PDA

View Full Version : Rear End Width?

trailrider894
11-23-2010, 10:40 AM
Okay, I have a +4 Axle, but i am looking to squeeze a bit more out of my rear end width? how can i do this?

CJM
11-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Other than offset wheels, not a whole lot.

I dont like spacers, everyone has an opinion on them but I dislike them b/c they stress everything.

If you dont already you should widen the front a bit to match the back so its more stable.

powermadd400ex
11-23-2010, 01:55 PM
^Agreed. +4 is plenty wide enough. A +2 front end will get the stability you're looking for.

grassman
11-23-2010, 02:35 PM
I just got some +2 hubs from g-force off e-bay for about $90 and love them. This is a better set-up than spacers imo...

SpasticR450
11-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Other than offset wheels, not a whole lot.

I dont like spacers, everyone has an opinion on them but I dislike them b/c they stress everything.

If you dont already you should widen the front a bit to match the back so its more stable.

Just so you no rim offset to make wider and spacers work the same as for handling and stress.

Always want the front a little wider than the rear other wise your front might clear somthing but your rear will clip it.

I used CRJ spacers nothing can break or bend them. Buying a longer hub wont be any better longer hub or spacer the axles still going to snap off right at the hub been there done that.

powermadd400ex
11-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by SpasticR450

I used CRJ spacers nothing can break or bend them. Buying a longer hub wont be any better longer hub or spacer the axles still going to snap off right at the hub been there done that.

I lol'ed. If wider axles are being snapped and bent(yes i've bent my stock axle) what makes you think something less reliable such as wheel spacers wont bend/break. The spacers might not snap or bend, but the stress on the lugs will cause damage.

If you want a reliable wide rear end, buy a wider axle and be done with it.

SpasticR450
11-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by powermadd400ex
I lol'ed. If wider axles are being snapped and bent(yes i've bent my stock axle) what makes you think something less reliable such as wheel spacers wont bend/break. The spacers might not snap or bend, but the stress on the lugs will cause damage.

If you want a reliable wide rear end, buy a wider axle and be done with it.

He said he already has a +4 and wanted longer only way to have longer is custom made. I broke LSR and stock axle with small spacers on and both broke right at the hub. Spacers solid steel. Never bent just broke but CRJ spacers bullet proof.

powermadd400ex
11-23-2010, 06:49 PM
I'll try my best to understand that post. But from what i understand, you had spacers on an LSR and stock axle. And both broke at the hub....What does that tell you about spacers? It puts stress on other parts of the quad!

slightlybent47
11-23-2010, 06:53 PM
You need to read this: http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=300433
Pushing the center of the front tire out from the ball joint will make more bump steer, that’s why we use +2 a arms instead. It keeps the geometry closer to where it’s supposed to be. Take that $90.00 you spent on extended hubs and put that towards a set of used +2 a arms. There nothing wrong with used parts, as long as there in good shape.

SpasticR450
11-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by powermadd400ex
I'll try my best to understand that post. But from what i understand, you had spacers on an LSR and stock axle. And both broke at the hub....What does that tell you about spacers? It puts stress on other parts of the quad!

Yep they do. Thats why they berak at the hub while not using spacers the axle breaks most times by the swing arm. But some one wanting wider that a Longer axle can give CRJ is the way to go if you dont want to worry about breaking a spacer and at a good price $65 a chrome set i think. The studs are WAY stronger than the factory hub studs to.

SpasticR450
11-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
You need to read this: http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=300433
Pushing the center of the front tire out from the ball joint will make more bump steer, that’s why we use +2 a arms instead. It keeps the geometry closer to where it’s supposed to be. Take that $90.00 you spent on extended hubs and put that towards a set of used +2 a arms. There nothing wrong with used parts, as long as there in good shape.

How many ball joints are on the rear of a straight axle quad? lol. Spacers on the rear 100% help performance especially if your fronts also wide as the rear with out spacers that is spacers on front is bad for handling but I done it before. Its good handling in the rear for cheep but if you ride hard your only going to handle good for so long before a rear tire flys past you.

grassman
11-23-2010, 07:40 PM

Take that $90.00 you spent on extended hubs and put that towards a set of used +2 a arms. [/B] I have +2 a arms, I was saying I got the extended hubs for the rear. I was telling trailrider I thought they would work better than spacers...

slightlybent47
11-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Ok I miss understood, I thought he wanted to widen the front as well.

SpasticR450
11-23-2010, 08:17 PM
Ok I miss understood, I thought he wanted to widen the front as well.

Lol i know

trailrider894
11-23-2010, 09:46 PM
To Clarify i have +2 A-arms and 3:2 offset rims... SO... I am right at 50in at the front. Was more off a off the wall question than something i am seriously considering.

CJM
11-23-2010, 09:59 PM
You do realize those crappy spacers add more stress b/c you use longer lug studs and thus put more stress on them. An offset wheel doesnt do this b/c the stud isnt longer and prone to snapping.

I come from the world of 4wd trucks. Only idiots run spacers, the reason is stuff breaks much easier.

SpasticR450
11-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by CJM
You do realize those crappy spacers add more stress b/c you use longer lug studs and thus put more stress on them. An offset wheel doesnt do this b/c the stud isnt longer and prone to snapping.

I come from the world of 4wd trucks. Only idiots run spacers, the reason is stuff breaks much easier.

Well now that's why I run 49.75 LT wide with out spacers.

And studs bent on me with out spacers all the time in the rear. With the spacers the stock studs could not bent and the spacer studs never bent. And not talking about studs now, spacers and rim off set both act the same for stress on parts. The only diff between off set rims and spacers is with off set rims you dont have the added weight of the spacers.

CJM
11-23-2010, 10:37 PM
you have an answer for everything dont you...

Its not worth my time to argue, all I have to say is I have never seen someone break, bend or ruin a stud unless the quad was beat the crap out of by someone who didnt know wtf they were doing.

trailrider894
11-23-2010, 10:54 PM
Well my one experience with spacers that i ran on my quad was bad... One ended up slitting and cracking while it was on the quad... Destroy some stuff. Its terrible on parts...

CJM
11-24-2010, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Well my one experience with spacers that i ran on my quad was bad... One ended up slitting and cracking while it was on the quad... Destroy some stuff. Its terrible on parts...

point, case, match.

trailrider894
11-24-2010, 09:23 AM
Well can i ask what the best setup is for MX? like Wheel offset, tire, and wheel size? 8x8 or 9x9?

CJM
11-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Well can i ask what the best setup is for MX? like Wheel offset, tire, and wheel size? 8x8 or 9x9?

My quad was on its way for being setup for MX when I got it. It already had the adjustable g-force axle and 8" douglass beadlocks with 18" turf tamers.

Width and small tires are best for MX, this way you can corner well and stay on the ground. Smaller tires offer faster acceleration along with a gear change might help a bit.

Bout all I know about mx.

RATPACK Z400
11-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Best thing you can do is get new axle! anything on axle will bend or break easy,wheels or spacers/hubs they all do the same amount of stress in the same area. stock axle cant handle the stress of mx.unless you land perfect everytime and thats not going to happen race after race.

slightlybent47
11-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by CJM
My quad was on its way for being setup for MX when I got it. It already had the adjustable g-force axle and 8" douglass beadlocks with 18" turf tamers.

Width and small tires are best for MX, this way you can corner well and stay on the ground. Smaller tires offer faster acceleration along with a gear change might help a bit.

Bout all I know about mx.

You have most of that right. Running smaller tires does several things, not all are a good thing for mx but you have to make trade off’s.

Smaller tires will help in cornering because it lowers your center of gravity and that helps. “But” smaller tires will also make the bumps rougher then bigger tires, because a bigger tire will roll easer and also it will roll over bumps easer.

Smaller tires will change the gear ratio so a sprocket change will be necessary. Also smaller tires will lower your ground clearance and that can hurt you in deep ruts or sand and mud. Also a wider axel will require more HP to turn the mass that’s farther out from the drive train.
Also bigger tires are heaver then a smaller tire so it takes more HP to turn them. That’s why we run 2 or 4 ply tires because there lighter and take less HP to turn them. Also we don’t need the tougher tire in mx like you do running so cross country or free ridding.

Tires are one of the most important parts of the quad but is often overlooked or put aside for other things. All the power in the world can’t help you if you can’t get it to the ground.

I hope that helps clear it up for you.

trailrider894
11-24-2010, 10:23 AM
You have most of that right. Running smaller tires does several things, not all are a good thing for mx but you have to make trade off’s.

Smaller tires will help in cornering because it lowers your center of gravity and that helps. “But” smaller tires will also make the bumps rougher then bigger tires, because a bigger tire will roll easer and also it will roll over bumps easer.

Smaller tires will change the gear ratio so a sprocket change will be necessary. Also smaller tires will lower your ground clearance and that can hurt you in deep ruts or sand and mud. Also a wider axel will require more HP to turn the mass that’s farther out from the drive train.
Also bigger tires are heaver then a smaller tire so it takes more HP to turn them. That’s why we run 2 or 4 ply tires because there lighter and take less HP to turn them. Also we don’t need the tougher tire in mx like you do running so cross country or free ridding.

Tires are one of the most important parts of the quad but is often overlooked or put aside for other things. All the power in the world can’t help you if you can’t get it to the ground.

I hope that helps clear it up for you.

Okay, now if it were your quad what exactly would you run? especially tires?

slightlybent47
11-24-2010, 10:32 AM
I run hole shot mxr6, 18” on rear and 20” on the front. But sometimes when the conditions call for it I switch to a 20” rear and a 22” on the front. But like I said I made trade off’s depending on witch tire I run. Bear in mind that the deference between an 18” tire and a 20” is minimal but it’s there.

slightlybent47
11-24-2010, 10:37 AM
I’m going to try the Hoosier mx 100 for hard pack tracks but my sponsor hasn’t shipped them to me yet. Also Razzer makes good mx tires but I haven’t tried them yet but everybody seems to like them.

SpasticR450
11-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by CJM
point, case, match.

One prob. He didn't say the name brand. Now look up CRJ. Wont find a single post of them breaking. Cause they cant! Thats just talking spacers as in what is junk and is not other than that im totaly against running spacers anyways.

trailrider894
11-24-2010, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by SpasticR450
One prob. He didn't say the name brand. Now look up CRJ. Wont find a single post of them breaking. Cause they cant! Thats just talking spacers as in what is junk and is not other than that im totaly against running spacers anyways.

A little late to state that.... ha ha If you were so " against running spacers " then why in the world where you defending them? lol Spacers are a cheap alternative to the real thing... ITS JUST THE WAY IT IS.

SpasticR450
11-25-2010, 01:06 AM
A little late to state that.... ha ha If you were so " against running spacers " then why in the world where you defending them? lol Spacers are a cheap alternative to the real thing... ITS JUST THE WAY IT IS.

Because spacers on the rear are 100% fine other than stress. On the front they don't only cause stress but make stearing worse. It's just people say stuff about don't trust spacers they will break or what not and they do but CRJ will not just defending the name brand.