PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki LT230S Case Saver

stankepanck
11-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Anyone got an aftermarket one or know where to get one?

stankepanck
11-23-2010, 04:08 PM
anyone?!! :confused:

mikecancu812
11-25-2010, 11:43 PM
All them case savers are junk in my eyes. I put one on and when the chain jumped it hit it and still broke out magneto cover. JB welded the hell out of it and it held. Keep an eye on your swingarm and carrier bearings cause when they get sloppy it throws the chain

stankepanck
11-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Yeah I know first hand about the swingarm bearings. So get this. I haven't had this 230 very long. When i took the swingarm off there were no bearings in the swingarm. Infact there was no place to put bearings from the factory!!!! The pipe looking part of the swingarm (the pivot piece) that the bearings go into wasn't bored out to hold bearings. The bearings are needle type bearings that are supposed to go into it. The swingarm had just the metal pieces that looks like a small piece of pipe in it. No bearings, just metal on metal on metal. All other swingarms that i've seen for these have had a larger bore on the swingarm. I'll try to post some pics up but my brother has the swingarm. He works at a machine shop and they are machining me a whole new pivot piece. One that will hold the bearings. Big pain in the @$$!! Project that shoulda been done on the same night is now 2 weeks in. If ANYONE has ever seen this on ANYTHING please let me know because I am dumfounded by it to say the least!

headache
11-27-2010, 06:30 PM
there would've been needle bearings in the pivot point of the swingarm originally. they just got so wore out that they fell out over the years or i guess just got ground up inside there... the quadsport was notorious for the chain jumping off and busting the left side cover. the best thing to do would be to make a lower chain roller and have it spring loaded to keep tension on the bottom side of the chain. i think that would help alot..

headache
11-27-2010, 06:32 PM
oh and i don't know anywhere to get an aftermarket case saver. fab you one up yourself, or see if you can get someone to make one for you. it would be well worth it. those side covers are expensive!!

mikecancu812
11-28-2010, 09:14 AM
Yeah, the magneto cover was about $80 and that was 12 years ago. I ordered a case saver and when it came in I was pretty dissapointed. A little piece of metal shaped like a moon that bolted into the magneto cover mount holes. Needless to say that when the chain jumped again it just broke the three bolts out of case. Seemed to do more damage than before. Invest in a lot of JB Weld

stankepanck
11-28-2010, 09:38 AM
yea but also the pivot point was not bored large enough for the bearings. it had no bearings in it. no nothing. you know the pipe looking part inside the needle bearing? thats all there was in the pivot point (the pipe looking end of the swingarm) The pipe looking part fits in the bore of the pivot point perfect (needs pressed in) but the bearings are too big for the bore on it. there werre NO BEARINGS from the factoy. i realize this sounds wierd but its true. I am getting a new pivot point made and welded to the swingarm. From the swingarm bolt moving with the swingarm it wore the holes in the frame out so I now have to sleeve and weld the frame to fix it. lots of pains in the @$$ for a cheap quad. I spent $300 on a new case cover and bearings so now im in deep. i will get this thing rippin again!!!! Thanks for the help!