PDA

View Full Version : trail tech vapor

beags86
11-16-2010, 11:22 AM
well i shouldn't have to tell you what it is... i am thinking about getting one.

so who has one? do you like it? and is it worth it?

Ian400ex
11-16-2010, 11:26 AM
I can't personally say, so I'm in the same boat as you, but I would like to know how accurate the speedometer is on it, if I had one I could compare it with my gps but I won't be getting one for probably a year or so. With that said, I'd love having a tach and clock. :p

Edit: it's the best and probably the only all-in-one solution at a reasonable price. I believe in the way of tach, there is one called Tiny Tach you can get that also acts as an hour meter.

riotact
11-16-2010, 01:03 PM
Well...I dont have one on my ex but a buddy of mine has one on his coolster 250 buggy.The spedo,temp gauge,hour meter and the trip mileage thing work great.We did verify the speed with his garmin gps and it was spot on.The bad thing is the tach sucks on it.It hooks up with a wire that wraps around your spark plug wire and the rpms are never consistent.I think you can purchase a resistor from them and connect it to the coil on the input side.If you are just getting it for the tach i would pass,but for the other things it has it would be worth it.

beags86
11-16-2010, 02:09 PM
i would be getting it for everything it has on it, hour meter, speedo, tach, time, engine temp, and distance, it has some other things as well.

i think it would nice and neat to have, to track my shift points(just for me to know) to see if mods i might make help. like how much does a spal fan do, or how mush speed diff is there in one gearing change. or my avg mpg trail riding, in one spot vs another. hours on engine for oil changes. etc, etc.

i do want the tach, so it sounds like i should look into getting a better hook up for it then..

riotact
11-16-2010, 03:21 PM
For cooling,it is set up to work with water cooled engines.I'm pretty sure you can cut the oil line on the ex and hose clamp the adapter with the temp sensor in it,or you could fab up a bracket to attach the sensor to the head like the one guy did in the spal fan thread.You can change the lights on it yellow and red for shift points but I'm pretty sure thats gonna work off the tach wire.I remember seeing in his manual that if wrapping the wire didnt work for rpms to call them and they would send you the the resistor hook up for $10.00 so if you order directly from trail tech,just tell them you want that when you order.

beags86
11-16-2010, 05:02 PM
what kid of hookup does the cooling senser use then?

honda400ex2003
11-16-2010, 05:08 PM
i always thought that the temp stuff went on the spark plug and head along with the tach stuff. maybe it was just the tach that went down on the plug. lol steve

bergoff
11-16-2010, 05:32 PM
i had one on my 02 crf450r. i really liked it. it had a shift light and was really nice for watching my temps. they are back lit and very easy to hook up. for the tach you just wrap the wire around the spark plug wire a few times and zip ties it to keep it snug. a temp reading on a 400ex is off of a bolt on the head i think but i've seen guys try to use oil temp instead. for speed you have to replace a bolt on the front rotor and line up a sensor that can read the magent on the bolt and program the vapor for you tire size not to hard. i'm saving up to buy one also. they will tell you max rev, temp, and speed.

riotact
11-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by beags86
what kid of hookup does the cooling senser use then?

It looks like a 250r/banshee temp gauge,but where the gauge is,is where the sensor goes then a wire goes from the sensor to the trail tech.

riotact
11-17-2010, 10:30 AM
The way above would give you the temp of the oil.Or you could make up a bracket for the sensor and attach it to the head like sc400ex_rider did to mount a temp switch.All you would have to do is take the sensor out of the housing,mount it in the bracket,and bolt it to the head then hook up the wire.

riotact
11-17-2010, 10:31 AM
You would only use one wire to the trail tech and not two like in the pics since that is a temp switch and not a sensor.I wanted to use those pics to give you an idea for an alternative mounting spot.

beags86
11-17-2010, 10:57 AM
yeah i had thought of that^ but i am not really sure which would be better, know the engine temp or the oil temp... either one would help... anything is better then stock (nothing)

riotact
11-17-2010, 01:01 PM
You not kidding.If I had to choose I would rather know the temp of the oil itself then you could probly use that also to determine clutch life.