PDA

View Full Version : In need of a pull start

lt80kid
11-15-2010, 05:53 PM
In need of a pull start for the boy's lt . I am not going to put anther starter on this thing . I am really starting to dislike this little atv .

LT80
11-16-2010, 05:56 AM
I hardly ever see any used ones. :(

Buy a chinese quad, you'll learn to love the LT. :D

cannondale27
11-16-2010, 09:21 PM
So true!

hawaiianbasshed
11-19-2010, 11:23 AM
you know, I just picked up a full motor off ebay this week and all it needed to run was the pull starter off my sons other motor lol. wouldn't start at all with the starter it had on it. and rather than swap starters or anything I decided I'd just try it with the pull starter and it fired up easily lol.

(broke another case and was lazy to crack the case again and got a good deal on the full motor anyway) (and it broke with the snow hogs jack incase you were wondering LOL, but it was the side that I didn't replace the carrier bracket bolt mounts are what broke so the axle could walk, it was missing half the bolts as they were broken since we got it tho in the bikes defense)now I just need to do a compression test on, if it needs to be freshened up I'll throw my milled head on it and maybe shave the block after the reed cage so I can run the large carb/vforce reeds I have on it and see how she rips :D use the old motor for parts I guess...

this is my 3rd LT80 all 3 were non runners then I bought two full motors off ebay and in the end all I have to show for it is one LT80 that we're forever breaking something on LOL. love the kids modded kasea 90. I didn't think it was as fast as the LT80s other motor with the milled head and large carb setup. but it's definitely faster than the current motor setup lol. plus the suspension is 10x better since it's full trx250r front end and a true swingarm rear with an elka shock on back :D

sucks the LT80s had to use the motor as a swing arm. someone has to make a conversion setup that uses like some DRR, kasea or eton swing arm... my buddy has the stocker from one of his cobra's I may have to go ask for it lol. plus I have a stock kasea 90 frame at his house and full roller pretty much... maybe I need to build it to house the other LT80 motor :D we'll see I guess...

cannondale27
11-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Hawaiian you do realize that your Kasea is in a 250r chassis?Yet it sounds as if you are defending the Chinese quads.Why do you think someone put the Kasea in a R chassis?It wouldn't be that difficult to mount a LT motor in a R chassis either.But then it is not a LT or a R!Just I have seen to many disappointed kids who have literally trashed their Chinese junk riding on a perfectly flat lawn.Then the parents have to either attempt to fix(good luck) or they have to get a good quad and basicly write off $ spent on junk instead of riding.I will admit a pull starter would be nice for those cold days when system has a hard time turning motor over but otherwise it works great once started up and warm.Some of the little kids riding LT's would not be able to start the quad without one.Dont fall into the Chinese trap it just is not worth it.

hawaiianbasshed
11-19-2010, 01:44 PM
so what are you saying about guys who've run kasea's with kasea frames that can jump higher than LT80s that're prone to cracking motor cases if doing a one wheel land? the kasea frame was ditched as my buddy who built it had an R frame sitting from one of his old R rollers, so it was converted to dual a-arms/front disc ect for less than the cost of a long travel dual a-arm kit for the kasea since he already had the stuff and did his own work (I happened to get it for $800 built the way it sits), it was scaled off one of his sons' Cobras (he has two, one with a cobra shifter and one with a cr80 shifter) chassis. the old kasea frame is still good and has no cracks. matter of fact. my sons LT80 frame is cracked all over, welded then re-welded (got it like that) and it has a new crack and I nor he have jumped it more than 2' off the ground :confused: you can make claims but a mildly modded TAIWAN (Drr, Apex, Kasea, Eton, Dinli, Polaris predator ect) bike will be reliable more so than a china (sunl, rocketa, yadda yaddda ect, ect) bike. At least know the difference between what you're saying before jumping on me. I never said I had a china quad, I said I like our sons off brand bike better suspension wise than the LT80 and motor wise... and I like the fact that our LT80 has a pull starter. I don't know if you're having a bad day or if I'm just reading into it too much. but if you are trying to take something out on me, but from where I'm sitting I feel like you're trying to claim this discontinued bike is for some reason gods gift and that my sons bike is so custom with the bubble gum weld job that it is somehow far superior to a slightly modded stock Tai bike frame. to which I'll gladly reply you're sadly mistaken.

the rear of my sons bike is a STOCK kasea swing arm so the shock was the after market off the shelf elka pos but for us it's such an upgrade over the aftermarket pos shocks on the LT80 I'm just super happy with it.

I'm not bragging up and down how good it is nor how I'm better than anyone. we *my son and I both* can't ride our bikes worth a damm an I'd probably get passed on my 450 by 90 or even 70 mod kids if I got on a track with them. and both of our bikes are pieces of crap compared to alot of modded bikes that are less equipped I've seen a kasea 90 with kasea frame and long travel dual arms and such that would spank my 450 on a track. I couldn't say that about any modded LT80s I've seen at least not on a moto/super cross track. you would have to beat me on the ground provided your LT80 were fast enough as the kind of air it would take to beat me in the air an LT80 simply cannot handle without a real swing arm imo.

yes, ANY motor could be dropped into any full sized frame and be made to have killer suspension. at that point I doubt I'd do it myself using an LT80 motor if I didn't already have one laying here... I'd really rather do it with a rm or yz 85 motor or even a street bike motor if I were to dump real money/effort into a hybrid. I'm sorry if I come off as someone who's bragging. I'm proud of the crappy stuff we have and I'm sure there ARE very awesome LT80s out there but without custom fabbing I don't see it worth alot for MX or very high jumps.

Like I said above, I want to get my buddies cobra stock length swinger and see if we can make it work for an LT80 so we don't break cases anymore as that's one of my biggest problems with ours along with needing gussets here and there on the frame but most bikes doing jumping if not built specifically for MX type riding will pretty much need gussets. in fact I want to gusset my ltr450 just to be safe. my other buddy is in the process of gusseting his 250r while we're on the subject lol

oh, the nicest kasea skyhawk 90 I've seen was from Brandon Smitley I believe his name is on this forum, that thing is BAD it's got alot of money in after market but unless you're doing the fabbing or getting some hell of a deal an LT80 will likely not get to that level without more money and a real swing arm. front is no problems with the diamond J 300ex conversion but the rear still needs a traditional swinger imo.

cannondale27
11-19-2010, 02:34 PM
I know the difference between a Taiwan quad and a Chinese one.But others dont and you never mentioned it in your post bragging about the Kasea.Just clarifying things.Why are we even talking about a Kasea in a LT forum?

LT80
11-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Don't make me get in between you fellas...:D :D

"05 raptor 660 sold 10-19-10"
Instead,,,,,Let's talk about how smart he was to get rid of that dam yamahaha. :devil:

hawaiianbasshed
11-19-2010, 04:06 PM
he's just mad because he rides a bike that is hard to get parts for LOL j/k

yeah, I sold it. I'm actually wanting to sell my 450 too... everything is for sale for a price :D

I think I should put a bunch of money/effort into our LT80 to get it sick suspension wise as the motor is easy to make fast just send the parts to Jack LOL

speaking of which, how would one of your national motors do compared to a 2 fast drr or apex build say in a drag race?

or TT or flat track?

I wanna get an idea of how fast the LT80 would be if I pony up one day for the national build :D

cannondale27
11-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Isnt it Yamamoto:p

Dont worry Hawiian I got suckered too.At dealer show the Chinese get rid of all thier display models to avoid shipping them back.So they sell them rather than throwing them into the sea.I bought the coolest looking pitbike.Cheap.Brought it home,put gas in it and it started right up.I swear it shed at least half the nuts and bolts on it in the first minute!Fixed that with Loctite and replacing all the whitemetal bolts and nuts I could.It shifted like crap and bicycle chain stretched by 4 inches in first 5 minutes.So I parked it back in shop out of disgust.Next morning I walk into shop only to see about a 20ft puddle of gas on floor.Why because instead of molding a nut into the tank for Petcock they just heat up a flange nut and ram it in tank!Was leaking there.That was it I sold it for less than I paid for it with very stern warning that it was a piece of junk.Even with warning it sold in one day.Its no wonder they are being sold.But its not right and almost dangerous.My Cannondale doesnt need parts unless I crash.Plenty around.

hawaiianbasshed
11-19-2010, 04:47 PM
they're fast and I believe they had the original fuel injected quads didn't they? weren't they like a 440 or something? sick bikes for sure. I'd like to have one over my ltr lol

yeah, I had a chinese pitbike that I got used with a chinese mini chopper for $120 for the pair. I got them running (bought them both broken and run WAAAAAAY down then ended up getting $550 fort he pair :eek2: the guy who bought the pitbike emailed me a month or two later saying the stator went and wanted to know where I got my parts from lol. the chopper the guy let his daughter ride she got scared and let it ghost ride and broke the twist throttle where the cable enters the throttle so he had to use tie wire to hold the throttle cable onto the throttle... I put a 1/4 turn twist throttle on the pitbike so I told him I could get him one and he never got back to me. I ask him from time to time and he says yeah, but they don't ride it anymore anyway lol. if I pull the 1/4 turn off the LT80 I'll sell it to him at cost and put it on for free. has a better throttle cable anyway lol

yeah, china bikes are the best *note sarcasm*. tai bikes with money can go good imo, but overall yes, the jap bikes can't be beat! actually the pitsters are china bikes I believe but are supposedly pretty mean bikes! I hear the build 155 or whatever it is that can run in the same class as the 2 stroke 90s, that it can beat the 2 fast motors... but I forget what all it had, and I don't think we have a pitster dealer in hawaii :( I'd LOVE to get one and trick it out for my kid (yeah, he needs a bike that can handle someone about my size/weight and go pretty fast lmfao)