PDA

View Full Version : What internet connection should I get?

YLW400
02-10-2003, 06:19 AM
Well, I have dial up now...and hate it. I am moving out to the boonies here in about 2 weeks, and we can't get cable out there....Which means no cable modem. What are my other alternatives. Help me out here guys. I NEED something faster then dial up!! Does anyone run T-1? How much is it? Is DSL comparable to a cable modem? We are getting a satelite dish, and i have heard that they have internet connections. ANyone have this? Thanks a bunch!

Nausty
02-10-2003, 06:40 AM
I know a site that can help almost all of your problems, check out speedguide.net and if that don't help try dslreports.com

QuAdRaCeR244
02-10-2003, 06:41 AM
I'm not sure of what is offered in your area. I have DSL and love it.:)

YLW400
02-10-2003, 06:44 AM
I think I can get DSL. I am checking on it today. Is it fast? I would like to start d/l music again. WOuld it be ok for that? THanks Nausty, I will check that out!!

QuadJunkies
02-10-2003, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by YLW400
Well, I have dial up now...and hate it. I am moving out to the boonies here in about 2 weeks, and we can't get cable out there....Which means no cable modem. What are my other alternatives. Help me out here guys. I NEED something faster then dial up!! Does anyone run T-1? How much is it? Is DSL comparable to a cable modem? We are getting a satelite dish, and i have heard that they have internet connections. ANyone have this? Thanks a bunch! WEll, where wa live we dont have DSL .We live in rural area and itsa not avail where we live,so im not sure on that but,as far as satalite,which Co are you getting your TV satalite with ? Direct tv??

YLW400
02-10-2003, 06:48 AM
That or DIshnetwork....stll deciding. . .both about the same price

QuadJunkies
02-10-2003, 07:00 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by YLW400
That or DIshnetwork....stll deciding. . .both about the same price [/QU I would go with DSL if you can get it in your area first, I was thinking it was kinda spendy getting all set up of satalite even if you have it for your TV, I guess you still have to have a sep satalite or sometinhg ,i just remember there was more cost invovled,and I dont know of anyone around here that has it to see if they have good service ,so DSL is what I would reccomend

Doibugu2
02-10-2003, 08:49 AM
YLW, if you plan on getting satelite, Direct TV is much better than dish network, if your into sports. You have the option to buy all the Football, baseball, basketball, hockey packages. Which the dish does not offer. I've looked into it alot and direct Tv is the better option. IMO.

As far as using the Direc TV to get high speed internet. You have to go to www.directway.com. I think it is like $100 per month, which I think is crazy. But if your in the boonies, that might be your only option. But DSL is equal to cable modem. And a T1 line would be way to expensive. They are like $300 per month.

ieatglue
02-10-2003, 09:20 AM
i have dsl which is great. at college i had T1 line and it kicked the dsl in the nuts.

sly400ex
02-10-2003, 09:49 AM
T1, good luck. I know it is very pricey and it isn't even a true t1 connection most of the time. It is a fractional T1, the signal gets split amongst several end users. I have had cable and now have DSL. Cable can be much faster than DSL, where as it can be much slower too. But the neat thing about DSL, is that I am always guranteed at least a 768K down link and I think 348K up. Anywho's , cable and DSL are very comparable.

YLW400
02-10-2003, 10:29 AM
Yea, after looking at T-1, thats not even an option. Hopefully I can get DSL down there. As long as it is faster then dial up...lol Do you think I will have problem d/l music with DSL? Dial up just isnt happening. Honestly, I dont even watch sports. Unless it has a motor, I dont want anything to do with it...lol Thanks alot guys!! and gal ;)

QuadJunkies
02-10-2003, 10:43 AM
Yea, after looking at T-1, thats not even an option. Hopefully I can get DSL down there. As long as it is faster then dial up...lol Do you think I will have problem d/l music with DSL? Dial up just isnt happening. Honestly, I dont even watch sports. Unless it has a motor, I dont want anything to do with it...lol Thanks alot guys!! and gal ;) no. You should have no problem.. you are going to be amazed how much faster everytyhing is.. I got my cable modem a month ago, and I honestly dont know how I went this long with dial up,its so nioce not getting booted all the time and i can now watch all of Wyoduners vids!!:p

Fluid400
02-10-2003, 10:48 AM
DSL <---------------------- the only way to go

YLW400
02-10-2003, 11:21 AM
Holy ****!!!! This is starting to get me aggravated!! I can't get anything but dial up in my area!!!!!! :macho :macho :macho :macho I have called Verizon, AOL, and the cable company is completely out of the question. Guess I am stuck with dial up

QuadJunkies
02-10-2003, 11:54 AM
Holy ****!!!! This is starting to get me aggravated!! I can't get anything but dial up in my area!!!!!! :macho :macho :macho :macho I have called Verizon, AOL, and the cable company is completely out of the question. Guess I am stuck with dial up :( :( :( that sucks... this is the crap part of livin in the boonies...

wheeltrax
02-10-2003, 02:06 PM
I got Cable modem and i love it! I have used DSL and i liked it as well. It sure beat the nonstop good bye of dial up AOL i had previously! Glad i switched, i wouldnt go back.

MyIce
02-10-2003, 02:44 PM
I have had dsl, cable, and Satelite internet. Dsl or cable are probably the best way to go. But I would take direcPc(Satelite internet) over dial up anyday!
You can either get one way satelite or two way.
One way uses a phone line to send the information and recieves the information through the satelite. This gives you really fast download speeds, but if you are uploading something, like files to a server ect... it's the same speed as dial up.
Two way, sends and recieves through the satelite. It's pretty quick. It is kinda expensive though, and also it takes a sec or two to get the information back to your computer after you send it by satelite.

DirecPc Website (http://www.direcpc.com)

Leo
02-10-2003, 04:43 PM
I've got direcpc right now (2-way system)..

The dish set me back $600 + ~$70/month for the service..

The download speeds can be fantastic, and can at times be pathetic.. The upload speed sucks (dialup's faster 99% of the time).. The lag time will literally make you want to tear your hair out..

99% of the time I run it in 1 way mode (all upload is done via my dialup, and download via the dish).. When setup this way it's MUCH faster browsing..

The moral of the story? get the one-way system (cheaper dish + cheaper service). The 2-way just isn't worth it IMHO. I know when my contract runs out in June I'll be dumping mine.

For TV, if your not a sports nut (specifically if you don't want to buy NFL season pass) dishnetwork is the only way to fly.. Get the upgraded PVR reciever (it's got a built in tivo type deal).. You'll never be able to live without it (pause TV, record, rewind live TV, etc.. very cool).

Leo

Leo
02-10-2003, 04:45 PM
oh yea, forgot to mention hughes (direcpc) tech support SUCKS..

they don't know crap, heck, they can barely speak english..

LOL

Leo

YLW400
02-10-2003, 08:00 PM
Thanks alot for the info guys!! Greatly appreciated!!

zephead400ex
02-10-2003, 08:44 PM
Here at work, we have 29 T-1's running into our office! I only get online at work, I dont even have a home pc!

gojk
02-11-2003, 12:24 AM
I work for an ISP in a rural area and we offer a wireless system. It runs off a 2.4GHZ or 802.11b equipment and is very comparable to DSL or Cable. Try seeing if your local ISP has that available. We offer 2.0 mb for $50 a month. It seems that a lot of companies are offering this now, sprint is a big player in major cities with wireless. But we have a 21 mile link with our wireless equipment right now so it reaches pretty far.

Also DSL in rural areas is almost never gunna happen. The equipment that is required at the phone switch is unreal expensive and it is only good up to 3 copper miles from the phone switch, so it doesn't cover many people and wouldn't be very cost effective.

YLW400
02-14-2003, 06:30 AM
After me spazzing out and calling every internet provider on the east coast, looking online and everything else, my wife gets a call at work yesterday. "This is Comcast (the cable company), we are calling to inform you that there is cable available at your future address, we did a site visit today to confirm it".........After they told us over the phone that it was NOT offered.....Oh well, digital cable and modem, here I come!!!

Doibugu2
02-14-2003, 07:34 AM
We have a cable modem at my parents house, and when nobody is on, I actually think it is faster can be a lot faster than the T1 that we have a work. I know at my work that we have a lot of things running over the internet, plus I am sharing with everybody else but still. You won't be disappointed.

YLW400
02-14-2003, 09:44 AM
It has to be faster then what I am running now.....lol

cjpoole1
02-14-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by gojk
it is only good up to 3 copper miles from the phone switch, so it doesn't cover many people and wouldn't be very cost effective.
18000 copper feet from a switch or remote terminal and will actually go further than that but your speed starts to drop off

Glow Plug
02-14-2003, 02:46 PM
i have to stick which this sh*t arse dail up argg i want high speed so bad :mad: :mad: