PDA

View Full Version : A-Arm bushings FULL of dirt!!!!!!

fuddrucker
02-10-2003, 06:57 AM
I had posted a question a while back about greasing my a-arms. I did it this weekend. When any of you have done this, have the bushings ever been completely packed with DRY dirt? I bought this bike used about 3 years ago and have been going around it lately doing basic upkeep, like greasing bearings ect. and this is the first time I took the a-arms apart. It amazes me that the arms even worked when I saw how much dirt was in there. All the seals looked good (put new ones on anyway) and all the dirt was bone dry even though I was riding through a lot of water on my last trip. It was red in color, like dry red clay, (which we don't have here in So. Cal) and not a bit of grease to be found. Now I am curious as to what I will find when I take the rear axel out to grease the swingarm.

Also, the manual just said to put some grease in there (A-Arms) but I packed it full like you would do with wheel bearings. Is this correct or do you all just grease the parts and leave the air space empty?

Thanks

250rpilot
02-10-2003, 09:48 AM
packing them full was the right thing to do;) your red stuff could have been just dried up grease, its nasty looking stuff when it gets old and dries out