PDA

View Full Version : Primary gear removal?

JTrider
11-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Im in the process of replacing the cam chain and I'm wondering how to remove the primary? I already removed the clutch basket but I'm guessing that needs to be on there to hold the gear? I don't have the tool to pinch the gears so is there a way to remove it? Can I hold it from the other side that tells you when your at TDC? or can I place it in gear and try?

Thanks,
Jason

Scro
11-16-2010, 07:29 PM
You can put a penny between the gears to keep it from spinning. The copper is softer than the gear, so you don't have to worry about damaging the gears.

3400ben
11-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Scro
You can put a penny between the gears to keep it from spinning. The copper is softer than the gear, so you don't have to worry about damaging the gears.

Is that called pinching a penny

JTrider
11-16-2010, 08:49 PM
Makes sense! Thanks for the tip. I ended up taking off the oil pump which was only three bolts and I was able to get the chain off. Thanks again for the advise.

slightlybent47
11-17-2010, 11:29 PM
Well technically pennies are now made of aluminum and zinc, but they are still softer then steal. When copper reached $1.52 a pound, pennies became more voluble for there copper then there face value because it takes 152 pennies to make a pound. So they went to a cheaper metal and just copper clad them now.