PDA

View Full Version : Carb Cleaner Fuel Additive

ballzdeep38
11-23-2010, 09:08 AM
ok so my R has been sitting for a little over a year. it has been started periodically through out that time and run on the street but thats it. everytime i am finished running it for the day i always shut the fuel off and ran all the gas out of the bowl to try and keep the carb from gumming up. a few months back i drained the gas out of it and it currently has an empty tank. I did the same on my girlfriends 300ex.

now my question. I mixed up 5 gallons of straight gas with a carb cleaning fuel additive (mainly for her bike). I thought it might be good to run it through mine as well to clean up the carb a little. so is it ok to run it in my R? i normally mix my fuel at 36:1 or 40:1. I assume the additive will affect my ratio. should i ad more oil like at 32:1? or can i still run it at 36:1 and be ok? has anyone else done this?

C-LEIGH RACING
11-23-2010, 09:51 AM
What has the additive got in it, made up of.

Probably only thing you'll see is some cleaning agents, if any at all & if it is a high quality additive, it may up the octane some, not much but some, so probably only thing you need to think about is that you mix the proper amount of oil per gallon of gas.

Additives sometimes do nothing when mixed with gas or used mix in to try & clean the fuel system. For them to have very much affect, it would take lots of the chemical sitting as a soak to remove anything.

Stale gas turns gummy & in the end stops up jets & passage ways in the carb body & only when the carb is pulled apart & cleaned is when any good can be done.
Mixing those strong chemicals in with the gas can sometimes do more damage than cleaning.

What your thinking though, those over the counter products, probably wont be strong enough to hurt anything.
Neil

973trx250r87
11-24-2010, 05:55 PM
just my 2 cents thats a lil rich that just me though