did the ball joint have to get changed? A collision, or possibly hard landing or flip? All could have damaged the arm.

Becareless06
11-27-2010, 07:16 AM
not to be nibby but i have the exact same arms on my r and cant find replace ment ball joints anywhere or the part numbers for them only place ive found them is lonestar for like 130.00
and i hate to spend that much on ball joints..

JoePA
11-27-2010, 07:38 AM
A couple of things. Did you just bolt them on and not make any adjustments? Were there stock arms and spindles on before these?

I can see that one ball joint is really messing things up so you need to have the same, proper, balljoint on the arms. As mentione remove the arms and make sure they aren't bent. ALSO. make sure the rod ends are the same. On the upper arms run the forward joint allt he way in or to the point where it is straight up and down. On the rear rod end turn that all the way in then count two turns out. Do both upper arms liek that.

As far as the spindles. Did they come directly off a working quad? Were they disassembled? Make sure both are the same and nothing is bent or installed incorrectly.

You are going to need to get two of the same ball joint for the upper arms. Take some measurements and start making calls to some of the arm manufactures. I know I've seen them on the net and I'll do some searching.

Dave83
11-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Moog 2074R is what LSR used to use before they went with the ones they have now.Tie rod ends from a Ford Courier pickup.Moog will run yoiu about 20 ea at oreillys or you can the store brand for less than 15/ea

Dave83
11-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Horst,just for the hell of it,take the left aarm and flip it around.I think you have it upside down.Also make sure the caster adjustments are the same on both sides.

Dave83
11-28-2010, 09:00 PM
Just went out and looked at mine,I def think you have that one upside down.They both angle downward on mine which isnt that noticeable until you really look but would be really noticeable(like yours) if it was reversed.Try swapping it around,I think it will fix your problem.

MANIAK 88R
11-28-2010, 11:42 PM
If these are +2+1's, the arms are not centered. If one was upside down, there would also be a 2" difference in the castor. The pic doesn't look like the castor is that different. However the tie rod is hard to see on that side so I guess that is possible.

Hey, Horst, were all trying to help you here, Give us some closure. What did you find?

trx250racer
11-29-2010, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by ehorst33

IN THEORY IF YOU THREADED THAT BALL JOINT ALL THE WAY, SAME AS THE OTHER SIDE IS, IT WOULD PULL THE A-ARM UP. ONCE YOU DO THAT IT WOULD PULL THE CAMBER ON THAT WHEEL WAY IN.. SO I AM GUESSING YOU HAVE A BENT SPINDLE!!! JMO

ehorst33
11-29-2010, 06:34 AM
hey guys,, sorry i was out of town for the holidays. I bought these used and my old were stock a arms and spindles. THe spindles did come of a working quad and didnt have any issue before. I am going to work on it tongiht and printed off your guys suggestions and going to look at all aspects. THanks for the input. I have not had the quad running since I put these on so very well could be anything. I am going to the auto shop after work and grabbing another balljoint so they atleast all match but would like to have lonestars originals at some point.

ehorst33
11-29-2010, 06:38 AM
as far as the camper the reason the one balljoint look ajusted further out it is actually all the way in. It looks like that bc the balljoints are so different, thats kinda why I wondered if that would cause that much of an issue.

ehorst33
11-29-2010, 06:44 AM
and as far as them being upside down, i could be wrong but it would stick out quiet a bit if they were bc they are +2+1, the +1 would really be noticeable if they were upsidedown if you get wat i am saying