PDA

View Full Version : Reliable?

Simon MX49
11-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Thinkin about buying a 450XC. How reliable have they been for any owners out there. any problems at a certain hour mark, aka crank, rod, tranny, valves, top end, wheel bearings, anything like that?

BenHonda400ex
11-16-2010, 03:54 PM
I have never owned a ktm atv but I can tell you you will just what you pay for.. No one can dominate the ktm they're just to good... I have heard usually the xc have a checkup 100 hours of riding time but I'm just guessing... But if you want a race bike get the 450 sx they have way more power

minichopper
01-22-2011, 09:46 PM
i have a 2008 ktm 450 xc and around 100 hours the motor locked up, even after i check it a few times. I dont know if i just got a bad one, but i would not recommend one i would go for the suzuki ltr or the yamaha yfz

BenHonda400ex
01-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by minichopper
i have a 2008 ktm 450 xc and around 100 hours the motor locked up, even after i check it a few times. I dont know if i just got a bad one, but i would not recommend one i would go for the suzuki ltr or the yamaha yfz Did you take it to the Ktm Shop?

IdahoMX
01-23-2011, 07:53 AM
I havent had mine long enough to make a good call on that one. I can tell you the oil system in the motor is top knotch, 3 screen filters,2 oil filters and a magnetic plug to clean the oil. Frame is as solid as a aftermarket with the fit of oem. Lightest one out there and makes good power all over. I was going to get the sx but after reading on them there a lot more maintenance and tend to have more issues then the xc. I opted for the 525xc with the sx arms and ohlins dampner.

witech
01-23-2011, 08:12 AM
I believe they found a fix for the 450 crank problems. It involves modding the rod bearing cage so it doesnt scrape against the journals .

ibleedgreener
01-24-2011, 02:10 PM
I put 70 race hours on my last season. Not one single problem. I raced a trx, yfz and kfx in prior seasons and had multiple issues with each one. I couldn't be more pleased with mine.

Thumper Racing just finished up my 570bbk and the motor is on the way back to me. I can't wait to see how she performs this year!

walty
01-25-2011, 07:13 AM
4xc in our group all with 100+++hrs on them and motor are Stills perfect

Smoker
03-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Probably just as reliable as any of the other brands at this point, Honda used to be the standard of reliability, now they all have their own issues.

krt400ex
03-15-2011, 04:33 PM
no problems to report with mine yet. i've had it for 11 months now. i dont have a ton of hours on it though(only about 40) but i do ride the piss out of it everytime i'm not it. it is by far the most solid machine i have ever ridden. very comfortable, suspension is incredible, engine is strong all the way through the rpm range and its smooth. excellent machine and well worth the money

kamyk
03-28-2011, 07:00 AM
I have never owned a ktm atv but I can tell you you will just what you pay for.. No one can dominate the ktm they're just to good... I have heard usually the xc have a checkup 100 hours of riding time but I'm just guessing... But if you want a race bike get the 450 sx they have way more power

Saying that SX got way more power is overestimation. They are very close to XC maybe 2hp difference.

XC very reliable
SX reliable but require a lot of maintenance

Both SX and XC got great power from stock engines.

Done 120mh on my 2008 XC before I sold it without doing any motor work.

scotturban
05-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Ive heard of a some issues with people not being able to keep the sx's running but from what ive heard (never owned a ktm) the xc's are good bikes and are very reliable.