PDA

View Full Version : repacking exhaust

eotrx400ex
11-22-2010, 07:07 PM
i have a curtis sparks system that is WAY to loud. im thinking about repacking and was looking at material on ebay thats Ceramic fiber and an inch thick.I'm new at this so My question is if i double up on it when wrapping with that make it even quieter? any other advice?

quadrider2112
11-23-2010, 08:07 PM
i recommend the fmf 4 stroke packing. The white stuff it kinda like a pillow. It lasts and it will give you that crisp sound.

mxpimp2000
11-26-2010, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by quadrider2112
i recommend the fmf 4 stroke packing. The white stuff it kinda like a pillow. It lasts and it will give you that crisp sound.

i cant find the fmf pillow, i even asked my dealer and they cant get it. there is no part # for it,

quadrider2112
01-01-2011, 03:50 PM
sry if this is so late that you already got something else. Get on ebay motors atv parts and search exhaust packing. The white fmf 4 stroke packing is the one i use its not jus super loose fiber its tighter kinda like pillow material it not an actual pillow. its very dense

QuadforceDavid
01-02-2011, 07:43 PM
You can order a similar "pillow" from Sparks or you can use the DASA pillow too. I like the DASA pillow better, it has a strip of adhesive on it so when you roll it up, it sticks to itself....no coming un-done while you put it in the can. Makes it a lot easier. The DASA pillow costs about 25 bucks and the Sparks is about the same in cost, they each typically last about 40hrs of riding.

mxpimp2000
01-02-2011, 08:04 PM
i paid over 40 for my sparks pillow pack. It didnt last but 5 or 6 races thats around 4-8hrs worth of riding.

QuadforceDavid
01-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Interesting....I know DASA recently had a problem with their packing pillows, maybe Curtis uses the same manufacturers.

I don't race mine, mainly screw around at local tracks and do a lot of duning. Maybe racing puts more stress on the packing???

I would call Curtis and tell him that your packing lasted 4 or 8 hours and see what he says. He has always taken care of me when I have had a problem.

quadrider2112
01-03-2011, 07:26 PM
I ride every sunday between 3 to 6 hours. My fmf packing lasted forever. It needs repacked now and when i get the packing im going to post the exact name and who i get it from. Im pretty sure i get it from xcbobs on ebay.

mxpimp2000
01-03-2011, 09:27 PM
I ride every sunday between 3 to 6 hours. My fmf packing lasted forever. It needs repacked now and when i get the packing im going to post the exact name and who i get it from. Im pretty sure i get it from xcbobs on ebay.

i just used some of that fmf packing in a titanium 4.1 fmf and it was pretty good i might try that in my curtis sparks pipe

quadrider2112
01-05-2011, 04:20 PM
was the 4.1 yours if so how do you like it compared to the sparks. My next pipe will prolly b one of the 2 or dasa

mxpimp2000
01-05-2011, 08:01 PM
was the 4.1 yours if so how do you like it compared to the sparks. My next pipe will prolly b one of the 2 or dasa

I ran just the 4.1 pipe with a sparks header and mid pipe..i got the pipe gave to me it was rough and i had to put new bolts and repack it but it was ALOT quieter than my sparks. power was good but im not sure how well it would be with a fmf header my sparks is pretty nice

QuadforceDavid
01-06-2011, 08:01 AM
Just my .02 not that that matters....I started with a Sparks big core on mine and switched to the DASA when we did our buy in. SEAT OF THE PANTS IMPROVEMENT. I couldn't believe the difference. I love Sparks stuff but, that pipe made all the difference on my quad.

QuadforceDavid
01-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by mxpimp2000
i paid over 40 for my sparks pillow pack. It didnt last but 5 or 6 races thats around 4-8hrs worth of riding.

This is on Sparks' web site....someone got to you. This is in the "Yamaha YFZ 450 products" section. Not sure what you have, they all seem to be priced the same.

"Sparks Racing Silent Sport Re-Pack
Sparks Racing chooses Silent Sport packing for all of our 4-stroke exhausts because it is the best stuff available. It is long lasting and because of that quieter longer. The kit comes with with any hardware that you will need. What you get is a pillow ... $24.95"

mxpimp2000
01-18-2011, 08:34 PM

i figured i would give this a shot in my sparks picked some up today and wrapped it tight as **** and we'll see what happens from here