PDA

View Full Version : Christmas time is here

81-Honda-04
11-22-2010, 07:06 PM
So I finished my rebuild on my 2004 400ex in May and the bike has been great! but there is a few things I still want to do. I got PEP shocks so they are shorter then stock and I quickly discovered how they affect my headlights a few weekends ago.. I was night riding with a friend and I could only see about 4 feet in front of me... lol So im interested in getting some trail-treck torch lamps on my Bars, Also I want to but a tail-light off a 450 and put a brake light on it. So Will i have to get a bigger battery for all this? Also what kind of wires will i need for all this?
*comment as soon as you can please because Motosport.. I meant Santa! needs my wish list!*

Ian400ex
11-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by 81-Honda-04
So Will i have to get a bigger battery for all this?
Bigger batteries are nice for high compression engines/people that use power for prolonged periods without the quad on. So you can go that route, but if you are using more power than your stator can put out, there is what you should replace.

I have no personal experience with 'high output stators' but they can be found on eBay. Maybe someone with some actual experience with one will see this.

honda400ex2003
11-22-2010, 08:15 PM
i would go with a hyabusa battery and get a higher output ricky stator or equivalent. that will be more than enough to run anything. as ian said the stator does the power when it is running so you would need that to run all of the stuff. the battery is only nice when the engine isnt running. you could run the lights longer or get the engine started easier with a bigger battery. steve

trailrider894
11-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Ian400ex
Bigger batteries are nice for high compression engines/people that use power for prolonged periods without the quad on.

Not trying to be smart, just curious how high compression engines effect your battery.

Wheelie
11-22-2010, 08:47 PM
High compression makes the engine harder to turn over, combine that with most aftermarket cams lack of compression release and the engine is significantly harder to turn over.

The extra CCA the busa battery has to offer helps to offset this. The busa battery is dimensionally identical to the stock EX's battery. It weighs 1lb more and offers an extra 40 CCA, IIRC.

trailrider894
11-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
High compression makes the engine harder to turn over, combine that with most aftermarket cams lack of compression release and the engine is significantly harder to turn over.

The extra CCA the busa battery has to offer helps to offset this. The busa battery is dimensionally identical to the stock EX's battery. It weighs 1lb more and offers an extra 40 CCA, IIRC.

Thanks for that!!! Its all clear now!! I'll add that to my list now.

81-Honda-04
11-23-2010, 04:53 PM
hhaha me too, Thanks guys but what Light kit should I get?

Ian400ex
11-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Anything you want that will work with your battery; most will go with an HID kit (30-60$), while others will opt for a handlebar mounted kit. You can use some of the kits at Walmart, but they are harder on the battery (iirc) and dimmer than HIDs.

81-Honda-04
11-23-2010, 07:30 PM
I think im ganna go with some Trail tech HID bar mounts or frame mounts!