PDA

View Full Version : Replacing clutch

slightlybent47
11-18-2010, 02:14 PM
I have a clutch kit that I want to install but having never done an ex clutch, I need to know what tools I need to complete the job.
I only plan to replace the plates, disks and springs, not the basket unless there is excessive wear on it.
But I want to be prepared to replace everything if need be, so what tools do I need to complete the job?
The reason for the new clutch is one, it’s the original clutch that came with the bike when it was new. Two is that it has been ridden and raced for 3 years, two of witch it has had been running with mods to the motor.
I had a chance to go riding yesterday and the track was sweet, but I felt like the clutch was slipping. It was a very deep sandy track and it may have just been wheel spin and not the clutch. But I will need to replace it at some point so I would like to be ready. i plan on hitting a deferent track on sunday and it's a hard pack track so i will be able to tell if the clutch is slipping.Also should I use lock tight on the spring bolts when I put it back together?

Thanks

rubbersdown
11-18-2010, 02:57 PM
no special tools needed. Just a a ratchet and a couple sockets (8mm and 10mm I think). be sure to soak your plates in oil over night before you install them. also there is no torque setting for your springs so just bottom the bolts out then make them just a tad tighter as that size bolt should never have any more than 7ft lb's on it. you can use locktight if you want but its not needed. if you do I would say use blue and not red though.

NacsMXer
11-18-2010, 03:10 PM
First off, make sure you have a clutch cover gasket ready to go. You might get lucky and be able to reuse it, but they do come off in pieces sometimes.

You may need a beefy flat screwdriver or small pry bar to get the clutch cover off once all the bolts are out. Mine was stuck on there pretty good. If you look at the very lower left hand corner of the clutch cover, there will be a tab protruding out of the edge. This is your pry point. I put a rag against the swingarm and pried against it to get the cover to finally pop off. Don't forget to turn the clutch lifter arm counter clockwise while removing the cover or it won't come off.

Presoak your new plates in fresh motor oil.

To get the the plates out, remove the clutch bolts in a star pattern in 2 or 3 steps. You can then remove the springs/pressure plate and remove the old plates. Note the orientation of the plates, and reinstall the same way.

Using a small 1/4" ratchet, reinstall the pressure plate and bolts/springs in a star pattern in 2 or 3 steps. Choke up on the ratchet head and tighten the bolts until "just snug" with one hand to prevent over tightening. It is very easy to snap the heads off the bolts if you over do it. No need to use loctite, the spring pressure will keep the bolts from working loose.

While the cover is still off, it's a good idea to remove the small screen at the bottom of the case and clean it with carb cleaner/brakleen. There's a single 10mm bolt holding it in place.

Before you reinstall the clutch cover, note how the "cup" in the clutch lifter arm engages the "head" of the clutch lifter pin. The lifter pin is the thing coming out of the center of the clutch basket fyi. When putting the cover back on, you will have to hold the lifter arm in a counter clockwise position initally, and then rotate it clockwise until you feel it engage the clutch lifter pin. You should be able to feel the spring pressure with your hand when you do this. It might take a couple of tries or repositioning of the lifter pin (you can pull out or push it in) to get it to engage. After that, reinstall the bolts with a 1/4" ratchet until snug. Put your cable back on and you're done.

If you need to do the basket, you may need a clutch holder tool, impact wrench, and an electric grinder.

slightlybent47
11-18-2010, 03:40 PM
Ok thanks guys, I took a short ride this afternoon after I washed it and it seemed to be pulling fine on asphalt so it must have been the deep sand. but I keep thinking that after 3 years of racing is it still pulling the best that it should be or would with new plates and disks in it? Do clutches fade over time or do they pull 100% all the time? What I mean can you tell if a clutch is pulling at 100% or 80% or 60%? Or if I replace it should I expect better results over the old clutch?
I’m just wondering if I should wait till I know for sure it’s slipping before I replace it?

rubbersdown
11-18-2010, 03:44 PM
clutches fade over time they dont go 100% to nothing. they gradually wear and eventually go out completely. If the bike was raced and the plates are 3 years old I would just go ahead and replace them if I were you.

Pipeless416
11-18-2010, 03:51 PM
when mine started going, the only really noticeable issue was the slippage in higher gears, especially in the dunes. i couldn't drag race without the RPM's bouncing off the rev limiter after shifting into 4th. i think it is a progressive thing, meaning it gets worse and worse.

3400ben
11-18-2010, 03:55 PM
I had six years on my last clutch. 5 of them six was racing. It is all in how you use your clutch. If it is not slipping leave it alone.

CJM
11-18-2010, 04:26 PM
It does get worse overtime. In the dunes riding around I find it hits the limiter in the higher gears easy-but there are several things I that need attn before I go to the clutch.

Take your time bent, the worst is getting the old gasket off-it seems to come off in little bits and takes forever.

416racer
11-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Ive got an 07 with almost all of its time spent racing. I bought new clutch kit from Barnetts when I put a new timing chain on it this summer. I was suprised to see my stock disc were still in great shape, Probably 75% left. I would leave it be unless your going in anyway or having an issue. Just my thoughts.

slightlybent47
11-18-2010, 05:50 PM
Well I was just out in the shop and I checked the adjustment on it real good and I did give it one click so that it would engage a little sooner but other then that it seemed fine. I have a set of new hole shots I have been saving, I think I’ll bolt them on for the ride this weekend and see how well it hooks up. If I’m not pulling wheelies out of every corner on this track then I’ll know it’s not pulling right. I did do a dry donut on the pavement today and it smoked the tires with no problem, so it’s hookin up in the lower gears for sure.

I have a gasket for the case cover that came with the kit and I have thought about pulling the case to inspect it but if I do that I might as well replace the clutch at that point.lol

slightlybent47
11-21-2010, 07:43 PM
After today I’m convinced the clutch is defiantly not slipping. A new set of tires and some Texas red clay had me wheeling out of every corner. I guess it was just the deep sand I was in that made it feel like it was slipping.

slightlybent47
11-21-2010, 07:44 PM
After today I’m convinced the clutch is defiantly not slipping. A new set of tires and some Texas red clay had me wheeling out of every corner. I guess it was just the deep sand I was in that made it feel like it was slipping.

slightlybent47
11-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Here are a few pics from practice on Sunday.

http://i56.tinypic.com/34f1gna.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/s1q63k.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/2uhvknm.jpg

81-Honda-04
11-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Nice pics

I have a clutch question also. I ride a 2004 400ex and if never gotten into the clutch, it doesnt seem to slip much unless I dont have enough traction, but I have gone through 2 clutch cables in about 6-8 rides! and this is just messin around my yard or in the country. I noticed that my clutch is very very tight and wears out my hand quickly. I had a +2 motion pro freshly lubed and ready to go and that broke after about 6 hours of riding... So my question is do i need a whole new clutch kit? or just the plates? also idk if I want another Motion Pro since they wont even refund my cable i just got and only had for 3 weeks so any thoughts on cables?..

slightlybent47
11-22-2010, 07:12 PM
I use the stock cable and the AVS lever, so it’s very easy to pull. Unless you are getting bad cables then it should last much longer then you say you are getting. I race and practice hard like I am racing and mine seems to be holding up under the extra wear and tear. If yours is hard to pull then it could be normal or it could be the springs or the plates sticking together or both. The springs I would think would get weaker over time. Are you riding in muddy or wet conditions? I would think that even though some seem to last longer then others could be due to the way it ridden or the conditions it’s ridden in and of course like all things that are mass produced they all wear deferent.
Also it seems that with the ex there is a debate over weather conventional oil verses synthetic oil will cause clutch problems.
I hope that helps.

81-Honda-04
11-22-2010, 07:19 PM
well I ride just about every condition ive been out hydroplaning, mudding, track, sand.. ext. and i use just the general Honda ATV oil i get from my local shop.. Is there a way to tell whats worn if i get into it?

440ex. ehhh!!
11-22-2010, 07:28 PM
check and see where the cable is breaking.
i broke 2 cables in 2 months, so i looked at them and both broke where they mount to the lever. its a msr lever, without the parking brake thing. everytime i pulled the clutch in, the cable would scrape along the side of the lever, and thats where it kept breaking. i just filed that down a bit, threw some grease in there, and it hasn't broke in 3 months.
the 440 is parked now though.
for sale.

Josh

slightlybent47
11-22-2010, 07:34 PM
Yes you can tell if it worn by inspecting it, but you have to pull the cover and remove the springs and plats and disks to do it. If it turns out its fine then it will cost you a gasket and some time. You may be getting crap in the cable and you need to get a cable lube kit to keep it cleaned out. Also there are several companies that make an easy pull leaver that helps reduce the pull on the lever and makes it easer to pull.

81-Honda-04
11-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Well I have an ASV lever and the first cable broke in my stock lever with the parking brake and the second broke in the ASV both where they mount and the Motion Pro was lube before i put it on.. So if i was to get a new kit what is best?

440ex. ehhh!!
11-23-2010, 06:20 PM
maybe it is just your clutch springs that are too stiff or something.check that out, but as for cable, no idea, i used motion pro, maybe try the stock one, or see how your current one lasts

Josh