PDA

View Full Version : 400ex not charging.

mtrombla08
11-16-2010, 06:50 PM
i have 2005 400ex that doesnt seem to want to hold a charge. i put a brand new battery in it. the bike stays running if i pull wire from battery so the stator is working right? the bike will start up once i get goin and work for a few hours. but if i go to start it the next day it is dead. any ideas? im thinking i might have a short or nicked wire somewhere. any input would be great. thanks.

dr qwerty
11-16-2010, 08:10 PM
So you are sure the batt is good? just because it is new doesn't mean it is good.
Also a stator isn't exactly like a alternator, so the pulling wire i'm not sure if it works...

Thumpin440ex
11-16-2010, 09:00 PM
Where did you get the batt from. I ahave have seen the best of batt;s be no good from the begging, it happens.. Make sure you have a good connection on all wires that go to the batt and the system..Load test the batt. Last case is that the stator took a crap...

John

trailrider894
11-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
Where did you get the batt from. I ahave have seen the best of batt;s be no good from the begging, it happens.. Make sure you have a good connection on all wires that go to the batt and the system..Load test the batt. Last case is that the stator took a crap...

John

maybe grammar is your problem??? :eek2: ha ha ha no pun intended. Just a thought.

rubbersdown
11-16-2010, 10:07 PM
If the stator crapped out the bike usually wont run properly because its the stator that sends the ignition pulses to the coil so dont even worry about your stator for now.
Just take a voltmeter and hook it to your battery. Start your quad, The volt meter should show around 15.5V getting sent to your battery when the bikes at around 5,000 RPM. If it shows much less or none than your regulator/rectifier is bad. If its showing the 15.5V then your battery is bad even though its new.

Thumpin440ex
11-17-2010, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
maybe grammar is your problem??? :eek2: ha ha ha no pun intended. Just a thought.

Sorry there teach.. I was on my phone when I wrote that... Do you have any tips on how to be perfect???

John

trailrider894
11-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
Sorry there teach.. I was on my phone when I wrote that... Do you have any tips on how to be perfect???

John

ha ha for sure. If you were on phone its understandable. lol Anyluck fixing your problem? I had a similar problem on my old polaris trail boss 330... it went through 4 batters in 6 months.... i now just keep it trickled charged. If the initial charge isn't done right and it runs dead, sometimes they just won't ever re-charge... i usually try to buy one with a warranty for that reason. Really wasn't trying to be critical just messing around. lol

coreo5
11-18-2010, 11:11 PM
whem the battery is dead jump start it roll stat it whatever. take both leads of a multimeter and put it on both battery terminals. make sure u put the multimeter on a 12v dc setting. with the motor running check the voltage across the battery...if all is charging well you should read somewhere around 12.8 to 13.2....check that and reply back to us