PDA

View Full Version : Smokes A Lot

kookennay
11-16-2010, 10:58 AM
I FEEL LIKE MY WHEELER SMOKES MORE THAN IT SHOULD. LIKE WHEN I FIRST START IT SMOKES A LOT BUT GETS A LITTLE BETTER AFTER I HAVE BEEN RIDING BUT NEVER REALLY GETS BETTER. JUST IDLEING IT SMOKES EXCESSIVELY. WHAT CAN CAUSE THIS. ITS A RESLEEVED CYLINDER 72.5 BORE I MIX IT 36:1 NOT SURE ON THE CARB IT NOT STOCK IT A PWK THAT SAYS 71A4 NEJ ON THE SIDE. ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED!

89rwfo
11-16-2010, 11:01 AM
could be excessive oil build up in the pipe (from a previous owner running it way rich) or it has the right side crank seal leaking and burning crankcase oil.

kookennay
11-16-2010, 11:13 AM
I JUST HAD THE PIPE OFF AND CLEANED IT OUT AND REPACKED THE SILENCER. HOW WOULD I KNOW FOR SURE IF IT THE CRANK SEAL. AND COULD IT BE IT JUST NEEDS A REBUILD? IT BEEN OVER A YEAR ON THIS TOP END BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER HOW LONG IT BEEN SMOKING LIKE THIS.

89rwfo
11-16-2010, 11:26 AM
you would have to do a leakdown test on it. Where you block off the exhaust and pump air in the in the intake (I built my own with a quage some pvc pipe and a expandable rubber plug) I think it has to hold 6 psi for several minutes. If not you have to start listening and looking for leaks. I hope this makes some sort of sense maybe someone else will explain it better.

kookennay
11-16-2010, 11:29 AM
YEAH IT MAKES SENSE I GOT TO PULL THE CLUTCH SIDE COVER OFF ANY WAY TO FIX THE CLUTCH, IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN LOOK FOR IN THERE TO SEE IF IT A SEAL LEAKING?

89rwfo
11-16-2010, 11:39 AM
well i dont think it will be anything obvious that you are gonna be able to see.

86 Quad R
11-16-2010, 12:25 PM
there are a few things that'll cause what you are experiencing. a pilot jet thats too large, a plugged overflow tube in conjunction with a seeping float valve(allowing fuel to over flow into engine), a float thats set too high, a clutch side crank seal and/or a center case gasket.

the best thing to do is to research doing a leakdown test and double check the other ares i mention. :cool:

RyanWsly
11-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Reeds stuck open or broken possibly

kookennay
11-16-2010, 03:00 PM
IT RUNS FINE AND I DON,T THINK IT WOULD BE THE PILOT CAUSE I DON'T THINK IT USED TO DO IT. DO I HAVE TO SPLIT CASES TO GET TO THE CRANK SEAL OR IS BEHIND THE CLUTCH?

86 Quad R
11-16-2010, 03:27 PM
no need to split the cases to replace the seal.

incase you need reference to do a leak down test go HERE (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&postid=2562163#post2562163)

wild250rman
11-16-2010, 03:36 PM
sounds silly but what does the exhaust smell like. pre-mix, motor oil or anti-freeze? or any combo of the above?

kookennay
11-16-2010, 06:22 PM
NO IT SMELLS LIKE IT ALWAYS HAS, NO ANTIFREEZE SMELL THAT WAS MY FIRST THING TO CHECK. I GONNA TRY TO MAKE ME A LEAK DOWN TESTER AND TRY THAT. THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS!

fearlessfred
11-17-2010, 05:06 PM
i could always smell the tranny fluid in the exhuast and the tranny fluid would be low

kookennay
11-19-2010, 10:13 AM
OK IS THERE ANY WAY THE OIL FROM MY CLUTCH BE ABLE TO GET IN MY ANTIFREEZE?

wild250rman
11-19-2010, 01:07 PM
cracked case or bad impeller seal and bearing, check the anti freeze weep hole on the clutch cover and see if any fluid is leaking there!

C-LEIGH RACING
11-19-2010, 01:37 PM
HOW MANY OZ OF OIL IS THAT WHEN YOU MIX 36:1.
neil

kookennay
11-19-2010, 04:05 PM
I NOT SURE I USE A RATIO RITE CUP IT LOOKS LIKE TO BE ABOUT 7 OZ. TO TWO GALLONS.

wild250rman I NOT SEE ANYTHING LEAKING OUT THE WEEPHOLE.

kookennay
11-19-2010, 04:11 PM
I ran it last night again to make sure it wasn't antifreeze making it smoke it definitly smokes blue and not antifreeze smell. but it doen't smell like it usually does. i took the rad cap off and saw a little oil in there and drained it out and it smelled like oil out of the trans not pre mix. I don't know what he hell is going on!

fearlessfred
11-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by kookennay
I ran it last night again to make sure it wasn't antifreeze making it smoke it definitly smokes blue and not antifreeze smell. but it doen't smell like it usually does. i took the rad cap off and saw a little oil in there and drained it out and it smelled like oil out of the trans not pre mix. I don't know what he hell is going on! do your leak down test first and find out if the clutch side main seal is leaking if it is ,than u have to pull the side cover to fix. at that time u can replace the the water pump seals and maybe bearing. i really dont think thats were the oil in coolant is coming from, but u might as well do it while it is apart. if u do have to replace main seal,make sure that u inspect the collar that the seal rides on,to make sure that it is not groved ( note at what depth the seal is going into cases before removing seal) if it is groved,u can put the seal in at a slightly diff.depth,to avoid the groved area. when pulling the clutch side cover off i leave the coolant hoses on to avoid the coolant mess and i also raise that side of the quad , so the gear oil dosnt have to be drained until after repair,to remove any dirt that may have fell in. the reason i suggested leaving the hoses on was so if u wanted u could preasure test the system to see if water pump seal is holding. this will not ck. the oil seal,so its prob,not worth doing ,keep us posted on how its going

kookennay
11-20-2010, 08:22 AM
I already pulled the side cover cause i have to change out the clutch. i turned the water pump with my hand, how easy should it spin by hand? Since i already have to pull the clutch i going to change out the crank seal anyway since i already in there that far. Were can i find the parts for the water pump? I got the seal for the crank off ebay and its a honda one.

kookennay
11-20-2010, 10:15 AM
how many oz.'s per gallon should i be mixing i don't remember how i mixed it before i got that ratio rite cup.

fearlessfred
11-20-2010, 11:17 AM
how many oz.'s per gallon should i be mixing i don't remember how i mixed it before i got that ratio rite cup. you are fine on the two stroke oil. i think neil was just double checking to make sure before someone suggested tearing it apart.if i remember correctly the water pump impeller has some drag on it because of the mechanical seal. i would ck. the bearing for side to side play. as far as parts go ,i dont no were to get them from and i will be asking the same question soon when i start tearing down my 250r thats been sitting for 10 years

kookennay
11-20-2010, 11:20 AM
there is no play on the water pump it and nothing coming out the weep hole so i say it is ok. so i good on my mixing then? if it was leaking oil into the water shouldn't water be in the oil too?

fearlessfred
11-20-2010, 11:41 AM
there is no play on the water pump it and nothing coming out the weep hole so i say it is ok. so i good on my mixing then? i guess that i would ck. the weep hole to make sure its not plugged???? if its not coming out of the weep hole,than i dont no how it could get into the tranny unless the weep hole was plugged some how. in other words it should come out of the weep hole before it could get past the oil seal to get into the tranny. i have seen people try to plug the weep hole

fearlessfred
11-20-2010, 11:49 AM
there is no play on the water pump it and nothing coming out the weep hole so i say it is ok. so i good on my mixing then? if it was leaking oil into the water shouldn't water be in the oil too? on the mixing of two stroke oil. i allways used 4 onces per gallon just because it was simple to put a 16 once bottle into 4 gallons of gas and my piston and rings would last over a hundred hours without excess carbon build up.u are fine were u are at

kookennay
11-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Thats what i thought yeah the weep hole not plugged so i gonna put it back together this week and run it and see. yeah i was thinking i did 4 oz per gallon before just wasn't sure. i usaually do 32:1 with 2 gfallons which makes just under 8 to two gallons.

fearlessfred
11-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Thats what i thought yeah the weep hole not plugged so i gonna put it back together this week and run it and see. yeah i was thinking i did 4 oz per gallon before just wasn't sure. i usaually do 32:1 with 2 gfallons which makes just under 8 to two gallons. good luck with it.i was wandering was the collar that the seal rides on groved (main seal)

kookennay
11-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Are you talking about the crank seal? it was not grooved at all the i could feel. There was like a line on the shaft were the seal was riding before but no groove. It did seem to fit around the shaft a lot tighter that the one i took out. i got it in yesterday but waiting on the kicker seal that goes in the cover so i can put it together. It should be here today.

kookennay
11-27-2010, 01:02 PM
I got it together today rode it a little bit and it seems better. Dont have much room at the shop to ride it so i gonna take it home and ride it tomorrow.

kookennay
11-29-2010, 03:07 PM
the smoking is a million times better but i figured out were my oil in the water coming from. it is pre mix but its burnt like it only leaking when it fires. and the last three or four times i have pulled the cap off the radiator it has been low. My overflow bottle is pretty much black now inside it. If the base gasket is leaking can it mix like that or only the head gasket?

fearlessfred
11-29-2010, 05:26 PM
head gasket

kookennay
11-29-2010, 07:01 PM
thanks fearlessfred guess thats my next move.