11-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Bow, rifle, shotty or muzzle?

Nice rack!

Pappy
11-23-2010, 09:03 AM
Rifle

CJM
11-23-2010, 09:46 AM
I like rifles the best myself, got an older savage 30-06 that hasnt failed me yet and it was CHEAP and is more accurate than my dads $$$ ruger.

Pappy
11-23-2010, 10:09 AM
I prefer my bow....but I couldnt get this one in range early in the season.

CJM
11-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
I prefer my bow....but I couldnt get this one in range early in the season.

I tried bow some years back and just cant enjoy it as much. The fact that you could miss, get a bad shot or it just run off annoys me.

Ive done rifle, shotgun and muzzle loader and I actually like muzzle loader alot but rifles my all time fav.

Course hunting on my land in PA has become horrible, Im not quite sure wtfs going on but there are no deer-I can sit out all day and maybe see 1 or 2 does. I think introducing coyotes was a bad idea. Thats part of the reason Im not going this year, dont have the time due to school and I rather not waste my time sitting there freezing my arse off. I havent been successful in about 5 years now-thank god I scored some nice ones before that.

Pappy
11-23-2010, 11:04 AM
You pretty much summed up why I like bow hunting...it is a challenge to harvest a nice buck with a bow. Killing deer with a gun is almost to easy. I still enjoy rifle hunting, but being so close with a bow and making it count...thats where its at!

450rdr424
11-23-2010, 11:20 AM
I am with you on the bow hunting pappy, nice buck by the way

ridgeracer
11-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
You people and your counting, totalling both sides. :rolleyes:

That's a 4-pointer in these parts... :blah:
Agreed.

You pretty much summed up why I like bow hunting...it is a challenge to harvest a nice buck with a bow. Killing deer with a gun is almost to easy. I still enjoy rifle hunting, but being so close with a bow and making it count...thats where its at!
I like black powder myself for this reason but I haven't been bow hunting yet. Gotta get a good bow. :ermm:

tayyo789
11-23-2010, 01:57 PM
IMO the only thing better than bow hunting is riding.
This year I was less than 10 yards from a 350 class elk, bugling and drooling all over. I was shaking like a dog passing a peach seed

3400ben
11-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Did you hit him in the hip or is that burrs?

bigd's ex
11-23-2010, 04:41 PM
Nice buck Pap. :macho Needs to cool down some, way to warm

Jigsaw
11-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Congrats, that is a beaut! I perfer bow hunting myself, I got my first buck with a bow at the beggining of the month.

You gonna get it mounted?

Pappy
11-23-2010, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by 3400ben
Did you hit him in the hip or is that burrs?

Just ruffled hair from pulling him out of the ranger. I hit him at the last rib on his right side, quateruing away. bullet went into the left shoulder

Pappy
11-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Jigsaw
Congrats, that is a beaut! I perfer bow hunting myself, I got my first buck with a bow at the beggining of the month.

You gonna get it mounted?

Just a Europeon type skull mount....I will do it myself. Ive got enough hanging on teh wall LOL:D

3400ben
11-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
You people and your counting, totalling both sides. :rolleyes:

That's a 4-pointer in these parts... :blah:
That is weird the differences between areas. You guys there use tooth brush, and I use a teeth brush.

Jigsaw
11-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Just a Europeon type skull mount....I will do it myself. Ive got enough hanging on teh wall LOL:D

Ha nice, I only got one worth a mount, the deer I got this year, which is only a 7pt with a small 15" spread.

Are there any antler restrictions where you hunt ? Here in PA we gotta have a certain amount of pts (3 or 4 depending on area) to a side for it to be legal.

3400ben
11-23-2010, 05:10 PM

Are going to use beetles?

Pappy
11-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Yep

Pappy
11-23-2010, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Jigsaw
Ha nice, I only got one worth a mount, the deer I got this year, which is only a 7pt with a small 15" spread.

Are there any antler restrictions where you hunt ? Here in PA we gotta have a certain amount of pts (3 or 4 depending on area) to a side for it to be legal.

None..but alot of us are fighting to cut the buck limit from 3 to 1 or institute some form of restrictions. There are some nice bucks here but for everyone you see at the checkin station, you see 20 spikes and 4 pointers. They cant grow big sitting in a freezer.

3400ben
11-23-2010, 06:43 PM
None..but alot of us are fighting to cut the buck limit from 3 to 1 or institute some form of restrictions. There are some nice bucks here but for everyone you see at the checkin station, you see 20 spikes and 4 pointers. They cant grow big sitting in a freezer.
Indiana went from 2 bucks to 1 about 10 years ago. Back then 110 inch deer was big and you would see 3 or 4 spikes a day. Now we don't shot anything under 130 inches. I have not seen a spike in 7 years. Last year I shot a 2 1/2 years old with 150 inches on his head. I have seen Pros and cons on point restrictions. I personally am not for them.

Pappy
11-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Id rather see us cut back to 2 bucks....and only 1 during rifle, letting the other buck be with bow or muzzleloader. It would make folks a bit more selective I would think. The concensus is go to a 1 buck period....such as Ohio and KY have done with great success. That is a hard choice, especially when you bow hunt alot.

Heck, even todays muzzleloaders are so far from what we used 20 years ago...its a single shot rifle as accurate to 150 yards as most centerfire rifles on a cold bore shot.....

ben300
11-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Id rather see us cut back to 2 bucks....and only 1 during rifle, letting the other buck be with bow or muzzleloader. It would make folks a bit more selective I would think. The concensus is go to a 1 buck period....such as Ohio and KY have done with great success. That is a hard choice, especially when you bow hunt alot.

Heck, even todays muzzleloaders are so far from what we used 20 years ago...its a single shot rifle as accurate to 150 yards as most centerfire rifles on a cold bore shot.....

smoke pole shooting has really changed in the past since the days of just flint lock..

heck...gunwerks makes a muzzle loader that can be accurate at 500yds....

you have to have a pocket book though that long to be able to afford it:devil:

CJM
11-23-2010, 10:17 PM

Indeed it is a challenge to say the least. Just not my thing I guess.

PA made it asinine. 3 pts one side and such. In theory I could shoot whatever I want cause its private property and I process it out right then and there and never go to a check station. But I wouldnt ever do it lol.

But really they restrictions have yet to yield much anything yet it seems, I think the coyotes are eating them all or the farmers are shooting them out of seasons as crop control.

Pappy
11-24-2010, 06:53 AM
Its funny, many of my friends in PA have told me they are starting to see bigger bucks and a much increased doe harvest which will balance the herd.

PA is alot like WV...everyone wants to see lots of deer and they do...and they shoot teh first spike they see, then "hold" out for a bigger buck, which is usually another spike on the last day.

So much for managment LOL

wvspeedfreak
11-24-2010, 02:15 PM
I just try to fill the freezer.

Great buck by the way.

muddzilla94
11-24-2010, 02:23 PM
nice deer!

Pappy
11-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
I just try to fill the freezer.

Great buck by the way.

You LIE!:devil: :D

CJM
11-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Could just be the area im in Pappy. There is little action in the woods these past few years, so nothing to drive them out much. One hunting club closed down and I hear very few shots.

Course like I said, this is middle of NOWHERE PA so the neighbors could be shooting them out of season with no worries.

3400ben
11-24-2010, 06:30 PM
Its funny, many of my friends in PA have told me they are starting to see bigger bucks and a much increased doe harvest which will balance the herd.

PA is alot like WV...everyone wants to see lots of deer and they do...and they shoot teh first spike they see, then "hold" out for a bigger buck, which is usually another spike on the last day.

So much for managment LOL

People think just because they have a tag They need to fill it.

Pappy
11-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by 3400ben
People think just because they have a tag They need to fill it.

Here, we have to pay for the extra Buck tag before the season starts....so its use it or loose it. I think if they offered it to be usedon a doe or something or held a special 2 day season it would help the young bucks.

Its so bad here, they wont allow the kids to take a buck on youth day! General consensus is that adults will shoot the buck and use teh kid toc heck it in...and they arent far off!! I know guys who have every member of their family check deer in....done it that way for decades. It will take a huge change in our states population before anything really can be done, but it is coming.

Here is one taken in Kanawah County on Monday....

Pappy
11-24-2010, 07:15 PM

3400ben
11-24-2010, 07:39 PM
That is a nice buck. My boy shot his first deer during the youth hunt this year. The neighbor boy shot one that score 148.