PDA

View Full Version : Changing Oil according to Clymers?

remlapr
02-10-2003, 07:29 AM
Hi,

New member, first post. Just bought a '99 400EX. I used to ride ATC's (always Honda) when I was younger, got out of it for about the last 12 years, but getting back into it now - only with 4 wheels this time:D. Anyway - I bought the Clymers book and in it's oil change instructions it says to start the bike and let it run for a while right before changing the oil and it also says to "oil the filter" referring to the new filter. Do I really need to do these two steps? and if so what is "oiling the filter"?? I don't really want to run the bike just before changing the oil because I am switching to synth and I would like to have all the old oil as drained as possible, it's also the oil that came in the bike and it looks like it has seem more than it's share of hours so I would just assume not run it through the engine anymore. Thanks for the help - this is a great site, lots of good information.

Pappy
02-10-2003, 07:47 AM
the purpose of running the bike before the oil change is so that the oil will flow out of the engine better. therefore allowing more of the old oil to be removed.

as far as oiling the filter....i dont rember ever oiling my filter other then the oil seal. i may have tho....i just got another 400ex so i will have to refresh myself on it:p

welcome to the site:)

TravEX
02-10-2003, 07:49 AM
i don't oil my filter before i put it in,,,it's up to you if you run it a while before changing it, i would think that it would drain out better if the oil is at operating temp and just as much of it will drain out,,,

fuddrucker
02-10-2003, 08:44 AM
I have heard that running the engine for a while to warm it up also helps get the crap that has settled on the bottom of the case mixed up a bit so it all comes out. Don't know if that is true though. I prefer draining when engine has been sitting a while so all the oil is in the pan.

sly400ex
02-10-2003, 09:02 AM
Everyone is right, you should definately warm it up, you will get more of the old oil out that way. I wouldn't really be to concerned about oiling the new filter though.:cool:

Rip_Tear
02-10-2003, 04:14 PM
Hi! Welcome to the site. The reasons for letting the engine run are:
1. When the oil is warming it will flow out easier, and faster.
2. It moves all the "crud" around so that it will flow out, instead of just sitting there.

I am pretty sure it says that in Clymers manual, but I didnt check... If your inside and its pretty warm anyways it shouldnt hurt, but more "crud" will be left inside.

luvmyex
02-10-2003, 05:37 PM
You dont really oil the filter itself.Just put a little of the oil you drain out on your finger and rub it on the little rubber ring thats on the filter.

badA$$440EX
02-11-2003, 03:17 PM
I always let it warm up thats just what ive always done