PDA

View Full Version : ITP/HOLESHOT XCT need reviews and or advice

HIPPYHUNTER
11-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Gotta love the internet for searching for reviews and advice!
I ride a 2004 SPORTRAX the original tire sizes are:
Front 22 x 7 - 10
Back 20 x 10 - 9
The XCT line is Holeshots tallest tire for the 400EX...how does this xtra height affect the ride from the original tires.
Have any of you ridden these tires?
Please let me know.

MtnEX
11-22-2010, 10:14 PM
If you are a cruising trail rider that wants the extra clearance then they are OK.

But they are too tall for an aggressive rider.

Just look at all the race pics you want...

You won't see a rear tire taller than 20"-21" on any competitive racer's ride.

HIPPYHUNTER
11-22-2010, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the quik reply. I use my armor / skidplate on the underside a good deal on rocks where I ride. I understand the low end performance may/will be lost. Hmmmm...I am a 48 yr old trail rider sometimes sand dunes(but have tires for that).
Im not a racer but everyone wants as much acceleration as possible!

MtnEX
11-23-2010, 01:25 AM
You can re-gear for the taller tires with a change in teeth on the sprocket.

And I don't think they would weigh much more than say a 20" holeshot HD... probably less...

You'll have 1" more clearance and maybe a very slightly smoother ride.

Where the height shows up is in corners and on off-cambers... Center of gravity is an inch higher and the tires have more sidewall roll...

If you corner aggressively or drift your rear end very much, you won't like them.

If not... dude it don't matter, all you'll notice is the off-cambers. Throw'em on, and if you don't like the pull, drop a tooth on the front sprocket or add a few on the rear.

Desert guys run these tall tires WFO in a straight line pretty much through some rough places and don't have issues... Just depends on the intended application.

A 20" tire that runs tall might be a nice first compromise.

-TheDude-
11-23-2010, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by MtnEX
Just look at all the race pics you want...

You won't see a rear tire taller than 20"-21" on any competitive racer's ride.
thats not true. 90% of riders that race xc competatively ride with 21 or 22 inch rear tires, thats counting most of the pros. get 21s it will be fine for all types of riding, and for the price of the xct tires you should just get gncc 21 inch tire, the 20 inch gncc only measures 19.5" and its alil different pattern then the 21 you wont be unhappy

MtnEX
11-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by -TheDude-
thats not true. 90% of riders that race xc competatively ride with 21 or 22 inch rear tires, thats counting most of the pros. get 21s it will be fine for all types of riding, and for the price of the xct tires you should just get gncc 21 inch tire, the 20 inch gncc only measures 19.5" and its alil different pattern then the 21 you wont be unhappy

Better check your ruler dude...

I'd say that 90% of the XC racers who podium do it on 20x11-9 Razr 6 ply.

My 20" GNCC rears were exactly 20" tall off the bike, with 5 PSI... top of the knobby to top of the knobby... but they are smaller than a typical 20" tire when on the bike because of being exact height and a rounded profile.

I HATE THEM. Short, narrow (10") and weak.

People who like the GNCC run the 21" rear which is not much larger than a standard 20" when on the bike.

CJM
11-23-2010, 09:04 AM
GNCC riders want 21s and some 22's. Imho I dislike anything over 21 as it tends to be to top heavy and makes the quad tippy.

Most XC riders use a 20in tire.

I dont like holeshots, they are to heavy a tire and to high.

HIPPYHUNTER
11-23-2010, 09:32 AM
I am a 48 yr YOUNG trail rider. I ride my club's(Tulsa Trail Riders/ I'm the secretary...woo hoo...I can read and write!) 1780 acre ROCKY "mountain". Did I say rocks?
I dont race BUT I do appreciate performance.
Thanks for all the input. Has anyone actually ridden these tires?
Keep the information coming.

CJM
11-23-2010, 09:43 AM
If you got really rocky terrain and you dont move fast then they will probably be fine.

I myself prefer the maxxis razr but thats me.

MtnEX
11-23-2010, 10:07 AM
OK, I think the original poster might appreciate a 23/22 front/rear combo... rocky mountain or rocky desert... clearance might be premium.

However... you boys talking 22" tires in XC/GNCC racing need an eyeball check... and here it is for you...

Here is what a 450R looks like on 22's.

http://kendallrace.com/Images/2010/newplastic/smaller/2010%20009.jpg

http://www.teixeiratech.com/images/Desert%20450%20build%20238sm.jpg

Thats a desert/baja setup...

NOBODY runs these things at the track unless maybe someone tries them because it's raining and the whole track is going to be a mud rut... Well, nobody but Billy Bob Local on his 300EX or Warrior.

-TheDude-
11-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by MtnEX
OK, However... you boys talking 22" tires in XC/GNCC racing need an eyeball check... and here it is for you...

Do you even run xc at all???? and i said 21 not 22 ill go on qu@dzone and start a poll to see what people run that whole forum is guys that run gncc, that includes xc1 and xc2 riders, they wont let me link to that forum so go check it out i posted it in the lounge

MtnEX
11-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Yeah, there is nothing BUT xc here... woods...

Yeah, a lot of the guys who run ITP GNCC tires do run the 21" version. Wish I had gotten those instead also... as they are basically like a regular 20" tire when on... like a 20" Razr or whatever.

Almost everyone runs 20" rears and 21" fronts... heck most won't even run a 22" front though I still do for now. Most run 20" Razr rears and 21" Razr2 fronts.

I'm a member over there too...

For comparison, here's Cook when he was on the Honda... Look anything near the desert rides above?

http://www.atvriders.com/atvracing/gnccatv/2008/06-bryan-cook-honda-trx-450r-atv.jpg

http://www.atvriders.com/atvracing/gnccatv/2008/01-bryan-cook-honda-trx-450r-atv.jpg

http://www.atvriders.com/atvracing/gnccatv/2008/04-bryan-cook-honda-trx-450r-atv.jpg

Heck I was just talking to Cook 2 days ago about the DWT tires he's running on the KTM and he was commenting on how the DWT tires run smaller than 20's in the rear.

supertrooper90
11-23-2010, 02:33 PM
I ride some harescrambles in northeast pa. I'm one of the few with 21" tires most run 20's

I rode 22's for years til i started racing and doing some mx. when i first got my 400 i had 22/22 front/ rear with a lower tooth on the front sprocket it worked out great for me. I really liked the extra ground clearance. I used to ride a lot of mud and rocks Good luck with your choice.

jgar
11-23-2010, 05:21 PM
I have run the xct in the past. If you want some ground clearance and a good overall tire. Get them you will be happy. Like they said if you feel they rob to much power you can change the sprockets. I have a set of 20's and a set of 22's. I prefer the 20's but the 22's have there place for the nasty trails.

smoke tractor1
11-24-2010, 02:23 PM
The xct's are good tires, the front tread pattern is a bit dated with new technolgy, the gncc's are far better in the 22 frt & 21 rear size,the maxis razor 23,22rear set is good as well and they wear very well,I like ITP's,The taller xct's or tall razor2's take alittle getting use to but if ride in really knarly terrain they save the bottom of your bike as well you wont get stuck in those rutted or rocks everyone your riding with will. A tip on 400ex is change the rear rotor to a 250r or 450r that much smaller dia. this and 21 gncc's is a good combo for tall clearance and good handling! Good Luck!