PDA

View Full Version : crf450 ignition conversion

ryan2121
11-23-2010, 04:11 PM
I am looking into putting a crf ignition in my 05 450r. Is there a certain year crf parts to use? I found a good deal on some 2003 crf 450 parts will this work? Thanks for any information.

JH Racing
11-23-2010, 07:27 PM
Any year parts will work it does require machine work on the stator cover,flywheel and an adaptor plate for the stator. I like the 04-up stuff bc it gives you the opp to use a 250F box

ryan2121
11-23-2010, 08:31 PM
What is the difference using the 250f box? I havent heard that before

JH Racing
11-24-2010, 08:12 AM
The box has a better curve and pulls alittle harder but you have to watch hitting the rev limiter bc it is at 13,500 ish

Scro
11-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Does the CRF ignition effect how fast the quad starts? I'm thinking dead-engine XC starts.

blacknblue#2
11-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Scro
Does the CRF ignition effect how fast the quad starts? I'm thinking dead-engine XC starts.

The CRF ignition gives you the benefit of running a lighter flywheel equaling a faster rev. Keep in mind with the lighter flywheeler your going to stall alot easier which is prolly something you want to stay away from on an XC quad. From what ive noticed mostly MX guys run it for the faster acceleration out of turns and it eliminates most of your unneeded wiring.. Never really given a thought to starting. Im not sure if it would allow it to start any quicker or not.

JH Racing
11-25-2010, 06:28 PM
I have only done them on MX bikes due to the reduced flywheel weight I do not remember exactly it has been a while but I think after we finish the machine work the flywheel is 10ish ounces lighter than the trx. The mx bikes start fine but I would not recommend for XC

D Bergstrom
11-25-2010, 09:17 PM
What are the different shops that are doing the machine work? Any of them sell this as a complete kit? (Stator, flywheel, wiring, etc.) Just to make it a plug and play thing. I know Trail Tech used to years ago, but it has been off their site for a while. I have an extra left cover laying around. I currently run a lighter flywheel on both my 450R's and like the results, would like to try the CRF setup on one of them.

Doug

eastside 400
11-26-2010, 03:47 PM
i know baldwin does them, dasa does. Try calling toby at Moto-Xperts, not sure if he does it as well. The trailtech kits were trash IMO, i saw one of them and all the wiring was butt connector splices. If you dont care about using a fan then just use the regular crf harness and just put your teather into the kill button spot

JH Racing
11-26-2010, 03:53 PM
I know Dasa,Sparks,myself all offer kits I do not know if Baldwin does anymore or if sparks will do the machine work without supplying all the parts.