PDA

View Full Version : ride height? + a couple others.

hartwill
11-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Has anyone else had trouble setting their ride height? I can't get it right. I have an 86 r with 86 rear shock and linkage and I backed the nut all the way off till it was barely touching the spring in the back and I'm still at 9" with me on it. I settled it and everything. Oh and that's with 19" tires. The front is also at 9" with +2 arms and works triple rates on the softest setting. But the front should be right around where I want it when I swap the 22" tires for 21 or 20". Also why is it that with adjustable axles the wheel spacing is off by about an inch? Id say maybe its just me but I helped a friend of mine with his axle on his r and both mine and his were an inch wider on the kicker side.

mx Eli
11-20-2010, 12:58 PM
the axle problem might be because the lock nut is on the brake/kicker side which takes up room on the axle

also with stock shocks i always have trouble getting ride height right becuase im only 140 pounds

so depending on how much you weigh that could be your problem

hartwill
11-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Yea I'm about 150. I'm just gonna take it to gt thunder and have them do it for me.

mx Eli
11-20-2010, 09:43 PM
yea thats what i would do get a softer spring put in

even on my elka duel rate if i turn the preload collar up enuf to get my ride height right, the springs can move up and down 3/8 inch or so becuase the springs are for a 180 pound dude and i dont push them down enuf when im sitting on it

C41Xracer
11-21-2010, 07:29 AM
you should have the rear shock converted to a zps shock. the soft top spring will compress when you sit on it and lower it

mx Eli
11-21-2010, 12:25 PM
its cheaper just to get one spring set up for your weight and it sounds to me like you dont want to spend a bunch

hartwill
11-21-2010, 03:29 PM
yea i dont really want to spend a ton of cash. i was thinking about trying a 88/89 rear shock with my 86 linkage. i know they are a little shorter. do you think this would work or should i just get the softer spring?

C41Xracer
11-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Don't mix and match different shocks and linkages, stop being cheap and make sure you fix it correctly or it will cost you more in the end. I used an 86 rear shock and a 88-89 linkage(my mistake) and when I landed off of a jump when the linkage was totally flat during compression, the shock still had travel and it ended up ripping the ends off of the ends of the lower linkage mount on the frame. Don't cut corners your gonna have to get that shock re-valved and re-sprung for your weight.

mx Eli
11-21-2010, 05:50 PM
the cheapest way would be to find out what weight the stock spring is set up for then buy just a spring the same length but softer and out it on yourself i did it on my stock 450r and it worked great