PDA

View Full Version : yfz450/trx450r hybrid

Rohr397
11-15-2010, 11:06 AM
I've got a trx450r that I want to improve the handling on at a low cost. With a bit of my own work and some yfz450 parts I would like to build a mx worthy quad. I wanted to know if the yfz rear shock can be fit to the trx and possibly the front a-arms. I also wanted to know what other things can be done for a low cost to improve the trx since I'm starting this from scratch. Anything under 1000 per mod. Motor work, handling all that stuff. Thanks

hontrx265r
11-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Kind of the wrong kind of approach to a hybrid. Both of those bikes apart from each other can be made very nice mx quads with the parts available. However they weren't really meant to me mixed up. The point of a "hybrid" usually the way they are built here is to take an engine from something not found in a quad. Then choose a worthy platform "tend to be honda 250r based, if mx'ing" And as nicely, and as perfectly as your willing to work for, put them together, and ride it in to the ground.

Rohr397
11-15-2010, 09:14 PM
So where do you suggest I try reposting?

audioworks04
11-16-2010, 09:09 PM
What makes you think the yfz rear shock is any better than the trx one? I would take off both your front and rear shocks and send them off to someone like race tech and have them rebuilt, sprung and valved. motor work, best bang for the buck is hrc kit. What year is your trx? 04-05 fcr is a pretty large improvement over stock. The stock valves are made out of poor quality metal, replace them with stainless steel ones with titanium springs and retainers, and add port work at the same time if your budget provides.

Rohr397
11-17-2010, 08:23 AM
I've tried re-valving and getting them sprung but they blow out to quickly. I talked to someone who said the Yfz shocks work better when rebuilt. Plus they lower the front end of the
Trx enough to improve handling. The rear shock is larger in diameter and works really well. I'll probably do all that HRC stuff.

250x_kyle
11-18-2010, 10:37 AM
spend the dime on a good lt front end for your 450r. mixing in a yfz front end is a geometry disaster wating to happen in my eyes unless its done correctly.

beastlywarrior
11-18-2010, 01:59 PM
just sell the trx and get a yfz