PDA

View Full Version : Dropping a tooth off the front, what to expect??

Thumpin440ex
11-18-2010, 03:59 PM
I currently have the mods in my sig. I however have dropped 2 off my back sprocket( before I ever had the engine built).. I feel the bike has plenty of power, but will like a lil more snap in the lower 3 gears, more so for trail riding, where I do alot of riding.. How much diff will going from my 15 stock to a 14 tooth make?? Will it be a noticeable difference?? Thanks

John

Colby@C&DRacing
11-18-2010, 04:39 PM
It will be like going up three in the rear. Better bottoms end with a lose in topend of around 4-5 MPH

RATPACK Z400
11-19-2010, 04:58 AM
I would try 13 /38 with mud tires .i run 15/38 with holeshots prolem is trying different sizes you,ll have to cut chain .

wilkin250r
11-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Why did you drop 2 in the rear? If you want more snap on the bottom, you went the wrong direction.

1 tooth smaller in the front will definitely give you that snap on the bottom, and yes, it will be noticeable. However, if you're still running the same chain, you might not have enough adjustment left to drop a tooth in the front. You might also need to add a tooth in the rear, or cut some links off your chain.

Thumpin440ex
11-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Thanks guys. I have no problem cutting my chain. I went to more teeth on the rear, to give it more top end. One reason was I had the 440 kit, mods and all so I fig it could pull it out of the hole.. It can however I have now found out that I would like a lil more snap out of the turns on the trails.. I ordered a JT 14 tooth front, so we'll see how much better it makes it...

John

rooster300ex
11-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
Thanks guys. I have no problem cutting my chain. I went to more teeth on the rear, to give it more top end. One reason was I had the 440 kit, mods and all so I fig it could pull it out of the hole.. It can however I have now found out that I would like a lil more snap out of the turns on the trails.. I ordered a JT 14 tooth front, so we'll see how much better it makes it...

John

More teeth on the back sprocket gives u more bottom end not top end.

Less teeth on the rear sprocket is more topend not bottom.

The smaller the rear sprocket on the rear equals more topend. The bigger the rear sprocket is will give u more bottom end. I know its backwards, but thats how it works. If u are wanting more bottom end just go with the smaller front sprocket.