PDA

View Full Version : Rebound question

Vampire2800
11-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Of the 3 adjustments per shock, which controls the "drop" of the bike? It has to be one of the screw things on the top or bottom of the shock. I ask because when I land, the bike sometimes bottoms out. I guess I'm just using the entire shock & then some. I just have the stock shocks on it. Thanks in advance.

fearlessfred
11-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Vampire2800
Of the 3 adjustments per shock, which controls the "drop" of the bike? It has to be one of the screw things on the top or bottom of the shock. I ask because when I land, the bike sometimes bottoms out. I guess I'm just using the entire shock & then some. I just have the stock shocks on it. Thanks in advance. compression dampening and the spring is what control bottom out. check your ride height first and set it to to specs, and then start playing with compression adjustments.this may not fix the prob.if u are a heavier rider.keep in mind that making adjustments to cure one prob. can create another. so take small steps,and set ride heigth first.

fearlessfred
11-16-2010, 03:09 PM
the one on the top is compression

Vampire2800
11-16-2010, 04:03 PM
I'm 6'2", 185lbs. Ride height is correct. If the top screw controls compression, the bottom would control dampening, right? Turning right (clockwise) would stiffen, correct? What exactly would each one do specifically?

fearlessfred
11-16-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm 6'2", 185lbs. Ride height is correct. If the top screw controls compression, the bottom would control dampening, right? Turning right (clockwise) would stiffen, correct? What exactly would each one do specifically? you are correct.the top one slows down the compression by turning clockwise and the same on the bottom for rebound.i always setup were i would bottomout on the biggest thing i was comfortable hitting.if u never bottom out,than u have travel that u are not using and is wasted.if u have a lot of hours on the bike, a simple oil change, would help

Vampire2800
11-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Had it since February. It's a 2010 yfz450r. So, bottoming out is actually a good thing & won't do any damage, right?

fearlessfred
11-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Had it since February. It's a 2010 yfz450r. So, bottoming out is actually a good thing & won't do any damage, right? well i wouldnt go so far as to say its a good thing,but if u are only bottoming on the biggest things that are hitting than that means you are using all of your travel and overall ride comfort is better.if you setup stiff enough to were you never bottom than u are sacrificing overall ride quality.excessive bottoming will eventualy do damage.there are members on here that know more about your brand quad ,hopefully they will post with any suggestions.

Vampire2800
11-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Thanks for your help, Fred. Sure appreciate it