PDA

View Full Version : Thumb or Twist throttle?

Dirtdog400
11-16-2010, 06:12 AM
Son started racing Harescrambles, currently has Motion Pro twist throttle. Just curious of riders opinions. Races are 1.5 to 2 hours long.

CJM
11-16-2010, 06:47 AM
Thumb, twists are not safe on these things b/c if you hit a bump, land awkwardly, etc you can hold the grip and away you go into the wall or something.

Scro
11-16-2010, 06:59 AM
If he can ride with a twist and feel comfortable with it, there's really no advantage to switch back to a thumb. In fact, it may be a disadvantage when it comes to arm/thumb pump. Now if you are saying he's used to a thumb and is going to try out the twist at the races...well, that's just a death trap. You have to learn to relax, unlike a thumb where you can hang on for dear life.

Ian400ex
11-16-2010, 07:42 AM
Both if you want to spend the money. Moose racing makes a device that has thumb and twist active (and you even have the ability to put in a locking pin on the fly for the twist). It's about $150 (ebay) iirc. Only bad thing is, I think it's made for the stock carbureator (once again, iirc) which may be a problem if you have a twist carb + like your carb.

There's a thread on it.

Ian400ex
11-16-2010, 07:44 AM
http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.jsp?level1=1756&level2=1783&level3=1816&level4=1834&product_group_id=7399

If you find the thread it illustrates the part a little better.

-TheDude-
11-16-2010, 09:11 AM
borich along with many other top pros run twist. it will reduce fatigue but is something that gets better with practice

trailrider894
11-16-2010, 01:04 PM
CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pSjKyclDPA)

This is the risk he could run... If he rides a thumb throttle long enough, he will get used to it. I have been riding for while and i think your thumb gets stronger the more you ride until " thumb pump " isn't a problem.

Dirtdog400
11-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks for all the info, he's been using twist but was curious about switching to thumb. We're running stock carb and have complete stock thumb set-up. Pretty simple swap, maybe I'll try it this week, rain today, and let him give it a good test run to decide for Sunday's race. Only issue is, I'll have to pick up some new atv grips cause twist uses motorcycle grip.

riotact
11-16-2010, 01:11 PM
If I were racing I would stick with the thumb or switch to it just for safety reasons.The atv grips are way smaller on the end and if you dont change em the thumb throttle will stick on it.Had to learn that one the hard way :D At least I was not riding when it happened.

togup
11-18-2010, 04:05 PM
I have a terry cable dual control i am very happy with it the pin that locks the twist throttle would be very hard to unlock under racing conditions but its cool to be able to swap, also the thumb lever is longer than stock so theres not much arm pump.

-TheDude-
11-18-2010, 05:57 PM
id he runs a twist get a 1/8 or 1/4 twist throttle, if he runs a thumb buy a 400ex thumb throttle and get a trx90 throttle lever and put it in it will lighten the load pushing in the throttle. thats the best combo to run a thumb tons of people use it that race

Dirtdog400
11-18-2010, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the info on dual set-up and 400ex with trx90 lever. He's been riding over a year with a twist and was curious about racing with thumb. After some thought, he'll run this Sunday with current twist set-up. It's the last race of the season and then we can play with thumb set-up with trx90 lever!