PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a 250r

PaRedneckRiders
11-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Well, im thinking about getting a 250r.
Not right now, but my 426 is almost done i just always liked the 250rs.

Id like to set one up for the MX track mayb find one in my area that is blown up so i can rebuild it all the way i want it.

I would be new to the R world, ive owned many 2 strokes before so i know a good but about them just have never owned an R.

Anything i should look out for, i know that the 86,87 has a tendency to get cracks at the bottom of the cylinder if your running alot of comp or alot of HP right?

Just need some general info, Not sure on what my budget would be.
If i would sell my 400 it would be alot more than it i would build one without selling it.

I know lots of R parts are hard to come by now a days and alot of things are expensive, But just give me a rundown of if you think i should try and join the R world.

DnB_racing
11-23-2010, 04:46 PM
you should definitely get one !! I love my 450r but the 250 is so lite and easy in the woods, as far as parts they are cheaper than you think, stock parts are more expensive to ship then to buy!! and as far as adding more power if I spend 1000 on my 250 Ive got a big gain, I spend that much on upkeep on my 450 every winter, right now you can get a good 250 for under 2000

some things to lookout for are case saver mounts are usually broke,stripped drain plug, stripped shift lever and kick spline, make sure there are no cracks in the left case from broken chain hitting the area under the clutch linkage look for oil leaks,the usual things for any quad basically,and dont froget that these are 24 years old so check for stress on frame and mounts

PaRedneckRiders
11-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Ok, do you think i stock frame would hold up to pretty much just MX riding i dont mean Like racing (although i may run it at a couple local races) I just mean Ripping around on tracks
It would get trail ridden but not a lot

wild250rman
11-23-2010, 06:19 PM
AS LONG AS YOU HAVE GOOD SUSPENSION SET UP FOR YOU AND YOUR RIDING ABILITY IT WILL BE FINE AND AS LONG AS THE FRAME IS IN GOOD CONDITION ALSO.

PaRedneckRiders
11-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by wild250rman
AS LONG AS YOU HAVE GOOD SUSPENSION SET UP FOR YOU AND YOUR RIDING ABILITY IT WILL BE FINE AND AS LONG AS THE FRAME IS IN GOOD CONDITION ALSO.
Ya i plan on doing alot of suspension work with a mild motor.

I would want LT for sure, but what would be a good LT setup?

wild250rman
11-23-2010, 06:50 PM
HOUSER, ROLL DESIGN, JD PERFORMANCE,GIBSON THERE ARE SEVERAL GOOD ONES. A LOT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SPEND. ONE THING TO REMEMBER THE BETTER CONDITION THE QUAD IS YOU BUY THE LESS HARD TO FIND PARTS TO LOCATE AND THE STOCK OR UNWANTED ITEMS CAN BE SOLD TO RECOUP SOME MONEY FOR NEW PARTS. IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO SELL YOUR 400 KEEP IT TO RIDE ESPECIALLY WHILE YOU ARE DOING YOUR BUILD SO YOU WILL TAKE YOUR TIME AT IT.

PaRedneckRiders
11-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Ya i was thinking either Laeger or Roll Design.
Ok im getting to far ahead of myself anyway It would prob be after this winter mayb sometime next summer i would get one, ive just been looking around alot lately for one.

wild250rman
11-23-2010, 07:06 PM
sorry i didnt mention leager i have always run them with good luck. duncan racing has an older style roll design arm +2 for 86-87 and 88-89 for like 495.00. keep your eyes open once in a while members on here put good deals on complete front ends. will you run mx or gncc or just trail play ride?

PaRedneckRiders
11-23-2010, 07:26 PM
I plan on running mostly MX like not racing, just playing on some local tracks but i may race there i couple times

Ive got 2 tracks within 30mins of me
1 is like 5mins from my house but i have never road there lol (It pleasure Valley Raceway In Armagh, Pa) Then there is Pittsburgh Raceway Park, In new Alexandria, Then Breezewood Proving grounds is only a little over an hour from me.

wild250rman
11-23-2010, 07:38 PM
you are only a couple of hours from me. pyramid race way is close to me it just re-opened. shane hitt, justin gandy harold goodman and several other pros use to race and practice their and some of the huevos grande films were filmed there. definatly a lot of good riding in the try state area PA. WV. and OH. you ever go to high point for quads or bikes? or steel city?

PaRedneckRiders
11-24-2010, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by wild250rman
you are only a couple of hours from me. pyramid race way is close to me it just re-opened. shane hitt, justin gandy harold goodman and several other pros use to race and practice their and some of the huevos grande films were filmed there. definatly a lot of good riding in the try state area PA. WV. and OH. you ever go to high point for quads or bikes? or steel city?
Know never went but my Buddy raced last year at steel city, I think he was 250c on a kx250