PDA

View Full Version : Top End Reassembly Question

duroc825
11-20-2010, 04:30 PM
I have an 05 416 stage 2 cam 11:1 Piston.
Head gasket had slight leak and as I was disassembling I noticed that the spring and plunger shown on 7-5 & 7-18 of manual in camshaft removal and install pictures is missing. I am pretty sure that I did not lose it in the case since I noticed it missing before I touched the camshaft. Any ideas of what it is for and if it's "super" important. Engine was torn down about 6 months ago at a shop for tranny repair so I assume they lost or didn't install it. Any advice is appreciated.

PaRedneckRiders
11-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by duroc825
I have an 05 416 stage 2 cam 11:1 Piston.
Head gasket had slight leak and as I was disassembling I noticed that the spring and plunger shown on 7-5 & 7-18 of manual in camshaft removal and install pictures is missing. I am pretty sure that I did not lose it in the case since I noticed it missing before I touched the camshaft. Any ideas of what it is for and if it's "super" important. Engine was torn down about 6 months ago at a shop for tranny repair so I assume they lost or didn't install it. Any advice is appreciated.
Its for the decomp. on the stock cam, You dont need it because you have the stage 2 cam that doesnt have a decomp.

duroc825
11-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Ahhh! That makes sense. Thanks a lot. This site is the the Mac Daddy of ATV sites. Post a question and get an accurate answer in as little as 3 minutes! :D

PaRedneckRiders
11-20-2010, 04:39 PM
Ahhh! That makes sense. Thanks a lot. This site is the the Mac Daddy of ATV sites. Post a question and get an accurate answer in as little as 3 minutes! :D
haha no prob man always happy to help a fellow EX rider

duroc825
11-20-2010, 08:14 PM
Alright, next question. Put it all back together and now no fire. Noticed when I turn it over to TDC there is no play in rocker arms, turned it over several times and still no play. I aligned marks on timing chain with cylinder, had correct side facing out. Had lobes facing down on cam. Before reassembly it always fired with no problem. Any ideas? :confused:

426kidz
11-20-2010, 08:20 PM
VALVESSSS.. did you ceck your valves? did you plug your spark plug back in or is it turning over but not startin??

426kidz
11-20-2010, 08:22 PM
put it at TDC and loosen and adjust the valves till there perfect.:(

duroc825
11-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Turns over but doesn't fire (start)
Plug is in. No I didn't adjust valves.
If there is no play in rocker arms I can't adjust them. Valves were adjusted not long ago (maybe 6hrs of riding since adjusted). Could the valves being too tight keep rockers from having play at TDC? Everything ran fine before I started gasket replacement.
:grr:

426kidz
11-20-2010, 10:32 PM
yeah def. Them vavles are sometimes tricky, I had a 416 that was just crazy to get right, if the little nut gets loose and lets it tighten down you can def make it hard on it to start. the rockers will have no play or lash. do you have guages too make them right? make sure to turn it over by hand until the t is right on center than open valve caps and loosen them up till you can fit a guage in there.

426kidz
11-20-2010, 10:35 PM
and, Is that all you did was replace a gasket? if so kinda strange that it is playin games now:mad: :mad:

CJM
11-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Keep on turning it to TDC (counter clockwise on the crankshaft bolt). I recently redid mine and literally turned it at least 20x till I got the play in the rockers.

426kidz
11-20-2010, 10:45 PM
yeah, that could be the case also, I would keep turning it but after 20X's id just re adjust.:D

CJM
11-20-2010, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by 426kidz
yeah, that could be the case also, I would keep turning it but after 20X's id just re adjust.:D

Funny thing about that, if you readjust and those rockers dont have play it wont be adjusted right. I know cause I been there.

Course mine also might be fun cause the engine is worked. I found adjusting my buddies near stock (he has a cam and nothing else) was easier.

Take your time OP you will get it sooner or later.

426kidz
11-20-2010, 11:04 PM
I agree. take your time and just make sure things fall into place. but either way too loose or too tight its a noo go! so make sure to just take the time needed! but idk why it would be off sense all you did was the gaskets??kinda strange

426kidz
11-20-2010, 11:06 PM
btw,does the spal fan make much any differance?

CJM
11-21-2010, 07:27 AM
btw,does the spal fan make much any differance?

When its hot I have mine on alot, it keeps the temps much cooler by about 10F at least if not more.

426kidz
11-21-2010, 08:58 AM
Nice, im gonna look into it, thanks

duroc825
11-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Yes all I did was replace head/cylinder gasket. Now I didn't set to TDC until after I removed valves and cover. Is that where I screwed somethin up?? I didn't disassemble any of the valves etc.

bherriman
11-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Turns over but doesn't fire (start)
Plug is in. No I didn't adjust valves.
If there is no play in rocker arms I can't adjust them. Valves were adjusted not long ago (maybe 6hrs of riding since adjusted). Could the valves being too tight keep rockers from having play at TDC? Everything ran fine before I started gasket replacement.
:grr:

I could be wrong, but when you are at true TDC with all the cam lobes facing down there should be no pressure against the rocker arms. You should have play in the arms at tdc.

duroc825
11-21-2010, 10:35 AM
Yeah no play at TDC is my problem. I know there should be play as I posted earlier. When I loosen valve cover bolts there is play, when I barely tighten them down (hand tight) I have no play???????

Well I checked clearance and they were way tight, so I'm resetting clearance and see if that works. Just don't understand why when I didn't touch valves how they got out of clearance?????? Something to do with torqe on head bolts and valve cover????

426kidz
11-21-2010, 11:05 AM
No, there shouldnt be much too do with the torque, im lost id just adjust and than see what happens!

duroc825
11-21-2010, 11:06 AM
put it at TDC and loosen and adjust the valves till there perfect.:(

You were right! Just didn't think that the valve clearance would have changed that much from just replacing gasket. Thanks!

CJM
11-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Not sure if you totally solved it yet, but:

Everything should be totally back together at this point when adjusting the valves besides the valve cover caps. Those 6mm bolts ont he valve cover get torqued to 8ft-lbs. NOTHING MORE or you will strip them.

Hope that helps.

426kidz
11-21-2010, 12:09 PM
No problamooo. thats why were here!

duroc825
11-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Not sure if you totally solved it yet, but:

Everything should be totally back together at this point when adjusting the valves besides the valve cover caps. Those 6mm bolts ont he valve cover get torqued to 8ft-lbs. NOTHING MORE or you will strip them.

Hope that helps.
Ha! Solved it, put it back together and been riding it since my last post!
I'd still like to educate myself as to why the clearance would go out of tolerance that much when I didn't mess with the valve assembly?????????

426kidz
11-21-2010, 03:43 PM
you will never know,lol be happy it is workin,one of them things where it is what it is!:confused: :confused: :confused:

CJM
11-21-2010, 04:01 PM
You removed the valve cover and the rockers, thus it was all moved and out of whack would be my guess.