PDA

View Full Version : Ricks stator

Grande Huevos
11-20-2010, 08:58 AM
lookin for new stator wondering if anybody has any info on a ricks stator???????? what would b better oem or somthing els??????

troybilt
11-20-2010, 09:07 AM
I just bought a 200w one from them, works great...

Grande Huevos
11-20-2010, 10:22 AM
how many watts does the oem put out??? and if its putting out 200 can u run 2 100 watt lights? how much does the motor need??

D Bergstrom
11-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Grande Huevos
how many watts does the oem put out??? and if its putting out 200 can u run 2 100 watt lights? how much does the motor need??

I think the oem stator puts out about 80 to 100 watts, not positive on the exact amount, but it is somewhere around there. The motor does not require any of that 200 watts, the ignition and lighting systems are seperate. The Ricky Stator puts out 200 watts max, so if you install two 100 watt lights it should power them just fine at higher rpms, but at low rpms they will dim pretty good. Better idea would be to run one 100 watt bulb and one 55 watt bulb.

I have been running a Ricky Stator 200 watt stator in my 250r for about five years. About a year ago I lost spark and found the stator was bad. Called up Ricky Stator and ordered a new one and while on the phone with them I asked if I could send this one back for them to fix it, figured I could use it as a spare. They said sure, send it back and they will give me a quote on the repairs. Two weeks later I get a new one deliverd to my house, said they warrantied it so no charge. I was pretty impressed they did that on a stator I bought four years ago. I am very happy with the service I have received from them.

Doug

deathman53
11-20-2010, 11:48 AM
you guys have it all wrong. The motor windings and stator lighting windings are different. When they say it produces 200w, that means it will make 200w at the lighting/acces winding. The windings for the motor spark/cdi are separate and stay the same as stock. Also, you will probably find out too late.....but a higher wattage stator needs a different regulator. If you use the stock regulator, its only rated for 100w. If you have a 200w stator and stock regulator, you are going to over-work the stock regulator and burn it out. Higher wattage stators need higher rated regulators to work correctly and keep the voltage in check.

D Bergstrom
11-20-2010, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
you guys have it all wrong. The motor windings and stator lighting windings are different.

How did I have it wrong? I said same thing.

Originally posted by D Bergstrom
The motor does not require any of that 200 watts, the ignition and lighting systems are seperate.

Good point on the stock regulator though. Not something I have experience with. My entire lighting sstem is aftermarket, don't use one thing from the stock system. I bet Ricky Stator has a regulator that will work.

Doug

j4duncanr
11-20-2010, 08:35 PM
i love there products.i call them up they tell me what ohms it should be.they can rebuild way cheaper than oem and you do have a warranty.

CorvetteZ06
11-21-2010, 10:29 PM
I've used their products for years..... works excellent!! great customer service also!!

MossboysRacing
11-23-2010, 07:00 PM
I run a ricky stator 100w stator, with their ac regulator. the regulator is rated for 200watts and is like 20 bucks. I was told by them to run only 70 watts of lights on the 100w stator. the 200 watt stator can run 200 watts of lights, so maybe the light windings and motor windings are different on the 100w?

snacob14
03-11-2011, 11:42 AM
is there a difference in Ricky's Stators and Rick's Stators. I just purchased a Ricks stator from my local shop.

wilkin250r
03-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by MossboysRacing
I was told by them to run only 70 watts of lights on the 100w stator. the 200 watt stator can run 200 watts of lights, so maybe the light windings and motor windings are different on the 100w?

I know the stock stator is 100W, but you can't use absolutely all 100W for lights. There is going to be power loss in the system, so you can only run about 80% or so.

I thought this was also true on the 200W stator, that you don't want to run 200W worth of lights, that you should keep it to 175W or so. Am I mistaken on that aspect?

However, I AM certain that high-output stators (of any brand) are different from the stock stator (duh) at low rpms. At idle, the stock stator will produce about 22 volts, which gets regulated to 12~15 depending on your regulator. A high-output stator will only produce 6~8 volts, which is barely enough to make your lights glow, let alone shine brightly. Your lights will be really dim at idle, but they'll brighten up as soon as you increase RPMs.

Grande Huevos
03-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by snacob14
is there a difference in Ricky's Stators and Rick's Stators. I just purchased a Ricks stator from my local shop.

i have never used either i run all oem but have done research and asked questions at variouse shops and forums and i have found that the ricky stator is a pile of sh*t and burn up rather fast! the ricks stator is the better rout to go and i believe is cheaper, but i personallly have never used either so idk? I think its one of those things that is hit or miss tho. for instance iv heard very liitle good things about hot rod cranks and the bearing go out within a year all the time and people mess there entire motor up, but i had one on my 310R and rode it for little over 2 years w many many hrs on it and never had one single prob w it! i have one in my new 330R but i did go w oem bearings this time around just to b safe!!

snacob14
03-12-2011, 01:44 PM
I just bought a ricks stator and am having problems with it. He was supposed to give me a call but i've heard nothing. its a new one.

machwon
03-12-2011, 09:54 PM
OEM on any motor, or a pvl. If you have a strong motor and want it to run right, don't buy anything else.

j4duncanr
03-14-2011, 07:37 PM
i speak from several yrs of running ricky stator products.top notch never had a single problem from any of there stators to polaris ignition coils.they are the first call i make when i need electrical parts.