PDA

View Full Version : 7.3 Powerstroke - BAD SENSOR! HELP!!

Brauap
11-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Hey guys! We have a 2001 7.3 Powerstroke (F350) and some sort of sensor is bad on the truck.. the truck will only run if you let it warm up about 15 minutes.. then it will run great! Anyone have any idea on what the sensor may be??

Thank You!
Colton W.

CJM
11-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Bad glow plugs probably. So you gotta plug it in then it will run or it will run after you let it idle for 15 mins?

Or it could be the famous cam position sensor-but that usually causes idle surging and causes the truck to stall alot.

Did you scan it to see if any codes are stored?

Kickstarts-suck
11-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by CJM

Did you scan it to see if any codes are stored?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ;)

deathman53
11-16-2010, 06:36 PM
it did have problems w/ the cam sensor. Ford did issue a recall on it, my 97 was recalled. Also a recall was issued for the master cylinder wiring/plunger, it leaked or something when the cruise was used.

bloodswet&gears
12-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Unplug the exhaust backpressure regulator. Its at the bottom of the turbo pedestal. Has 2 wires. connector has a wire clip.
We leavem unplugged. What that regulator does is block off the exhaust until the eng. warms up so you get heat in the cab quicker.

If that dont do the trick go to autozone or somewhere and pull the codes. Even if the check eng. light is not on it still may have codes.

Brauap
12-08-2010, 06:24 AM
The other day my dad had gotten sick and tired of it so he took it an and had it ran on the computer to see what was wrong (before we took it there we replaces the cam sensor and it wasn't the problem) and the guy there just had to re-program some things now it runs FANTASTIC! He also told my father he needed to run lighter weight oil because since the injectors run off the oil and the oil is so thick only 1 injector my work when first started and as the oil warms up and becomes thinner it will fire another and another, etc... so with the new programming and the lighter weight oil it is running GREAT! I went out the other day (about 15-20*) and I let the glow plugs warm up then it started right up- no problem and ran great!!

Before we took it there the truck was running sooo "lopy" and sounded sooo good! It sounded like we had the biggest drag cam we could find in there! It sent chills down my spine it sounded so good- but then it would stall! :(

But atleast we got the truck going again!

Thanks Guys!

firefighterjosh
12-08-2010, 06:50 AM
What weight oil was he running?

and a ICP sensor I heard can do that

Ruby Soho
12-08-2010, 03:01 PM
the icp sensor gone bad will cause that as well... just unlplug that and if it runs better with it out than theres your problem. if not than look elsewhere.

and glad to hear that you enjoy listening to your injectors inject tears rather than fuel.

JForestZ34
12-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
He also told my father he needed to run lighter weight oil because since the injectors run off the oil and the oil is so thick only 1 injector my work when first started and as the oil warms up and becomes thinner it will fire another

Never heard of this before.. Oil doesn't have a direct effect on injectors.. Maybe if the fuel is gelled up it would cause an issue... Oil I don't think so....

James

Ruby Soho
12-09-2010, 08:02 PM
i think the point trying to be made was that with cold weather, the thicker oil will take longer to warm up. which would in theory explain his truck running like crap cold. because these trucks are driven off of HPO, it would effect the injectors

bloodswet&gears
12-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Glad to hear shes runnin better. The reflash on the pcm changes how that exh. backpressure regulator operates. Down here in Tennessee it dont get cold enough for us to need it, so like i said we leave it unplugged. we also dont have to use thinner oil, but i have heard it used alot up north. We use 15w40 rotella or motorcraft. You could still have an icp problem. some things to look for is oil bleeding through the sensor and soaking the connector. if you have a scan tool the key on eng off value should be 0.24v. usually 0.18-0.24v. it takes 500psi of high pressure oil pressure before they will start. 7.3di's are also bad about the o-rings at the high press. oil pump fittings leaking. or on the lines at the heads.

If you have any questions pm me.I will give you my email address. I worked in Ford dealerships for 20yrs. Diesel certified. I love workin on the 6.0l diesels also.

Troy

KXRida
12-11-2010, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by bloodswet&gears
Unplug the exhaust backpressure regulator. Its at the bottom of the turbo pedestal. Has 2 wires. connector has a wire clip.
We leavem unplugged. What that regulator does is block off the exhaust until the eng. warms up so you get heat in the cab quicker.

If that dont do the trick go to autozone or somewhere and pull the codes. Even if the check eng. light is not on it still may have codes.

What he said. I had an EBP sensor go bad in my 6.4 and it wasn't good. It would over boost real bad, thankfully the turbo's are ok.