PDA

View Full Version : Can the Rear plastic Mounting style be converted?

troybilt
11-15-2010, 08:27 AM
I hate the floppy plastic on the rear of the 250r, so much so that I made brackets to hard mount the lower fenders of my Maier rears. Has anyone converted the rear plastic to be hard mounted to the frame, i.e. not mounted to the seat? ...just like the 450r and every other bike ever made? So when you take the seat off JUST the seat comes off?

atvmxr
11-15-2010, 08:46 AM
if you cut the lower part off even with sides, that should help. most of my R plastics are pretty stiff in comparison to the other quads...

250Renvy
11-15-2010, 09:45 AM
I think it would be difficult as the other quads have a provision for the airbox. If you hard mount the fenders to the frame, you will need to cutout the center for the airbox and in the long run will likely make them more susceptible to cracking or possibly more floppy.

Chino886
11-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by troybilt
I hate the floppy plastic on the rear of the 250r, so much so that I made brackets to hard mount the lower fenders of my Maier rears. Has anyone converted the rear plastic to be hard mounted to the frame, i.e. not mounted to the seat? ...just like the 450r and every other bike ever made? So when you take the seat off JUST the seat comes off?

YOu have any pics of these so called brackets? I was thinking that this weekend when I was in the garage messing around, but opted to pick up the grinder and do some porting instead. :devil:

troybilt
11-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Chino886
YOu have any pics of these so called brackets? I was thinking that this weekend when I was in the garage messing around, but opted to pick up the grinder and do some porting instead. :devil:

No, I think I posted them once and the thread was lost into the oblivion...

...porting a 2 stroke cylinder or you 4 stroke heads?

Are you picking up that frame tonight?

Chino886
11-15-2010, 10:05 AM
No, I think I posted them once and the thread was lost into the oblivion...

...porting a 2 stroke cylinder or you 4 stroke heads?

Are you picking up that frame tonight?

Make me a set of them fender mounts....;)

I was porting for a customer, not on my own stuff.......still have much to learn, still a young padawan! :p

farmer250r
11-15-2010, 10:26 AM
go to the home page.and look at the quads of the month.
look at quads of the month 2010
septembers quad of the month
heres somthing i found.its a hybrid 250r with crf450 motor.looks preedy good to me.i wonder if we could figure how he set this up.if so i no ill be doing it to my 86 250r!!!!:D :D :D

jcs003
11-15-2010, 10:30 AM
you might be able to do something similiar to how a banshee or warrior rears are mounted.

troybilt
11-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by farmer250r
go to the home page.and look at the quads of the month.
look at quads of the month 2010
septembers quad of the month
heres somthing i found.its a hybrid 250r with crf450 motor.looks preedy good to me.i wonder if we could figure how he set this up.if so i no ill be doing it to my 86 250r!!!!:D :D :D

yep that's a fliptop frame... usually used for the rearward kick starters... my Laeger is not a flip top sub frame though, otherwise yes that would be an option.

troybilt
11-15-2010, 10:48 AM
I should also point out that OEM fenders its not a problem, they have a molded area for that cross brace that attaches to the plastic and seat... not so for maier or Fullbores. If you cut them, then you're back to needing heel guards...

Honda 250r 001
11-15-2010, 04:58 PM
I should also point out that OEM fenders its not a problem, they have a molded area for that cross brace that attaches to the plastic and seat... not so for maier or Fullbores. If you cut them, then you're back to needing heel guards...

When I got my Maier fenders, they came with two 90 degree brackets that you drilled holes in the fender and bolted the right angle piece to the fender, then the oem wire brace fed through the hole and it holds pretty good. I wasnt sure if you had known this or not.

Also I know of people who have bolted the bottom of the fender, where you heel goes, to the sub-frame with some small brackets that held it dang sturdy.

troybilt
11-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001

Also I know of people who have bolted the bottom of the fender, where you heel goes, to the sub-frame with some small brackets that held it dang sturdy.

Thats what I've done now, I want to be able to pop the seat off without taking the rear fenders off.