PDA

View Full Version : R wont run issues.

MANIAK 88R
11-15-2010, 08:03 PM
I replied to the other thread but here's a fresh one for those of you with spiratic issues and non-starting issues.

My syptoms were.....
Lein, rich, lein, rich, lien, rich, etc. I couldn't get the jetting to stick. I changed reeds, pipes, carbs, cyl,etc.
Bike wouldn't cold start until you kicked your leg off or pull started it. (I assumed this was a jetting issue)
Using the headlights caused the engine to go way ritch, load up and wouldn't hardly start (lots more kicking). I assumed this was also a jetting issue due to the climate change at night.
The "powerband" was all over the place making the bike extremely hard to ride ( constant shifting)

After going through everything I could think of, it was actually the headlight issue that started my attention to the electrical system. I was told that the light was drawing too much juice and that the engine didn't have enough voltage to fire the coil properly.

Ok, that made sense, I ordered a high output stator from Ricky stator. Slapped that puppy on and presto... not a damn thing, now it wouldn't even fire if I pulled it. I'm thinking they sent me a bad stator. I called their tech line they gave me testing procedures to go through. Also the 250r clymer manual has fairly detailed procedure to test an electrical system.

Out came the ohm meter, I couldn't find a problem. Day before we leave for the coast I take it to a friend of mine, he nor I can figure it out. We swap out the entire electrical system including the harness. Still nothing.... (didn't swap the flywheel though)

I load the pig in the trailer and off to pismo we go. ESR is about 4 blocks from the beach. I load the bike in the truck and of to ESR we go. They're the go-roo's right?.... well.

Their counter salesman was more than happy to sell me a CR ignition or if I wanted to drop the bike off they could look at it a week later. I have every billet part that these guys sell and they treated me like so retard off the street. You would think that an employee of ESR would have some basic knowledge of a 250R... Right?.... Nope not their counter guy, or their porting guy, or their CNC guy. 3 employees working and yet they didn't know a damn thing about how these engines work. After an hour of talking to retards, Jay gets there. Finally someone that actually knows more about a 250R than I do. I gave him the rundown.

The next word out of his mouth was did you change the flywheel?

He had a used flywheel that he sold me for like $20 bucks or something.

He told me to pull my flywheel, shake it and if it rattles, it is bad.

Sure enough, bad flywheel, I switched it and WOW what a difference. I had to jet waaay richer and my headlight was alot brighter. The bike started on the first kick too.

I have wondered how many people have changed to the CR ignition and it solving their problem not just because it's better but because it comes with a different flywheel???

The magnet in the stock flywheel can break apart internally causing the magnetic pickup to fire spiratically.

I am not an expert, I just had this happen to me and this is how I fixed it. I would stongly suggest unless you just have to have a CR-Ingnition to properly diagnos every last inch of your electrical system. In hind sight, everything I was doing with the fuel, pipes, carbs, etc was a waste of time. It is very likely that my flywheel had been the problem all along.

Thanks, MJ

red88r
11-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the good info. man....appreciate it!

norcalduner
11-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Awesome info dude, thanks for sharing this and your insightful commentary of ESR :D I have had my own battles with them but that is another thread for another time.

jcs003
11-16-2010, 11:26 AM
godd info. thanks.

another point to add. if the bike could get started, could this issue affect ideling?

MANIAK 88R
11-16-2010, 11:58 AM
I couldn't get my bike to idle before I replaced the flywheel. After changing it, it fired first kick and idled without touching the throttle at all for about 4 - 5 minutes cold with the choke on. Yes, the idle was drastically affected by the flywheel problem.

trx250racer
11-16-2010, 12:58 PM
AWESOME INFO MAN!!!

ALOT OF PEOPLE ASSUME THAT BECAUSE THE FLYWHEEL IS A BIG HUNK OF METAL NOTHING CAN GO WRONG WITH IT. I HAVE HEARD A CASE WHERE THE RIVETS HAVE BECOME SLIGHTLY LOOSE AND CAUSE BIG PROBLEMS ASWELL..

I AM CURIOUS WHAT ACECARLOS WOULD HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THIS!! LOL

86 Quad R
11-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by trx250racer
I AM CURIOUS WHAT ACECARLOS WOULD HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THIS!! LOL

juss leave it bro. :rolleyes:

smokinwrench
11-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Thanks

I have been fighting some weird problems

difficulty jetting
hard to get to idle correctly
sometimes difficult starting
running hot intermittently

I will pull my flywheel soon and shake it.